Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brilliant street photographer discovered

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
This make me think about how many really good things just desapeared in shelves, ou throw away by families, etc, after the death of the photographer (something very usual, specially with negatives... Or with photographs with no-family subjects).
I was thinking the same thing. I'll bet a lot of gems have fallen through the cracks. Even I have a couple thousand pix from my brief infatuation with becoming a photographer; there must be millions of others.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Isn't it interesting how everything looks vintage in old photographs except dogs....they just look like dogs. Timeless, they are.

636.jpg

AF

Last edited:

martinsantos

Practically Family
When we think that Kodak in 30s made more than half of its money from amateur's materials (film, photographic papers - they used to have almost 20 different types! With the constrast grades, this can be turned to a line of amost 100 papers - chemicals, acessories, darkroom equipment)... And it was one of the manufacturers. The biggest one, of course. But a few were "almost as big", as german Agfa.

A lot of people liked to take photos seriously, developing themselves and trying to take something more than the usual snapshot.

Here in Brazil the amount of amateurs were nothing compared with USA in those days. But enough to, in the little town where my grandparents lived, a 24h store of darkroom material! And I have a newspaper from 1954 with a big annoucement of photo enlarger. With so many "playing around" with photography, certainly a lot of really good things were produced.

PS: just adding "new details". In "Il Corriere Fotografico", number 12, 1939, writing about Kodak (then in its 50th anniversary), says they produced 190 differents types of film; 100 types of nitrate film; and 400 types of photographic paper.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner