Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bogart Borsalino?

tommyK

One Too Many
I think not.

DSCN3529.jpg

DSCN4985.jpg

Last edited:

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Thanks, but Borsalino had two-tone circular imprints in their liners as well, so as I can't make out the printing in the hat, it doesn't quite strike me as a definitive answer.
None the less, I wouldn't be disappointed to find out that Bogart was wearing American rather than fascist at the time, particularly considering this film's subject.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Yes, you're correct.
However, I've watched the film, and that most certainly is the hat that Bogart wears before and after this particular screenshot.

Incidentally, "the dude on right" holding the hat is Edward Brophy, a memorable "Hollywood golden era" character actor who mostly played comical thug roles.

tommyK

One Too Many
Brophy was great! He's one of those character actors who's in everything like Frank McHugh and Edward Everett Horton.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
"All Through the Night" is worth watching.
Runyonesque characters, led by Bogie, battle German nazi "fifth-columnists" in New York city, in often comical fashion.
Fabulous cast (actually fairly standard for Warner Brothers in those days) with William Demarest as Bogie's main man, Wallace Ford as his attorney, and Frank McHugh, and future comic stars in early roles, Jackie Gleason and Phil Silvers. Also with academy award winner Jane Darwell as tough guy Bogie's mother who he dotes on.
Barton MacLane and Edward Brophy as competing NYC shady types, and an absolutely non-pareil trio of nazi villains in Conrad Veidt, Judith Anderson, and Peter Lorre, as well as a host of other familiar character faces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy