Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cafe Racer vs. A-2

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Which do you prefer: Cafe Racer or A-2?

• Cafe Racer

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • A-2

Votes: 20 39.2%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks, Boyo. I've seen the Ventura, and I like the look of an A-2 better. To my eye, the Ventura has too many straps and the fit isn't as airtight. I like the protection from the elements afforded by a jacket with knits. Plus an A-2 has a one-piece back and the Ventura has like a six-piece back. I am drawn to the simplicity of the A-2 and cafe racer. Thank you, though. I appreciate your suggestion very much.

devilish

A-List Customer
My thought is this. If it's John Chapman that's making the jacket and it's your first from him (and possibly only) then it really should be an A-2. Even though all his jackets are going to be topnotch, he is the Master when it comes to A-2's and I feel that it's when making these he reaches the pinnacle of his craft. A nice Café Racer can be made by many different companies and all will have the same level of craft and style. A Good Wear A-2 though is the cream of the crop and has a little more panache than others. Just my two cents.

Hmmm... I don't own any Cafe's and I don't ride. However, any photo's of post-war American bikers will generally show a raft of A-2's being worn by those in the crowd. They were plentiful, cheap (at the time) and better than nothing. One of my fave scenes in the Oscar nominated movie "The Master" shows the protagonists making long, helmetless runs in the desert on some British Twin wearing goggles, cuffed jeans and an A-2. I didn't see any blousing Mr. Hoffman was really riding that thing hell-bent for leather. So while you could wear a Cafe in other surroundings without looking like a total "maroon" it's hard. An A-2 is more versatile and can do more things. Plus I just like collars! LOL!. This is just my personal opinion as I'm no expert.

Worf

For true Worf that the early motorcycle jackets were the A-2 as the early "bikers" were the fly-boys returning home.
Even the Fonz wore one, right?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
My thought is this. If it's John Chapman that's making the jacket and it's your first from him (and possibly only) then it really should be an A-2. Even though all his jackets are going to be topnotch, he is the Master when it comes to A-2's and I feel that it's when making these he reaches the pinnacle of his craft. A nice Café Racer can be made by many different companies and all will have the same level of craft and style. A Good Wear A-2 though is the cream of the crop and has a little more panache than others. Just my two cents.
+1

nick123

I'll Lock Up
For true Worf that the early motorcycle jackets were the A-2 as the early "bikers" were the fly-boys returning home.

Speaking of famous people wearing A-2s, I just noticed that Dee Dee's wearing a jacket with knit cuffs on the cover of the first Ramones album. Off topic I know.

IXL

One Too Many
I wear a CR frequently, both on and off bike. To my knowledge no one has giggled when I'm wearing it while not on the bike. People have, however, complimented me on my choice of jacket and have inquired as to where they might purchase one. The classic lines fit in everywhere, with the possible exception of a rodeo.
I do have a Vanson Satellite riding jacket, that would not be so well suited to everyday wear, but is da' bomb on the bike. But the classic cafe racer seems to fit in just about everywhere that tobacco juice isn't flying.
I do like the looks of the A2's but can't get over having knitted cuffs and waist, which seems so much less durable than an all-leather jacket. With absolutely no evidence to support this view, I fear that in a few years the fabric will be torn and ratty while the leather will still be fine.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
IXL; said:
I do like the looks of the A2's but can't get over having knitted cuffs and waist, which seems so much less durable than an all-leather jacket. With absolutely no evidence to support this view, I fear that in a few years the fabric will be torn and ratty while the leather will still be fine.

If the fabric gets too tatty (and tatty is fine), then it's easily replaced.

I wear a CR frequently, both on and off bike. To my knowledge no one has giggled when I'm wearing it while not on the bike. People have, however, complimented me on my choice of jacket and have inquired as to where they might purchase one. The classic lines fit in everywhere, with the possible exception of a rodeo....

