Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino sweatbands...

The Wingnut

One Too Many
...this has probably been talked about many times, and I've done a considerable amount of searching before posting. I didn't come up with much that really answered my question.

I've got a Bosalino(which appears to be late '30s, but I'll leave the dating to the experts when it arrives) on the way, and the sweatband is in good shape, but the stitching is showing signs of giving way. It's got the trademark vented band.

Someone recently posted pictures of a sewing machine they managed to find that is capable of top stitching(correct me if that's the wrong stitching style). Is this machine working? Who bought it, and can it be used to fix a Borsalino sweatband?

I doubt that having never replaced a sweatband before, I'd be capable of fixing this one. I'd want to retain the original band, but I've repeatedly heard that's a very difficult proposition.

The hat is wearable, but the sweatband stitching may not survive prolonged use.

...pictures when I get it. I'm paying about the going rate for it. It was one of those 'get it because it's your size and it's on the shelf NOW and it won't be when you come back' things.

duggap

Banned
Unless you have some expertise, for my money if I had a vintage Borsalino I would probably send it out to someone like Optimo in Chicago. They are reasonable priced and would appreciate what they are working on. I feel like any vintage Borsalino is a rare find.

jpdesign

Vendor
I bought that machine. It is being mounted on a base and being cleaned at the moment. when I get it back I have to figure out how to operate it, and find needles for it.

Jimmy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran