Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowler

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Wore my new bowler to work today. I walk so there was a good mile of strutting. However, not one damn comment from my co-workers. A little underwhelming.

-Davis

Sorry for wasting your time.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Fear not...

You wear hats (I assume) because you like them, for whatever reason. Let the ignorant populace be damned!

Cheers,

RC

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Sorry I don't have a pic of me sporting it yet but here is a pic of the bowler.
nothing special like a christies of anything but it covers the head.
CIMG0001.jpg

redavis001 said:
Wore my new bowler to work today. I walk so there was a good mile of strutting. However, not one damn comment from my co-workers. A little underwhelming. -Davis Sorry for wasting your time.
Give them a few weeks to re-act, some are slow on the uptake and haven't figured out an appropriate quip yet.

Looks like a nice lid!

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Tony, (May I call you that?)

A tricorne or a bicorne would be sooo sweet. I already get stares because I wear a suit everyday without fail. I mean we work in a university for petes sake have some class...anyways I already raise eyebrows and I own a bicorne (it's in storage) so I might just wear it sometime.

I can always excuse it by mumbling "reconstructing social norms...creating awareness...deconstruction...various academic mumbo jumbo"

I wore my spectators once in two years and still get asked about them.

I do not normally go in for "novelty ties" but I was given one with a sculll and crossbones in black on a red tie that I wear for test days that raises eyebrows.

The moral? Is there such a thing?
1. Thanks for you comments.
2. I am trying to push it a bit at work as it is so perhapse this will help.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, everybody else calls me that. :) Welcome aboard!

I started wearing a suit to work when the weather got cold, and now I don't know what I'll do when it gets hot again. I may end up having a linen or cotton suit made for the 100+ degree days we get in the San Fernando Valley.

Maybe it's a West Coast thing, but I don't sense any resentment that I'm not following the "strictly casual" norm. Maybe since we're working in a TV studio so close to Hollywood there's more tolerance for a bit of theatricality.

In fact, one or two of my younger co-workers seem to be taking tentative steps toward following my lead.

One of the Regulars
Congratulations on your fine choice of lids. I wear a bowler from time to time and usually get positive comments from young people. One fellow of my own age asked me if I ever got funny looks. I said "Occasionally", but his comment was really the only negative one I've received. If people bother to mention it, they are supportive.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
One of the beauties of a bowler to me (I have one with an exceptionally stingy brim) is that they just "fit in" with whatever you're doing and whatever you're wearing. It's easy to see why they were once everyman's hat. When I wear my 1 3/8" tan bowler, folks my age look at me warily. "That's a nice hat," they say, thinking, don't go making us all look bad by looking too good now...

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
The one problem with a bolwer these days is you look like a juggler. Not that that is necesserily a bad thing. BUt they have taken on a kind of clownish show business costume connotation.

But you gotta love them.

What is the difference between a bowler and a derby anyway.

I kind of like a turn of the cnetury look with sleeve garters, a handlebar moustache etc.

but then you gotta love the upper class english look such as John Steed or the monty python guys parodying the upper class.

By the way, there is a couple of beautiful derbys in the local vintage shop. They are asking about $65 and the size is maybe 7 3/8 or 7 1/2.

One is maybe sixties judging from the sweat band, and the other is a beautiful older one with a wide smooth sweat band with ribbon cut into it around the back, and the print says something or other of picadilly circus.

Too much to pick up unless someone here specifically wanted it. But I would be glad to pick op one or both and ship if someone wanted them.

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Tony,

In the heat I usually switch to just a shirt and tie without the jacket. Leather shoes can get a bit toasty though. Where do you work? I started in the industry in production then switched to ad sales then to management then switched o writing garbage about it that no one will read. I am on the lookout now for a really really cheap seersucker. I need it cheap because I am not convinced that it is the suit for me, but still want to try.

Thanks for the complement. I was rewarded by a young ladies smile when she was staring at my hat and I tipped it to her. Touching the brim as I walk past ladies is an automatic reaction I am trying to cultivate. It seemed forced at first but now it is becoming more comfortable and automatic.

Reetpleat,

I am honoured that you that you notice and posted here. Thanks for the info on the bowler. I am now in search of a Christy’s on the cheap. I know it is a tall order but I have lots and lots of time. I was worried about being too costume like but that’s ok. If people affiliate me with the Addicts that’s ok too, although I don’t know how unless I am wearing a boiler suit.

Dumbjaw,

Thanks for the info.

Davis

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the complement. I was rewarded by a young ladies smile when she was staring at my hat and I tipped it to her. Touching the brim as I walk past ladies is an automatic reaction I am trying to cultivate. It seemed forced at first but now it is becoming more comfortable and automatic.

Reetpleat,

I am honoured that you that you notice and posted here. Thanks for the info on the bowler. I am now in search of a Christy’s on the cheap. I know it is a tall order but I have lots and lots of time. I was worried about being too costume like but that’s ok. If people affiliate me with the Addicts that’s ok too, although I don’t know how unless I am wearing a boiler suit.

What is a Christy's and what are the Addicts. Is that a band?

MattJH

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
What is a Christy's and what are the Addicts. Is that a band?

Christy's Of London -- Nice rundown there. I'm not an expert, but I do know that a lot of the higher-priced vintage bowlers you'll find out there were made by Christy's Of London.

The Adicts -- A band with dress inspired by A Clockwork Orange, including the bowlers.

redavis001

One of the Regulars
ReetPleat,

Sorry to confuse.

Dumbjaw,

Thanks for fielding those questions.

Harp,
It’s a strange and sad existence here in Oklahoma so you have to spice it up anyway you can. Actually I like the plains but there is some room for cultural play.

For example I would love to live in Boston or NY but there it might be too easy. Here you have to work at it a lot to find neat places and neat people and neat things to wear your bowler to/for.

So here I am and here I try to cause sartorial trouble…all in the name of signifying of course.

Tonyb,

1. I could not stop laughing I am laughing now…

2. I really, really want to hear that story.

3. Wonderful

Davis

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
redavis001 said:
ReetPleat,

Sorry to confuse.

Dumbjaw,

Thanks for fielding those questions.

Harp,
It’s a strange and sad existence here in Oklahoma so you have to spice it up anyway you can. Actually I like the plains but there is some room for cultural play.

On the plus side, I will be t you come across some great estate ales and garage sales with no competition for good stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart