Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino won! It has arived!!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I just won this one on e-bay!:D Hope it's worth the price tag. I thought for sure I was going to get hosed on this one and almost did by a hair.

f1_1_sbl.JPG

f5_1_sbl.JPG

fc_1_sbl.JPG

49_1_sbl.JPG

Whew!
I can't wait to see what I can shape it into. The possabilities are dizzying.

Cheers!

Dan

Visigoth

A-List Customer
That hat is *stunning*. Does it have the XXXXX marking, in a box on the sweatband? (Grand Luxes seem to, in general.)

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I think older than that . The Borsalino factory was almost destoyed during the war . They didn;t produce that much during the early 1940's . Your hat could be from the 1930's.

Steven

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad someone at the lounge got that one. I had been watching it too and was thinking of bidding, but with my latest win on those Playboys and getting a custom from Art, I was maxed out on hats. Please make sure you post some pics of it all cleaned up and shaped. Congrats, that hat is worth far more than you paid for it, a real collectable.

fedoralover

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Sound like I robbed these folks.:rolleyes: I got away with it for $75.50. Sorry, but I've been waiting for a pedigree like this one for some time now.:eek: I almost didn't get it at the last second. It was the $0.50 that won the day.
If the cleaning portion of it is beyond my skills Art will be seeing it in his shop fora cleaning and, I think, a nice Whippet shape.
The size they said is about a 7 1/4 ( if I read it right a European 7). As old as it seems to be I think there may have been some shrinkage over time, but I guess I'll find out once I get it in my mitts. It's coming out of Colorado, so who can say. Either way it sound like I scored a great deal.
I'll post pics once It lands on my door step.

Cheers!

Dan

Razzman

One Too Many
Fantastic find! However you decide to shape it, it's a winner! :eusa_clap
I guess patience does have it's merits.
Congrats again.:)
Don't forget to post pics wearing both the Open Road and the Borsalino.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks gang! I really appreciate all the feedback. I've see some really beautiful pieces that y'all have shared after either purchasing in an antique store or on e-bay and thought you were the lucky ones. Thanks again.
Since reading all the threads on Naptha I'm thinking it wouldn't be wise to dip this beauty in that stuff for a good cleaning. So, it looks like Art will be getting another project soon from me.
But first I'll have to see how dusty it really is, the photos don't exactly tell a complete story. In any case I'm happy to get this one and share the images once it shows up. It's going to be like Christmas in July.;)

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
In reading some of the hat cleaning threads you are most likely correct Sharptoys. A little steaming a sponge & brush may do the trick. I guess I'll see for sure onve I get it in my mitts though. Thanks again.:)

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Here's what I received...

The felt is far thinner than I than I anticipated. Very nive indeed. It had a bit of a gritty texture to it when I pulled it out of the box, but I set to right away. I used an old Stanley Steamer my Grandmother had to give it a steam cleaning and a brushing. JP was right about that. Oh, and for all those folks who have problems with Scouts hat cleaner for light colored hats, I got a tip from one of the hat folks at the Boot Barn. Don't ever use the one for light colored hats, use the one for dark colored hats and you won't have the residue or powder problem in cleaning it off. The stuff for dark hats just foams up and brushes right off without any discoloration, and any sweat stains come out.
So I set to with the cleaning and reshaping and I got this beauty! The color you see is quite accurate, a sort of pinkish milk chocolate color with a tan ribbon. It's so light you barely notice it is on your head. Wow!

IM000167.jpg

IM000172.jpg

IM000171.jpg

IM000173.jpg

IM000176.jpg

IM000179.jpg

IM000181.jpg

I still need to work on the brim a bit but all in all I think it came out well. And it came pretty clean, even the slight stains in the ribbon cleaned up well. Sorry Art, I guess it won't be coming your way after all.;)

Now I can't wait for the Open Road to show up. This one came from Colorado and got here sooner. Go figure!

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart