Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Birdwell length and styles ?

Doug C

Practically Family
I've been considering placing an order for a couple pairs of board shorts from Birdwell Beach Britches and don't want to make a big mistake and order the wrong style. There's seems to be basically no pictures on the internet of people actually wearing the shorts... well not the more resent longer styles anyway (18" - 21" in regular and/or loose fit). You can find an occasional pic of the original ones being worn (the 301 model) but they're going to be shorter than I want. So, I'm thinking the 303's, 323's, 333, 363 would probably be the best choice for me.. but which ones? Does anybody here have any that they can comment on? I'm thinking the 323's because they are long at 21" but are supposedly not made any looser than the original. Comments?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Doug, it comes down to personal preference with the Birdwells. However, I recently read that the latest mens fashion trend in shorts/swimwear is a shorter and trimmer cut, going back to a more classic style. We're not talking 1980s Magnum P.I. short, but something mid-thigh to just above the knee and more tailored in appearance. The overly long, excessively baggy, cargo pockets everywhere look is finally on its way out. What was old is now new again, and Birdwells fit the trend perfectly. Birdwell Beach Britches haven't changed much since they began selling in the early 1960s, although the company now offers a few longer and baggier styles. I prefer the 303 style, the classic longboarder surf short, that ends just above the knee. I would stay away from the longer styles unless you want the teen look, and unless you have a large build then you might also steer clear of the baggier styles. The 323s, although trim cut like the originals, will come down past the knee. Be sure to pay close attention to their fit details (http://www.bbbritches.us/find-your-size/) - most people go up two full sizes for a proper fit.

According to Birdwell Beach Britches:
Style 301 was, and still is, our most popular BRITCHES. Over the years the customers wanted it shorter and we made a #305. They wanted it longer; and we have a style #303. The men grew older, got too big for their BRITCHES and wanted them bigger. I made some new patterns: 361, 365, 363, which look like the 301, 305, 303, and have a body for the adult instead the teenager who first got acquainted with us. The new teenagers want great big pants and we have styles 371, 375, 373, for them to be fashionable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy