Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

flylot74

One of the Regulars
You look great sporting your new bow ties! As I have mentioned in previous posts, for those (or their wives) that have an interest, ties are very easy to make, so says my wife. She has made five quite wonderful bow ties for me, of which three out of the five are my favorites above all my "store bought" variety. Some fabulous material can be had VERY cheaply as you only need remnants.

Oh, and I have a 19.5 inch neck as well. So when buying a "store bought", you must ensure the correct length is available. This is no problem when you deal with a "home made", er....excuuuseeee me! A custom bespoke bow tie! :)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Wow, about six years of posts on bow ties. It took me a while, but I read through all the posts. I started wearing bow ties some twenty-five or thirty years ago, but not as a part of a commitment to a style, more of a "swimming against the current" statement, the current being t-shirts and jeans. And, yes, it took me forever to get the tying part down. The blood drained out of my arms, it took so long.

Now, I wear bow ties occasionally, mostly for fun, with only about ten to my name. Christmas time I wear several that are holiday-themed. There has never been a negative comment about the ties, always positive.

There used to be a small menswear shop at South Coast Plaza that had some "preppy" accessories and clothing; the manager showed me how to tie the tie and gave me printed instructions. Practice and perseverance paid off.

My sixteen year son learned from me how to tie a bowtie, but has succumbed to peer pressure and treats collared shirts like they're radioactive.

Big_e

Practically Family
Today was my brown tie from Bow Tie Club.
Ernest

Picture045.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hey Ernest, bowties go very well with newsboy caps in sporty outfits, don't they? :D

What would you say about your experience with The Bowtie Club? I have often perused their website. Not a bad selection, and reasonable prices.

Has anyone dealt with Beau Ties Ltd? They have more choice, but are generally more expensive.

Big_e

Practically Family
I love dealing with Bow Tie Club because of their great selections and I like diamond point end and standard straight edge bowties.
Their service is fast, I'd say within a week you'll get your ties.

I like wearing newsboy caps with bowties and will usually wear regular ties with my fedoras, though that is not a rigid rule for me.
Ernest

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
One thing I'v found is that matching a Bow tie to youre attire is quite different than matching a neck tie. I found that the neck tie is more rigid in how you match it, with the Bow you can pretty much do anything as long as you dont' do total opposite colors like Purple and Red.

Torpedo

One Too Many
One thing I'v found is that matching a Bow tie to youre attire is quite different than matching a neck tie. I found that the neck tie is more rigid in how you match it, with the Bow you can pretty much do anything as long as you dont' do total opposite colors like Purple and Red.

Mmmmh. I am not sure I buy that. I think it is pretty much the same. Agreed, the bowtie offers a far smaller surface, and perhaps this allows for some margin over a tie, but the usual harmony norms still rule. I don't feel like it is easier to choose a bowtie as opposed to a tie.

Big_e

Practically Family
Great tie there, Torpedo! The petterns give the tie a subtle look. I agree with the article in DanielJones post. Wear a plain shirt and jacket and let the tie stand out.
Ernest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80