Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a hat from the net

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I usually buy my hats in person because my size varys from brand to brand. I wear a 7 1/8. I was wondering if the overseas (Australian) distributers were reliable. If so,who is the best? Are the hats sold in the states the same quality as the hats coming directly from Oz? Euopean and Aus sizes are metric and I wear a 57. Are Akubras true to size? I hate not being able to try one on first. I have my eye on the Cattleman and something from their Stylemaster line.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
That's good to know. I have noticed that the prices seem a bit low to me. I reckon everything in the US is overpriced. I'm not too fond of modern Stetsons. I did own a Beaver Brand back in the late 70's that seemed to be a quality head peice. My taste runs to Biltmores these days. Have not had any problems with them holding up in the weather like I have had with Stetsons. I work outdoors much of the time and my hats see a mess of rain and sun. My Biltmores don't leak or streak or get out of shape. I've had my eye on the Akubra Cattleman for some time now. I want a vented felt hat with a 3 or 3 1/2 in brim that I can wear in a summer downpour and not worry about it.

Michael D

Familiar Face
Are Akubras true to size?

Bob,

I own a Snowy River and a Squatter. The Snowy River I got over 10 years ago. It is a 59 cm size. When I bought my Squatter, knowing that my head has been getting bigger :p , I ordered the 60 cm. Well, it was so big on my head that I had to put the felt strip provided by the internet store to make it fit properly. I don't know why the difference would be so great between a 59 in the Snowy River and a 60 in the Squatter. The Snowy River is a little snug, but maybe it has shrunk some over the years.

I would order a 59 for myself in the Squatter knowing what I know now. I've read another post on this board that indicated that others have found the Akubra's to be a little on the big size.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Thanks y'all,

That's just what I thought. It all depends on the head. I was thinking that I may order one from a Stateside distributer, for ease of return if it does'nt fit. But is the quality the same? I have heard that some companies send substandard or seconds for sale overseas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo