Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breaking in an Eastman Irvin

Philrs

New in Town
Dear Irvin nuts,

I have just received my Eastman Irvin today (1940 pattern, broken grain).

I am a bit surprised by its "crumpled dusty carton" appearance (almost like dried parchment). It is also very stiff.

Any advice on how to break it in? Should I treat the jacket with some maintenance product? (I remember Andrew mentioning his favourite one in one of the threads, but do not remember which one it was).

Any input welcome,

Phil.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Other people who have bought a broken grain RAF jacket have successfully applied a light coat of Pecards Antique Leather Dressing.

Philrs

New in Town
Philrs said:
Thank you both for the advice. Pecard ordered!

BTW, would have any advice on how to apply the Pecard on the jacket?

I read elsewhere that it might be worthwhile warming it up a bit. Should I apply it to all the horsehide as well? Any tips on how to avoid accidental application on the shearling?

Thanks again for any advice.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Pre-warming is a good idea. For easy, clean and lint-free application I can recommend a small quality sponge. (Get one of those flat ones for dishwashing). In order to avoid any contact with the shearling fleece make sure the jacket's closed and lying flat (on an old towel) with the collar turned up. Treating the horsehide trim and the stitching doesn't do any harm, in fact it might even water-proof the seams a bit. Don't forget the belt. Remember: Less is more. Give your jacket only a THIN coating of Pecards and let it completely soak in. This might take longer on the HH trim. Repeat until you are pleased with the result

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wear-wear-wear...

Just wear that baby at every opportunity, working in the garden, on the car, out and about with the dog. You cannot substitute good honest wear!! ;)

Philrs

New in Town
PADDY said:
Just wear that baby at every opportunity, working in the garden, on the car, out and about with the dog. You cannot substitute good honest wear!! ;)

Will do will do will do, but it really is a very dry looking finish, so I will also use Pecard. This cannot hurt.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
JanSolo said:
Pre-warming is a good idea. For easy, clean and lint-free application I can recommend a small quality sponge. (Get one of those flat ones for dishwashing). In order to avoid any contact with the shearling fleece make sure the jacket's closed and lying flat (on an old towel) with the collar turned up. Treating the horsehide trim and the stitching doesn't do any harm, in fact it might even water-proof the seams a bit. Don't forget the belt. Remember: Less is more. Give your jacket only a THIN coating of Pecards and let it completely soak in. This might take longer on the HH trim. Repeat until you are pleased with the result

Pre-warming? How do you do that?
And do you use it warm and totally liquid - or "semiliquid"/"buttersoft"

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm interested in seeing photos as well. My ELC 1940 Pattern is the "standard" finish and is 3 years old now and is nicely broken in. I haven't had to put a thing on it yet as the exterior is still wonderfully soft. But then it's not that broken grain finish which does seem to sound drier than the "original" finish.

Windsock

A-List Customer
I briefly owned one of ELC's broken grain Irvins last year. I was less than impressed by the carboard finish when it arrived and despite a dose of Pecards it dried back to it's normal state a couple of days later (which incidentaly happens to a lesser degree to vintage leather as well).

IMHO this leather is not at all representative of the look of an original (of the eight i've owned) and it's a real retrograde development of their product. I'd be happy to buy a 46 from 10 or so years ago however if anyone wants to move one. ;)

Philrs

New in Town
:eek:fftopic:
Windsock said:
I briefly owned one of ELC's broken grain Irvins last year. I was less than impressed by the carboard finish when it arrived and despite a dose of Pecards it dried back to it's normal state a couple of days later (which incidentaly happens to a lesser degree to vintage leather as well).

IMHO this leather is not at all representative of the look of an original (of the eight i've owned) and it's a real retrograde development of their product. I'd be happy to buy a 46 from 10 or so years ago however if anyone wants to move one. ;)

Hmmm, it is still early days for me but I can confirm that the Pecard really did addressed the dry finish of the broken grain jacket. It also darkened slightly its overall color--slightly richer chestnut brown.

Will have to see how it all pan out, and of course it is all a matter of taste. I prefer a finish that does not look too shiny so "elephant skin broken grain + Pecard" is good for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran