Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British Army Cawnpore Sola Pith Helmet

Cobden

Practically Family
Very rare item indeed; the Indian pattern topee.These were sanctioned for all ranks official in the mid 1930's for all but ceremonial purposes in India(for which the Wolseley was retained until 1939), the Wolseley was considered to bulky and heavy, and the exposed retaining screw for the top ventilator was considered a danger. This one is in excellent condition with some slight damage to the pugarree, under where the cloth insignia once was (this area is also lighter in colour), but no sign of any decay of the sola pith. During WWII these were worn in India, in the very early stages of the Burma campaign (often with helmet netting!), and also seem to have seen limited action in North Africa, Iraq, etc. This one appears to be an officers Private purchase one with a seven fold pugaree (so probably British Army, as opposed to Indian). Label reads:

A. Razaq A. Quadir, Deolali

Size not marked, but by trying it on various people to see who it fits, it seems to be a 7 3/8; I'm a 6 7/8 and it swamps me - the largest I've ever seen, apart from this, is a 7. Last one on ebay (smaller size and in worst condition) went for over £250, but not being an ebay robber baron I'm only looking for offers around £175 inc postage.

More photo's available on request

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot