Cafe Racer vs. A-2

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Deleted member 16736, Feb 22, 2013.

Which do you prefer: Cafe Racer or A-2?

1. Cafe Racer

30 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. A-2

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Only 33%?...come on guys! Lol

2. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Perhaps this site is slimmer than you'd imagine *sucks in stomach*

3. I am choosing between those two styles because those are my two favorite jackets that Goodwear makes. There are many nice jacket styles.

I'm a little surprised Cafe Racer is winning so handily. Did all the A-2 fans defect to VLJ?

4. majormajor

majormajor One Too Many

As I opined right at the start, Joel, the idea of putting a "vs" between these two jackets is never gonna gain a great deal of interest. Hence the low turnout for your poll.

The A2 is a classic style. You either like it as it is - or you don't. Folks don't need to justify their feelings by comparing them to any other jacket.

The Cafe Racer is a M/C jacket. There are "classic" versions around, but also "functional" modified versions, too, reflecting the fact that it is essentially a tool for bikers.

It would be perfectly logical to own one of each, and no other jacket. One for riding, and one for the rest of the time. So the "vs" is, for me, redundant.

Or why not add buttons that say "I Like Em Both", and "I Like Neither Of Them". You might get a few more clicks:D;)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

As I said earlier, John is best known for his incredible accuracy in reproducing A-2 jackets and would probably choose John's A-2 over his cafe racer for that reason alone. However, that would only be the case if the choice was between John's A-2 and cafe racer jackets. If the choice involved any other company, I would probably choose the cafe racer over the A-2.

6. IXL

IXL One Too Many

Joel, which one are you leaning toward?

7. majormajor

majormajor One Too Many

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  8. SGB

SGB One of the Regulars

A few years ago I would have said A-2, but I no longer am interested in anything militaria as I'm buying only civie jackets now. At one time I had more than 50 A-2's on hand, but now I only have 2 repros that I never wear.
    Even though I no longer ride, I just bought another cafe racer, which has become my favorite daily wearer. It is more sporty and modern than an A-2, and fits in better with my new Jags.

SGB

9. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

In my book having worn 60s cafe racer jackets (Brooks) & A2's, I'd take an ELC A2 every time. I regularly wear my ELC Roughwear A2 out on 2 wheels & off (armour underneath by Knox & Draggin K Kevlar). I'm 46 yrs old with a 46" chest. In 30 yrs of jacket collecting the A2 is the best I have ever found in terms of both form & function. The A2 gets most positive comments when out and about (most comfortable on). However an ELC A2 & the beer/ kebab diet don't mix (unfortunately)...quite a military cut.

10. The Ventura is a busy-looking jacket and I'm not crazy about the fit. I actually like the knits on an A-2.

I'm probably going to go with the A-2, a general utility jacket anybody can wear. Although the Cafe Racer is a cool jacket, it just doesn't belong on my back.

11. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

I believe that you just answered your own question regarding which one to buy: A-2 :D
    Now you have to decide which contract :eeek:

12. Dr H

Dr H Call Me a Cab

Stick with the Doni - pure class...

13. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Dr H, don't let him off the hook so easily; the Bronco is also pure class too ... :biggrin:

14. Foster

Foster One of the Regulars

I've worn jackets with knit waistband so much than when I got a 50's half belt, it felt colder because it didn't have the knits closing off the waist!

15. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

The A-2 is cool as hell. It is not a dress jacket - not in my world. It's great for a pub or bar; an air show or coffee shop. It's an every day piece. A cafe racer can be dressier, but still not like a Ventura or half belt. Of course, those things may differ depending where you live and your social/work circles.
    The A-2 at one time would fit in everywhere, any time. I don't think that's true today. Just my 2¢ and unless you have the "right" A-2, the stitch nazees smack you. ;)

16. Highwaymanman

Highwaymanman A-List Customer

A good mate of mine has both an original A2 and a beat up no name cafe racer of the type that's turned bone white around the shoulders and seams with the wear that's been put on it. I have to say, both look pretty cool. As has been said already, I don't think it's an either/or choice. I prefer civvie style jackets myself but that's just me.

17. At the risk of hijacking my own thread, what happened with your Ventura? Did John make you a new one?

18. It's the Doniger. Got a lot of great feedback from people about it. It's comfortable and form-fitting, which is no small feat. Plus it's elegant and wearable in a wide variety of situations. I could easily wear it with a 40's shirt and tie. It really fits in anywhere. I don't feel like it's cliched, since I never see them.

19. majormajor

majormajor One Too Many

Good choice:D;)

20. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

I tried to PM you but your inbox is full:

Mind if I ask what exactly about the fit is it that you don't care for? Length or something else? I have one concern fit-wise, but wanted to see if it's the same as yours. I ask as I'm looking to get one very soon.

Feel free to answer here or via PM. Of course, you are also free to ignore me all together.:D