+1

Worf

I'll Lock Up

Well I'll leave my opinion of "Da Fonz" out of it, but the rest is absolutely correct LOL! Truth be told I'm just too old and fat (although I've lost plenty of weight lately) to be seen prancing around in some collarless biker jacket like some refugee from some Japanese Biker movie. It may look nice on some but jest no moi!

Worf

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think that John is best known for his incredible accuracy in reproducing A-2 jackets and would probably choose the A-2 over the Cafe Racer for that reason alone.

Silverpoint

New in Town
I don't really get the 'posing' comments- isn't it all relative to what, where and who you are? If you in any way hang out with military type folk, then you'll likey look out of place in a cafe racer. Where I live- slightly tougher urban area- I'd look out of place in an A-2. If you're younger, again, you'd look out of place in an A-2. And as commented on already, if you have a 'more developed midrift'- a cafe style jacket is not going to exactly do you any favours.

They are two distinctly different looks, and I must admit I am having trouble understanding how someone would narrow down their search to these two options [but that is only my opinion]. I wear a cafe style jacket- but I do ride a bike- albeit only in the Canadian summer- and it does give me some street cred. Afraid that an A-2 would only enhance my 'geezer' age! :cool:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I don't really get the 'posing' comments- isn't it all relative to what, where and who you are? If you in any way hang out with military type folk, then you'll likey look out of place in a cafe racer. Where I live- slightly tougher urban area- I'd look out of place in an A-2. If you're younger, again, you'd look out of place in an A-2. And as commented on already, if you have a 'more developed midrift'- a cafe style jacket is not going to exactly do you any favours.

They are two distinctly different looks, and I must admit I am having trouble understanding how someone would narrow down their search to these two options [but that is only my opinion]. I wear a cafe style jacket- but I do ride a bike- albeit only in the Canadian summer- and it does give me some street cred. Afraid that an A-2 would only enhance my 'geezer' age! :cool:

And how do you define 'geezer age' :eeek: :D?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

Weren't A-2s originally worn by guys in their 20s and 30s?[huh]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Argh, when did I become a geezer! I demand an inquest.:D Seriously, though, I think how you wear an A-2 depends on its overall look. Personally, I'd rock an A-2 with a pair of slim-fit jeans and matching footwear, but paired with the right fit of chinos, and shirt, it could look quite smart-casual. In the end, it comes down to attitude: if you wear something with confidence and not feel self-conscious, then it doesn't matter. One caveat: if your waist is over, say, 34" skinny jeans, Converse boots and a Cafe Racer may be hard to pull off.

Last edited:

Graemsay

Practically Family
I'd go for a Cafe Racer over an A2.

I tried on an Eastman A2 a couple of weeks back, and it was quite a boxy cut, and really didn't work for my body shape. A Cafe Racer, made a couple of inches longer (say a 28" to 30") would probably be a more flattering look, particularly if I continue to drop weight.

If I was after a flying jacket then I'd get one of the navy patterns.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
About the A2 lookin "geezer". Let's look at the facts.

Last time I checked the average age of an American flyer during WW2 was 19 - that's fairly young in my book. Last time I checked the average age of the people on this forum is somewhere in the 40s.
Col Don Blakeslee took over an entire fighter group in 1942 at the age of 25 and he was considered "old" by his men. So where exactly did the A2 get its old man image, considering that it came to fame on the backs of men who were barely old enough to shave?

Silverpoint

New in Town
I wonder if it is not the whole 'war' thing- don't most people see it through 'historic' lenses today? Your point about young men (old teenagers!) being the group that created A-2's is well taken- but I wonder if today that is lost on the majority. You, and like minded aficionados can well respect the look- but that would be an informed appreciation, that is different from 'the majority'- would it not?

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The A-2 fit is damn hard to get 'on the nail', but you need to get it right, lest you fall in to 'blousey-ness'. I would love one to get it right though and and may have a run through Aero's sale rail the next time I'm over there, just to see how things go... That said, I love the Cage Racer, it's a classic look, though you'll have to work the collar hard to soften it up...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto