Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Marco Traveler VS Acubra International Black

Drdan

Familiar Face
Greetings,

I'm new to this forum, but I've been lurking for quite some time; gleaning as much information as I can. I was ready to purchase a Borsalino Traveler (Marco model) in Rome, where I live, but decided to do a bit of research before I did.

I need a good "commuting" hat that is good looking and elegant, but at the same time is able to be somewhat casual. They call the fashion concept "sportivo elegante" in Italian. Both of the considerations are that, especially is I placed a leather band on the Akubra. They are pretty similar in appearance also...

I've favoring the Akubra since it's said to hold up very well in the rain. I like the look of the Borsalino very much, and it certainly feels like a quality hat. I tried one on last fall at the Borsalino shop in Piazza del Popolo, and liked it very much. It was lightweight, had a nice feel to it, and looked great.

The Akubra goes for 101 Euro plus about 33 Euro for Express Delivery, which is a bit more than half the price of the Borsalino. I'd appreciate it very much if you'd chime in, and help me make an educated decision. Durability is probably my biggest concern, and ease of maintaining a nice shape is a close second. I have several very nice Montecristi straw fedoras, but no good quality felt hats, so your input would be invaluable, particularly so if any of you have both of the felt hats mentioned.

Thanks so much for your help!

Daniel

http://www.australiangear.com/akubra-international-made-to-order.html

Last edited:
Reactions: DRB

tommyK

One Too Many
Drdan, You won't find a lot of love for modern Borsalino's here on the Lounge. Their felt quality is not consistant so it's good to buy in person and judge for yourself. I have several modern Borso's and like them and have had no problem with durability or rain. That being said, the Akubra's are made for punishment and are a great value as well.

My advice, get a couple of each. When in doubt, go with the Akubra. You won't regret it.

Last edited:

Drdan

Familiar Face
Thanks tommyK. The Borsalino hats look amazing in the store, and I would probably baby it if I purchased one., leaving it at home when it rained. Lol I just saw a Borsalino Traveler offered on e-Bay, and the owner advertises it as "hardly worn". Looks shabby, and it was decidedly not well cared for. Getting both would be good sense.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borsalino-N...790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43de70e276

ingineer

One Too Many
" Getting both would be good sense"
A new convert, yes perhaps the Marco in one colour like navy, the Akubra in black.
My opinion --Marco=La bella figura
Akubra= Durable
Welcome to the lounge

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele you can find a lot of Borsalino of your size used in really good conditions in Italy. The prices are cheaper and shipping costs are affordable. Take a look to sites dedicated to trades between private. If in doubt send me a PM.
Saluti da Verona

Inviato dal mio GT-S7500 con Tapatalk 2

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Daniele you can find a lot of Borsalino of your size used in really good conditions in Italy. The prices are cheaper and shipping costs are affordable. Take a look to sites dedicated to trades between private. If in doubt send me a PM.
Saluti da Verona

Mr Tanto. Where have you been? I dont recall seeing you here recently. :(

Drdan

Familiar Face
" Getting both would be good sense"
A new convert, yes perhaps the Marco in one colour like navy, the Akubra in black.
My opinion --Marco=La bella figura
Akubra= Durable
Welcome to the lounge

Being that you feel that the Borsalino would be "la bella figura", I'll probably get both. Actually I prefer the blue felt!

Drdan

Familiar Face
Saluti da Verona

Grazie tante Daniele! If I could find a vintage Borsalino similar to the style of the Akubra International Black, that would be fantastic. I've read that the quality of the pre 1980 Borsalinos are far superior. I'd be prepared to bring the vintage Borsalino to the shop and have it completely restored. Great idea! Io Lei mando un messaggio fra poco...

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Bob, I'm visiting East German. In a couple of days I will be back home in the italian fournace, sigh!
Daniele, Borsalino made a huge variety of models during the years and some are really interesting. I think Borsalino is L'eleganza if your choice is direct in that direction..........
I will wait for the PM

tommyK

One Too Many
Drdan, I'm with Daniele on getting a vintage Borsalino if you are at all interested in going that way. The quality of the felt, form and the attention to detail is simply the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy