Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino's NOT to buy!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I posted earlier about these Borsalinos. You can see them at Brooks Brothers. They are crap. I think I have been blowing this whistle since before the Fedora Lounge began; Modern Borsalino hats are very cheesy and cheaply made. The felt is very low quality and turns to mush when rain hits. I don't know what type of Beaver they took their fur from, though I am pretty sure the creature is shaggy and malnurished and of a breed that shouldn't breed.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I know this has been discussed here before at length, but there are so many new people logging on here that when I see ones like these come up I feel that maybe a newbie could be taken in by the comparative low ebay price.

There are a couple others on ebay right now that are in the same boat, or should I say the same "cheap seats". The sellers are trying to rely on the name to hawk a now cheaply made hat. A few years ago I almost pitched for one of these and then I saw some in person and also the reports started coming in from other owners. I'm glad I didn't waste my money.

fedoralover

Johnnysan

One Too Many
OOPS...

Well, fellas...it's confession time. I was one of those newbies that got snagged on eBay and bought one of these Borsalenos. I'm certain it isn't the exact hat that is being listed now, but definitely a newer Borso.

I agree that the quality of the felt is not up to what I expected from the Borsaleno name...my late Italian grandfather wore many Borsos in his day and swore by them. I was hoping for the same experience. The hat I picked up was listed as a brand new "display" model and I got it for $80. I was looking around for a reasonably decent everyday hat for less than $125 and this one fit the bill.

After receiving it, it was obvious that it had not been properly cared for and was in need of some work. This is one of the hats I took to Levine's in St. Louis that was the subject of a previous post of mine. After they trimmed the brim down a bit, steamed and shaped it and replaced the sweatband (it was badly puckered), it looks great. The refurbish work ran about $45.

For the price I paid, I'm pleased, but I agree that the $159 starting bid for the one I just saw listed on eBay is too steep for what you'll get. Most of my hats are vintage that I have salvaged from local antique shops, so I have to admit that I like to pick up my hats on the cheap whenever possible. Sadly, I have found there aren't many new hats out there in the $100-200 price range that are of decent quality. The last one I found was a very nice Biltmore that I bought new about ten years ago for $125.

All said, if I could do it again for what I've got in it...I would. But if the cost were at or near the $150 mark, I'd keep shopping and probably would have looked at one of the Knox hats at Levine's. Cheers! :cheers1:

LadyPowers

Familiar Face
Modern Borsalinos are manufactured with Australian Wild Rabbit, Hare, and Rabbit. I held a modern Borsalino and had a good laugh. The quality of the felt was not very good, nor was it dense. I am biased since I own vintage Borsalino fedoras.

Regards,

Lady Powers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy