Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Braces under a vest with a tux

I need help settling a bet with "She who must be obeyed". We have a school fundraiser this Saturady night. I'm wearing my tux. I have braces for my trousers and I have a vest (not one of those Mae West-lookin things the rental shops provide). My wife thinks you shouldn't wear the braces under the vest. I countered - "where else would you wear them?"

Help me out folks.

Thanks

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
GentlemanFarmer said:
My wife thinks you shouldn't wear the braces under the vest.

You'll look fine wearing braces (suspenders) under the waistcoat (vest). The braces won't bulge out or show. In fact, it wasn't until the 1960s that anyone wore tuxedo trousers with side tabs. Before then, the only options for support were braces or (gasp!) belts. (Yes, American tuxedo trousers in the 1920s and '30s usually had belt loops. Go figure.)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
:)
GentlemanFarmer said:
I need help settling a bet with "She who must be obeyed". We have a school fundraiser this Saturady night. I'm wearing my tux. I have braces for my trousers and I have a vest (not one of those Mae West-lookin things the rental shops provide). My wife thinks you shouldn't wear the braces under the vest. I countered - "where else would you wear them?"

Help me out folks.

Thanks

If you don't wear them, you may be sorry you didn't. Nothing at all wrong with wearing braces under a vest with a tux. I even wear them with a cummerbund, which some people say you shouldn't do. Nobody ever sees them, since I don't take off my jacket.

Rooster

Practically Family
I always wear braces under a vest. In fact, I never wear a belt for any reason....seems unnatural.
Never wear braces OVER the vest.

thaduke

New in Town
My braces have little clips that attach the part that hooks onto the buttons onto each brace. This allows one to detach the braces from the trousers (without having to mess with the buttoned bits)... the waistcoat or sweater-vest (my usual daily garb) will keep the braces in place while you go about your <ahem> business.

Don't most braces have these? I can't imagine why they wouldn't... my life would be made much more difficult without them, as I'd practically have to undress my top half completely to use the loo!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
GentlemanFarmer said:
I need help settling a bet with "She who must be obeyed".
Isn't it interesting that those who must be obeyed often don't know what they're talking about. [huh]

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Not in Yankland, they don't.

These sound rather like Thurston's "combination" braces (at least in concept.) They are designed to allow you to switch between loop ends (for buttons) or clips, as need requires (hence the "combination".) Tie Rack here in the UK used to offer the design, as do Austin Reed.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'd imagine one could easily approximate this by simply using the leather button 'loop' portion from one set of braces on some pants and clipping the common faux-paus modern clip-on braces to them.

I've got a set of '30s vintage clip-on white braces I never use, for a number of reasons(rust stains, white doesn't go with everything)...but their very existence proves that you don't have to have button-in braces.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GentlemanFarmer said:

Help me out folks.

Thanks

Tell her you'll wear the braces over the vest if she'll wear her bra over her blouse...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BegintheBeguine said:
My father, b.1924, said 'spenders should be worn under the vest. Wearing them over the vest would be like a gal wearing a brassiere over the blouse, which I'm sure is being done even as I type this but I don't want to know about it.

And someone already made the point I just made after reading post number one in the series... I suppose I should read all the way to the end of the thread before posting a comment...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL