"Brand New" 1950's Home!

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Gingerella72, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Gingerella72

Gingerella72 A-List Customer

I stumbled across this....it's a home for sale that was new construction in 1955, and has virtually never been lived in. If I was in the market for a new home and I lived there.....I'd be all over that!

http://www.2204stephen.com./

The 50's is a little outside my aesthetic taste (I prefer 30's and 40's) but still....a true vintage home frozen in time is just so cool. I'm drooling over those photos!

2. The Shirt

The Shirt Practically Family

It's worth it just for the kitchen and furnishings. So cute. I'm curious about the previous owner only living in the basement for 50+ years though. Maybe he never came up after the sirens...

3. Gingerella72

Haha....yes, it is reminiscent of that movie with Brendan Fraser, Blast From the Past.

4. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

I wonder what circa properties is. If I lived near St.Louis I might jump all over it. I have been looking for a home with a basement for weeks now. Like hens teeth where I am looking. Basements stay an even temperature year round is probably why they lived there.
    I have often wondered why there is no company that deals mainly with older homes.
    I cannot stand cookie cutter new homes.

:eek:fftopic: Sort of afraid to post this as my new name is "one too many?" :eusa_doh: Is that a hint? Wonder who did that?

5. Gingerella72

http://www.circastl.com/

There you go! I SO wish there was a realtor like this here in Nebraska!!!!!

6. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

It looks like my house when I was a kid before my mom decided she wanted a "country" update in the 80s (PUKE!)

I'm wondering why the owner only lived in the basement...???

7. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

safe and stable environment.

thank you Gingerella72. Me too.

8. The Shirt

The Shirt Practically Family

Gingerella - There are still some great homes to be had in Nebraska (well at least in Omaha that I'm aware of). My BFF bought not too long ago a pristene early 50s place decked out with an original record player that folded down from the wall in the kitchen.

I've been searching for a upper midwest realtor who deals in Mid Century modern places but have yet to stumble upon one.

9. Miss_Bella_Hell

Miss_Bella_Hell My Mail is Forwarded Here

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. Gingerella72

Oh yes, several nice old homes here. We live in an old home built in 1935, which has had few improvements done to it. Unfortunately the improvements that were done to it makes it look horrible. :rage:

11. Nathan Flowers

Nathan Flowers Head Bartender Staff Member

DO WANT.

12. reetpleat

reetpleat Call Me a Cab

Pretty cool story. But as a real estate agent, i can attest to seeing hundreds of homes that are as original, or close to it. granted, not in such good condition, but often close. It is pretty fun to see an untouched or barely touched house.

the only problem is that by the fifties, other than the kitchen and bathroom, these homes often do not have much that makes them distinct. the way windows are trimmed, lack of ceiling trim etc makes this house not too different from a 60s 70s or 80s. The kitchen, on the other hand, is great. i have seen some really fantastic mid century design. Being a real estate agent is fun.

13. Emer

Emer One of the Regulars

So cute, but a little too small for my tastes. I like small-er houses, but some of those bathrooms looked like coat closets. I don't like the idea of bending over the sink and shutting the door with my rump!

I did save a ton of the pictures though! I've told Hubbs that once we settle down I want to recreate a cute post-war home.

14. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

The Flooring

The quality of the oak flooring...wow!

15. MadelienneBlack

MadelienneBlack One of the Regulars

:eek:
    *falls over and dies*

WANT!

16. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

Here you'd have to cough up more than the entire price of that home just to make a 20% down payment.

I love that kitchen. Amazing.

17. carter

carter I'll Lock Up

Beautiful house, Binkie. Will you be the renter? Perhaps your 10,000+ chums from the FL could join you for brunch. :D
    [​IMG]

18. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

reetpleat, too bad you are not around me. I could use a good realtor. lol

19. Ms. McGraw

Ms. McGraw One of the Regulars

Ahhh! It so cute!!
    On the outside it looks an awful lot like the nice little neighborhood I grew up in! Most of the houses were/are owned by their original owners and have been very well maintained!
    I'd love for the fella and I to luck into a starter home like that!!