Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borrowing a Jacket

alfyman

One of the Regulars
Has anybody ever Borrowed a Jacket that you really liked from a friend ? If so what was the outcome.. ? Just Curious as many friends always borrowed mine and ended up trying to keep them..

devilish

A-List Customer
People always want to steal my jackets. They get a little offended when I reply "Umm, no. Sorry" Hahaha! When I lived in SF I had stylish friends who's jacket collections were very nice but none of us were the same size.
I did give my Rising Sun Duck Ranch Hand jacket to a very special lady friend though and very smart she looks in it too.

If they really want it and if it fits them better, I always lend/give jackets away to my friends. I never borrow a jacket, though. Not 'cause I happen to have the best jackets of anyone I know IRL, which I do, but because jacket is the sorta thing I really want to own.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Both of my brothers wear a leather jacket of mine. I usually pass them to them as "borrowed for unlimited time" to make clear they can wear it as long as they want but are to not to dispose of/sell it.

If one of my closer friends shows interest in my leathers and I find something in his size that doesn't fit me as well or I don't wear due to alternatives I prefer, I occasionally give it to them. Feels good.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
None of my friends have ever asked to borrow one of my jackets. For one thing, I think the weight of a heavy leather jacket scares most of them off. I have given a few jackets away over the last couple years and that felt good.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I've done it, in fact have a HD perfecto style jacket on loan right now. However as Tony indicates, many/most folks around my area have little to no interest in leathers, and even motorcycle riders seem to shy away from them here too. Now - boots on the other hand are another story!

Last edited:
It's kinda funny. With all of my (our) excitement over nice gear (jackets, boots, etc.) I don't meet that many guys outside that are the same, but when I do, it's usually started by someone making a comment on some boots, jeans, etc. The number of people is very small, and I sometimes forget that being in forums regularly...

Stand By

One Too Many
I once got a great denim jacket on a trip to Montreal - it was in a great dusty olive colour and it had a subtle designed look to it that it had once had had a couple of military patches (nothing ornate; one rectangular, one round) , one on each sleeve, and they'd been removed and the dark denim was exposed. It looked really great and it just jumped off the hangar shouting "Buy me, buy me!", and I didn't hesitate. It was the only denim jacket I've ever really liked - and felt that looked good on me in return.
Then one day I met what was to become my girlfriend and I ended up giving it to her as she liked it too - but I later discovered that she hardly wore it!!
So I had to move in with her to get it back and now it's back in my closet.
And yes, I'm still with her and I love that jacket in summer. I felt bad for taking back the jacket and I bought my girlfriend an ELC C-3 and ELC B-15 instead - and they've barely been worn either. <sigh>.
Moral: Where jackets are concerned, don't give your $hit away and spend your money on yourself. Somebody else likely won't appreciate them like we all do. Sad but true.

I once got a great denim jacket on a trip to Montreal - it was in a great dusty olive colour and it had a subtle designed look to it that it had once had had a couple of military patches (nothing ornate; one rectangular, one round) , one on each sleeve, and they'd been removed and the dark denim was exposed. It looked really great and it just jumped off the hangar shouting "Buy me, buy me!", and I didn't hesitate. It was the only denim jacket I've ever really liked - and felt that looked good on me in return.
Then one day I met what was to become my girlfriend and I ended up giving it to her as she liked it too - but I later discovered that she hardly wore it!!
So I had to move in with her to get it back and now it's back in my closet.
And yes, I'm still with her and I love that jacket in summer. I felt bad for taking back the jacket and I bought my girlfriend an ELC C-3 and ELC B-15 instead - and they've barely been worn either. <sigh>.
Moral: Where jackets are concerned, don't give your $hit away and spend your money on yourself. Somebody else likely won't appreciate them like we all do. Sad but true.

Same thing happened to me.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Funny how members are reporting that leather jacket's aren't coveted that much anymore. In the 80s and 90s it was a much different story and he/she who had a nice leather jacket was envied.

I have a female friend who says that used clothing is "dead people's clothes" and refuses to wear anything used. It's a real phobia for her. Me being an unsympathetic sort of person, I made her touch the sleeve of one of my sports jackets which I bought used in a thrift store.

Last edited:
^ I had a girlfriend who was like that, flat out refused to wear - or touch - anything second hand. I think that's why she dumped me actually, 'cause I was buying most of my stuff at the thrift stores and still do. And she probably thought she was way out of my league (and she was but then again, I've yet to meet a girl that isn't). Last I heard, she is wearing increasingly expensive clothing and having real trouble paying for it all. The fashion industry is really a gigantic scumbag...

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^ I had a girlfriend who was like that, flat out refused to wear - or touch - anything second hand. I think that's why she dumped me actually, 'cause I was buying most of my stuff at the thrift stores and still do. And she probably thought she was way out of my league (and she was but then again, I've yet to meet a girl that isn't). Last I heard, she is wearing increasingly expensive clothing and having real trouble paying for it all. The fashion industry is really a gigantic scumbag...

Boy do I hear this!! Over 50% of the clothes I buy are from Consignment, thrift or resale shops, and frankly I like it that way! It's a good "filter" as well, if a lady dosen't like how I buy clothes, well that's a sign that we are not going to get along. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy