Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blizzard hats?

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Welcome to the Lounge! I'm about 10 miles away, but we only got about 14 inches here.

I just came back in from shoveling/sledding with my son. I was wearing my Dobbs Golden Coach fedora which is my "weekend" hat. Hat was quite wet from snow and some sweat. I just put it on the stretcher to keep it from shrinking and I will let it dry. That's all it really needs.

As long as it's a decent quality fur felt, not wool, then rain or snow won't bother it at all.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
I have an Akubra Stockman that I only wear when I am out in the snow or rain, It's always good to have at least one hat that you don't worry about.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Unless I can find a way to cover up my ears (i.e., a hat band of some sort), I wear stocking caps outdoors in really cold, nasty weather. If I can wear a hat band and a fedora, that is what I prefer.

I am in Iowa, we got only snow flurries but there is a storm coming at us from the west due here Wednesday.

karol

Bebop

Practically Family
I wear my Adventurebilt and my Akubra Fed. No harm has come to either of them. I also had to walk in the snow for a few miles while wearing a Stetson Dune and it did just fine. My ears were a little cold but the hat was fine. If I am going to be standing around in the snow for a long period of time, I wear something that keeps my ears warm.

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
looking in my closet i rediscovered a 50ish year old Steson cowboy hat made by Rand Hatters in (i think) montana that I bought about 10 years ago. It served me very well in downpours & probably would do just as well in snow, but you guys are right about the ears.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
I was just outside today for an hour in 30-degree weather and yestersay for two hours in 20-degree weather. I had on a Dobbs fedora with a 3-inch brim. Nothing covering my ears, but my ears didn't get the least bit cold either day. They never seem to get cold when I'm wearing a fedora.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I generally wear a western hat in snow, just for the extra shelter. Never had any problem with it. I believe hats are to wear, and the main reason to wear them is to keep the sun, rain and snow off my noggin (and my glasses. I hate getting spots on my glasses).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran