Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Budget Civvie Leather Jacket

Gibbs

New in Town
Popping in again to cast out a line for recommendations. I'm looking to add a non-A2/G1 leather jacket to the closet - a civilian design. I'm not much into black jackets or the whole Judas Priest buckles and studs deal, but other than that, I'm casting a pretty wide net. An athletic or "military" cut would be best. I'd been mulling the idea over ever since I caught an look at Eastman's Hartmann Jacket, which looks great, but having just paid for a wedding, I'm looking for something a little less expensive. When I ask for good, cheap jacket manufacturers elsewhere, people suggest Aero or Eastman. All fantastic jackets, but a tick under a grand is off my radar. Budget is, at most, $350. US Wings' Urban Adventurer jacket at $195 is the only thing I've found so far, and it'd be hogging my attention more if it came in brown goatskin. This is basically a shameless call for suggestions, as I'm sure the average poster here has a much better grasp on the market than I.

Edit - Perhaps I should've titled this "Where to Find French Cycling Jackets," as I just discovered the four-page thread on French motorcycle jackets of the '30s and '40s here on Fedora Lounge. All of them, great-looking. Still open to suggestions for anything non-military, but a suggestion on finding a new French motorcycle jacket would be like gold. I checked out Noble House, but the reviews are mixed. That "Luftwaffe style," as marketers seem to term it, is fantastic though.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Look for G&B Expedition (Indy) jacket on eBay or classified section. Be patient until you find your size.

Metatron

One Too Many

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Second the recommendations for Wested.
I'd avoid their lambskin which is just too fragile for me , unless you're after a mall-jacket feel ,
but their heavy cow-hide is nice and their mid-weight horsehide is solid if a bit lacking in character .
But their price for a customized jacket is amazing .

Edward

Bartender
I am in the same boat. I can't justify a premium price at the moment.

Wested has this approximation of a French cyclist style:
http://www.wested.com/new-x-men-first-class-havok-style-leather-jacket-498-p.asp

And this halfbelt:
http://www.wested.com/sky-fall-style-leather-jacket-247-p.asp

They offer customisation so I was thinking of going with the havok, in brown, with a curved collar from the 'Skyfall jacket' to add to the vintage look.

The halfbelt look a lot like an adaptation of their Indy jacket - not that I think that's a bad thing. Arguably gives it a more obvious, less military period feel without the patch pockets. FWIW, I have a Wested Raiders in goat. Is it up to the standard of my Aeros? No... but then my Aeros cost me significantly more than this did! Full disclosure, I scored my Wested on eBay, for, if memory serves, GBP £69. Totally mint condition - I suspect somebody may have worn it once for a costume event, then never again. Mine is the Wested goat. A little softer than my Aero goats, and ideal for Summer. I bought it with the intention of it being a Summer leather, and it is ideal for that. It has the lightness of lamb, but rather more durable - I know I'd clumsily shred a lamb jacket in no time. For the price, and as long as you're not expecting something that can sit even with the Aero or Eastman in every way (bearing in mind most of those are now four times the price of an OTR Wested!), they're great. If oyu were after an Indy, I'd recommend scouring eBay - time and patience can give you a great deal. Not sure how many of their other jackets are in the wild, though - the big seller for them is obviously the Indy.

Gibbs

New in Town
I appreciate all the suggestions so far. That Wested "X-Men" French cyclist's-style jacket in brown is right up my alley. Noble House has me interested too, but I'm still unsure of its quality. I've read all the threads on Noble House on FL already, but how does it compare with Wested? I'm not so worried about the jacket not being Aero-quality - I assume anything in my price range isn't going to have the craftsmanship of a premium jacket - as much as I'm worried about it having a weird fit or parts falling off or off-kilter stitching that makes its wearer look like the hunchback from Blazing Saddles.

With US Authentic currently offering certain A-2s on sale for $300 - and in my size - I feel foolish passing them up, but I was always much more of an M-422/G-1 guy.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Some Wested stuff is pretty well made. I had a goat Indy and although the pattern was inaccurate to the film jacket, the goat was thick and as good a any goat hide I've seen and the stitching was accurate. The cotton lining was thin and inadequate but if you talk to the owner, Peter, he will use better lining. Wested is better than mall jacket quality but not as good as Aero or Alexanders Leather quality. But it's as well made as many vintage leather jackets.

Last edited:

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
You may want to check out some jackets from Gibson Barnes, and while your looking at US Authentic - check out their Indy jacket and their G8. Although the G8 is marketed as a Navy jacket, from what I've heard the Navy never issued such a jacket. Yet it's brown goat with no knits, and I'd say it's quite distinctive.
I understand the price concern, I can't justify spending $1,000 on a jacket, maybe $600 but not much more.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. Back when I got my beloved Civil A-2 in 2001, it cost a mere $288! It's definitely worth keeping an eye on G&B's clearance page, though:

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/dept-295200/Leather-Jackets.html

Aside from those US Wings $195 jackets (with their synthetic linings and knits, and generic S-M-L sizing), I still recommend Wested. Even their custom-sized (and otherwise customized) jackets are reasonable... if admittedly not built to the milspec-tough standards of other makers. (But hey, they are a movie wardrobe house, not a military contractor.) That said, my vintage-2003 lambskin Raiders jacket has held up great... aside from the time I tore a big gash in the back... which Wested repaired at no charge. That's some pretty amazing customer service!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy