Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Sheep Hat Works

Loz Dawes

Familiar Face
I can't believe people are put off by having to wait a few months, for a bespoke hat from one of the most innovative hatters of today... in my mind, it's a small price to pay for a masterpiece.... after all, you can't rush perfection..but that's just me.

I can't believe people are put off by having to wait a few months, for a bespoke hat from one of the most innovative hatters of today... in my mind, it's a small price to pay for a masterpiece.... after all, you can't rush perfection..but that's just me.
Legitimate questions to be asked of any artesian shop I think:

*Do customers wanting services such as ribbon or renovation work get in the queue & wait the same as the customer ordering a bespoke hat? In a one-man shop there is no apprentice to do such work.

*Does the shop take in ribbon & renovation work on just hats of the shops own making or do they accept any hat including factory hats for such work?

*Does the shop only accept ribbon & renovation work from previous bespoke customers of the shop or does it accept such work that may be sent or brought in by anyone?

This is frequently a problem with custom bootmakers & they all seem to handle it differently. It seems to me each shop must decide what they want their shop to be. Renovation & repair work is usually in & out quickly & certainly helps cash flow a business. I can't see someone waiting in the queue for any length of time for renovation & repair work. Yet taking in renovation & repair work ahead of customers waiting for a bespoke product only serves to artificially extend the length of time in the queue.

RJR

Legitimate questions to be asked of any artesian shop I think:

*Do customers wanting services such as ribbon or renovation work get in the queue & wait the same as the customer ordering a bespoke hat? In a one-man shop there is no apprentice to do such work.

*Does the shop take in ribbon & renovation work on just hats of the shops own making or do they accept any hat including factory hats for such work?

*Does the shop only accept ribbon & renovation work from previous bespoke customers of the shop or does it accept such work that may be sent or brought in by anyone?

This is frequently a problem with custom bootmakers & they all seem to handle it differently. It seems to me each shop must decide what they want their shop to be. Renovation & repair work is usually in & out quickly & certainly helps cash flow a business. I can't see someone waiting in the queue for any length of time for renovation & repair work. Yet taking in renovation & repair work ahead of customers waiting for a bespoke product only serves to artificially extend the length of time in the queue.
Good suggestion,imo.

I waited under two months for a masterpiece from Art and with the all the talented artisan hatters (here in the Lounge and elsewhere) it is a wealth of choice that brings the 9 month wait into consideration. At my age by placing an order I am rolling the dice as I might not be here in 9.
But the curmudgeon in me is going to put down my deposit, roll the dice, endure the wait and discern with my critical eye if his work is indeed worth the wait. I ask; can it get any better than Art's or Mikes (x2), or Esther's or Tim's? Well I guess I will find out.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I waited under two months for a masterpiece from Art and with the all the talented artisan hatters (here in the Lounge and elsewhere) it is a wealth of choice that brings the 9 month wait into consideration. At my age by placing an order I am rolling the dice as I might not be here in 9.
But the curmudgeon in me is going to put down my deposit, roll the dice, endure the wait and discern with my critical eye if his work is indeed worth the wait. I ask; can it get any better than Art's or Mikes (x2), or Esther's or Tim's? Well I guess I will find out.
it's definitely arguable that Bob is the absolute best in the entire business

the man is in a league all his own without a doubt

so many amazing hatters here ... but I've never seen anything like Bobs work

and I don't even own one .. but the two I have handled have pretty much blown my mind

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
The subject of waiting months for a true custom hat has me thinking about custom work I've had done on firearms. A few months wait, or even 8 to 9 months or into a year doesn't bother me much. I had some work done on 2 revolvers; twins, if you will, for me and my daughter. A little Single Six Ruger for her in 32 H&R mag, and a Ruger Montado for me in 45 Colt. I waited about a year for that work to be completed... Alan Harton's wait list is currently closed, last I heard, and the wait is approaching 2 years. Look at Hamilton Bowen, arguably one of the best - if not THE best - revolver smith in the world. A true custom from Hamilton will set you back several thousand $$$$ and your wait can be over 3 years; the same goes for John Linebaugh, his son Dustin Linebaugh (4 year wait, currently), David Clements, and on and on.

So, really, 8 - 9 months for a beautiful custom hat is not so bad, relatively speaking, and if you keep busy with other projects, other searches for vintage hats and the like, it goes by faster than you'd think.

I truly get the point made by belfastboy. As I get older, I think about mortality as well. If I were to die before my hat was finished I guess my wife could cancel the order without too much bother... or if it's nearly done, then the hat can be finished with an appropriate notation under the sweat and passed on to a relative or good friend.

Bob is working on a refurb for me of a 50's Royal Stetson. I saw his Before and After pictures on facebook of another Royal Stetson and thought, "I'd better just send it to Bob, then." I mean, really, look at the quality of the work.

Bob is an artist, as many hatters are that we speak of here. I'd like to get a hat from every last one of them. That may not be possible in short order, but I have 4 hats from the wonderful hatters in the great Pacific NW and I'd like to add a BSHW custom into my stable as well. Who knows, maybe 2017 is my year for a Black Sheep custom!

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
The subject of waiting months for a true custom hat has me thinking about custom work I've had done on firearms. A few months wait, or even 8 to 9 months or into a year doesn't bother me much. I had some work done on 2 revolvers; twins, if you will, for me and my daughter. A little Single Six Ruger for her in 32 H&R mag, and a Ruger Montado for me in 45 Colt. I waited about a year for that work to be completed... Alan Harton's wait list is currently closed, last I heard, and the wait is approaching 2 years. Look at Hamilton Bowen, arguably one of the best - if not THE best - revolver smith in the world. A true custom from Hamilton will set you back several thousand $$$$ and your wait can be over 3 years; the same goes for John Linebaugh, his son Dustin Linebaugh (4 year wait, currently), David Clements, and on and on.

So, really, 8 - 9 months for a beautiful custom hat is not so bad, relatively speaking, and if you keep busy with other projects, other searches for vintage hats and the like, it goes by faster than you'd think.

I truly get the point made by belfastboy. As I get older, I think about mortality as well. If I were to die before my hat was finished I guess my wife could cancel the order without too much bother... or if it's nearly done, then the hat can be finished with an appropriate notation under the sweat and passed on to a relative or good friend.

Bob is working on a refurb for me of a 50's Royal Stetson. I saw his Before and After pictures on facebook of another Royal Stetson and thought, "I'd better just send it to Bob, then." I mean, really, look at the quality of the work.

Bob is an artist, as many hatters are that we speak of here. I'd like to get a hat from every last one of them. That may not be possible in short order, but I have 4 hats from the wonderful hatters in the great Pacific NW and I'd like to add a BSHW custom into my stable as well. Who knows, maybe 2017 is my year for a Black Sheep custom!
Well stated on all points.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I had my fitting with Bob today at his place. Let me start by saying that Bob is a standup guy. He loves talking hats, we spent 90 minutes talking about hats and his knowledge is immense. He gave me quite the education on felts, brought out some vintage hats, one with a Cavanaugh edge, vintage long hair, and a modern mink. I also got to see his pinnacle edge and other brim treatments.

Wow, the vintage hats were amazing. I hadn't touched so thin felt and the pounce on them were amazing. The mercury hats were so very soft.

Bob's finishes are also pretty amazing. Maybe even the best that I have come across from custom hatters. Hard to tell unless I had them all side by side.

If you are on the fence because of price, you can make payments in advance till you have reached the cost of a hat. Or if you are on the fence due to the 9 month wait, I would recommend not waiting any longer. If when your hat arrives and you are amazed at the feel of the hat then isn't the wait worth it?

I still have several months of waiting, I just happened to be kind of close that I went for an in person fitting.

Here is a picture of Bob and the mess of hats that we brought out on to the table. There are many more not pictured that we looked at.

PSX_1.jpg

@navarre thank you for the hospitality. I learned a lot from you in the hour and a half. Looking forward to my new lid.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
I had my fitting with Bob today at his place. Let me start by saying that Bob is a standup guy. He loves talking hats, we spent 90 minutes talking about hats and his knowledge is immense. He gave me quite the education on felts, brought out some vintage hats, one with a Cavanaugh edge, vintage long hair, and a modern mink. I also got to see his pinnacle edge and other brim treatments.

Wow, the vintage hats were amazing. I hadn't touched so thin felt and the pounce on them were amazing. The mercury hats were so very soft.

Bob's finishes are also pretty amazing. Maybe even the best that I have come across from custom hatters. Hard to tell unless I had them all side by side.

If you are on the fence because of price, you can make payments in advance till you have reached the cost of a hat. Or if you are on the fence due to the 9 month wait, I would recommend not waiting any longer. If when your hat arrives and you are amazed at the feel of the hat then isn't the wait worth it?

I still have several months of waiting, I just happened to be kind of close that I went for an in person fitting.

Here is a picture of Bob and the mess of hats that we brought out on to the table. There are many more not pictured that we looked at.

View attachment 63082

@navarre thank you for the hospitality. I learned a lot from you in the hour and a half. Looking forward to my new lid.
Wonderful narrative and photo. I'm guessing my wait is down to under 7 months now. Still deciding what to have him do; too bad won't have the option of meeting him in person, as you did, to hash out the design and details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner