Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breaking in an Eastman Irvin

Windsock

A-List Customer
Philrs said:
:eek:fftopic:

Hmmm, it is still early days for me but I can confirm that the Pecard really did addressed the dry finish of the broken grain jacket. It also darkened slightly its overall color--slightly richer chestnut brown.

Will have to see how it all pan out, and of course it is all a matter of taste. I prefer a finish that does not look too shiny so "elephant skin broken grain + Pecard" is good for me.

I've used Pecards for years on mainly 65-70 yr old leather and am a fan of it but from my experience with the ELC leather the effect wasn't lasting. I suspect it's due to the way it's prematurely aged.

Good that you're happy with it.

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
I can confirm that mine still looks as it did a week after the Pecard treatment, which is now six months ago. It did get two very liberal applications, and took a whole week to dry completely, but the difference in the look and feel of the skin is astounding.

I remember something about people wanting to break in their leather jackets fairly quickly and there were a couple of techniques suggested.

One that seemed novel was to put the jacket in the dryer on Air Dry / No Heat and tumble with a few pairs of sneakers. They said take the jacket out and reset the way it was in the dryer several times, even turn it inside out if possible, then the tumbling with the sneakers would soften it up.

The only problem I can think of is if it creased where you did not want it to crease.

Carson

New in Town
Just got a great deal on an Eastman B6 50 Cal but am a bit surprised at the stiff surface. I guess I'll just work on it with pecards and see what I can do.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
This is a blast from the past, even good old Andrew (Windsock) was still around!

Carson, not sure whether yours is the same but there were a lot of mumblings about ELC's broken grain back in the day.

John Lever

One Too Many
Remember that the surface of an Irvin is not leather but an acrylic paint so will not receive treatment in the same way as an A2 would or a very old irvin with a crazed or porous surface. In the past I have had to wash treated jackets in petrol to get off white dried deposits leather conditioner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy