Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

BK Durable "The Wild One" One Star Double Rider

I will say this, for as much mileage as Schott gets out of claiming that Brando was wearing one of their jackets, you'd think they would come out with one that was closer to the one in the movie.

Yeah, for sure. Even when they try to make it look more like the movie jacket, they fail. The 618 cut is already similar, all they need to do is work on the details but it's as if they're deliberately trying to not make it screen accurate.

Also, we keep forgetting Vanson did a pretty cool version, too.

brando-jpg.51487

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
They know it'll sell. Quality, material, etc. doesn't matter at all at this point. Thing is, and I'm merely speculating here but the way I see it, most people consider standard BK's pricing to fall in the insane category, especially when it comes to a straightforward Perfecto as with just a tiny bit of searching, you can score a really great jacket for very little money, so people who are reluctant to pay $800 or whatever, definitely won't buy this jacket.

But there are guys who want it & can afford it and BK knows this. They're willing to pay whatever the cost to get exactly what they want, which in this case would be a very accurate reproduction of The Wild One jacket. It is, after all, the most significant leather jacket in the world (even more so than the A2). And I get that though at this point in life, I would NEVER pay that kinda money for it as I know it won't do nothing more that my ol' Excelled wont. But that's me.

Anyway, that's what BK's going for. They know that everyone who can afford this jacket will pay for it, regardless of the price. I'm willing to bet that any other price tag would have marginal effect on the number of sales they've had on this jacket so far, as I don't believe that the three grand price-tag have alienated a single potential buyer.
People might complain a bit more but ultimately, having no alternative, if you want this jacket, you're going to dish out the amount of money BK's asking for it.

What I've been saying before, paying anything past $500 mark for a leather jacket is insane but that's what were here for. Like you yourself said, it's got nothing to do with any measurable attribute of the product anymore.

What i meant is i would not buy a 2000 dollar jacket from a company that makes 700 dollar jackets and is unable to show why the 2000 dollar jacket is worth more.
I would buy a 2000 dollar jacket from a company that sells a bunch of other 2000 dollar jackets if i know i am getting something that in my mind is worth the money.

If i was a fan of that movie and i had 2000 dollars to spend on a repro, why would i buy the BK over the Toys mcCoys?
The only thing i can think of is the ability to get custom measurements, but i don't think it is worth a the asking price.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
sorry it is not my intention to shit on the movie nor the jacket, the jacket is cool enough , I like other MB movies I watched, just this particular movie I sat through this morning was underwhelming to me both visually and story wise personally just to me. I like Badlands and type2 jacket worn there by martin sheen was cool, peter fonda's america jacket was also cool together with the movie.. I watched this movie with that same expectation... and throughout the movie I can't even understand the obsession he has with that trinket trophy... and how not wild he is... I don't believe he even carry a brass knuckle let alone knife or gun, he just ran around town being chased by a mob of townies old people and fatsos carrying sticks until he got to his bike and then he cried.

marker2037

Practically Family
What i meant is i would not buy a 2000 dollar jacket from a company that makes 700 dollar jackets and is unable to show why the 2000 dollar jacket is worth more.
I would buy a 2000 dollar jacket from a company that sells a bunch of other 2000 dollar jackets if i know i am getting something that in my mind is worth the money.

If i was a fan of that movie and i had 2000 dollars to spend on a repro, why would i buy the BK over the Toys mcCoys?
The only thing i can think of is the ability to get custom measurements, but i don't think it is worth a the asking price.
I agree about that price increase, but I would say that I would certainly rather have the ability to get custom measurements vs a stock Japanese size made for Japanese bodies if the asking prices are near/the same.

Edward

Bartender
I will say this, for as much mileage as Schott gets out of claiming that Brando was wearing one of their jackets, you'd think they would come out with one that was closer to the one in the movie.

Funny, innit? You'd think it would be a no-brainer for them.

Yeah, for sure. Even when they try to make it look more like the movie jacket, they fail. The 618 cut is already similar, all they need to do is work on the details but it's as if they're deliberately trying to not make it screen accurate.

Also, we keep forgetting Vanson did a pretty cool version, too.

brando-jpg.51487

May depend which 618 cut you have... mine is some time post 1980s, and so it's the same very boxy fit as the 118, save for a different size label. The Aero take on the Perfecto type is the right fit as Brand wore it, with the really tight waist and much more room in the chest. I think Vanson did it well too based on the photos I've seen. They certainly nailed the most obvious detail, that looooong zip on the arm.

sorry it is not my intention to shit on the movie nor the jacket, the jacket is cool enough , I like other MB movies I watched, just this particular movie I sat through this morning was underwhelming to me both visually and story wise personally just to me. I like Badlands and type2 jacket worn there by martin sheen was cool, peter fonda's america jacket was also cool together with the movie.. I watched this movie with that same expectation... and throughout the movie I can't even understand the obsession he has with that trinket trophy... and how not wild he is... I don't believe he even carry a brass knuckle let alone knife or gun, he just ran around town being chased by a mob of townies old people and fatsos carrying sticks until he got to his bike and then he cried.

Sort of the point, though: he's just a guy having fun, they were a motorcycle club that were shunned by society, not the other way around. The real troublemakers were the townies who, in their fear of "different", ultimately cause the accident that has a fatal result for an innocent bystander. The trophy is kind of a joke: it's from the scene early on where the Races (read: AMA) official gives them short shrift, and one of the other BRMC members pinches it and gives it to Johnny - the subtext: we're just as good as them, we deserve a trophy even if they don't want us in their poxy races. The film, in its tameness, is actually a lot closer to what really happened in Hollister.

Easy Rider was the one I could never warm to - it's just a bunch of tedious hippies disappearing up their own backsides on acid in a graveyard to me. Jack Nicholson was good in it, though. Interesting role. For a road movie of that period, I much preferred Vanishing Point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
demonlemon