Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Braces (suspenders)for a 1950s suit Hector Powe

Animal Jack

New in Town
Hi..........Animal Jack here checking in for the first time. Helllllllloooooooooooo!:fing28:
.....I found a really great Hector Powe suit recently which is dated 1950 in the inner pocket......but I think it it is cut more like a 40s......it has three 'hooks' on the trouser waist -rather than3 pairs of buttons ....to take a particular type of Braces? ............I was hoping someone could describe this kind of brace/suspender to me so I can start looking out for a pair .............I would also be grateful for any advice on what kind of shirt would go with this kind of suite (3 piece-single breasted . Trousers - no turn-ups ) were the collars still seperate then -or attached ? Cheers.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Animal Jack said:
Hi..........Animal Jack here checking in for the first time. Helllllllloooooooooooo!:fing28:
.....I found a really great Hector Powe suit recently which is dated 1950 in the inner pocket......but I think it it is cut more like a 40s......it has three 'hooks' on the trouser waist -rather than3 pairs of buttons ....to take a particular type of Braces? ............I was hoping someone could describe this kind of brace/suspender to me so I can start looking out for a pair .............I would also be grateful for any advice on what kind of shirt would go with this kind of suite (3 piece-single breasted . Trousers - no turn-ups ) were the collars still seperate then -or attached ? Cheers.

Can't really picture the hooks you are talking about, always seen the buttons. A photo would help identify it. Collars were attached by then, I'd say try a normal pointed collar- and the coloring would depend on the suit fabric and your complexion (etc). Again, some pictures would help.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Animal Jack said:

If you're looking for detachable collars, please let me know. I'm trying to find a home for ten that I came into.

Hal

Practically Family
Animal Jack said:
...I found a really great Hector Powe suit recently which is dated 1950 in the inner pocket......but I think it it is cut more like a 40s......it has three 'hooks' on the trouser waist -rather than3 pairs of buttons ....to take a particular type of Braces? ............I was hoping someone could describe this kind of brace/suspender to me so I can start looking out for a pair .............I would also be grateful for any advice on what kind of shirt would go with this kind of suit (3 piece-single breasted . Trousers - no turn-ups ) were the collars still separate then -or attached ? Cheers.
Firstly, welcome to these fora.
The no-turn-up trousers point to a very late 1950s, if not early 1960s, date; by this time, the wearing of braces in Britain had greatly declined, so I have no idea of the purpose/function of the hooks you describe. The date on the label in the jacket (a three-button fastening was standard on SB jackets throughout the 1950s) suggests to me that an owner had the trousers altered.

RobStC

A-List Customer
Animal Jack said:

Yep, the Hector Powe braces are based on small brass (?) hook type fittings that clip onto the rings sewn onto the trouser waistband. Very easy to attach or unfasten, and the rings on the waistband fold away inside when you're not using the braces. They are very smart and work well (if you are okay with a single strap at the back), and usually have adjusters on all three straps. All the ones I've got or seen are stamped 'POWES' on the adjuster clamps. The braces are usually fairly slim width and elasticated.

I'll try and get a couple of pictures posted later today to let you see them, but I'm sure you wouldn't have any difficulty recognising them if you came across some.

RobStC

Animal Jack

New in Town
Animal Jack.....

..........YES... these are the brass type loop/ hooks ...........Thanks for getting back ...............all the info has been helpful. Aj............if you do get chance to send a photo - that would be great. ...I will sort some photos out of the suit myself once we get our house back to normality ....we have been sanding all the floors .......................dust ...dust ...and more DUST !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff