Cafe Racer vs. A-2

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Deleted member 16736, Feb 22, 2013.

Which do you prefer: Cafe Racer or A-2?

1. Cafe Racer

30 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. A-2

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. ForestForTheTrees

ForestForTheTrees One of the Regulars

Like I said, it's my one of my own personal style hangups. To me it's like guys I see wearing authentic jersey's at sporting events or just wearing them around town for that matter. I know that these guys don't play professional baseball, football or hockey. They just happen to dig the look and it's quite popular here in the states, just like cafe racer jackets and military jackets. More power to the folks who are so inclined. I'm not laughing at them, it's just not my thing.

2. P5640blouson

P5640blouson One of the Regulars

cafe racer vs. A2

I don't think in terms of everyday practicality that a racing shirt would be more useful than an A-2. The A-2 is much more relaxed fit and sealing out the weather readily, whereas the racing shirt is geared towards lightweight abrasion protection, with a level of protection from the weather elements. The A-2 has useful storage pockets whereas the café racer has pockets which are hard to use-those zippers can really scratch your hands. As for wearing the café racer off a bike, why not? Those jackets were originally intended for performance bike riding, but have long since been replaced by other higher performing technologies and garments. I've ridden dirt bikes and bombed down hills on my speedboard, for which the café racer affords basic (minimum) protection. I don't feel out of place wearing my racing shirt for light to moderate weather days to help keep the elements off. My modified A-1 style jacket is a measure more user friendly than my Buco J-100, but I like the J-100 for its sharp refined looks and moderate practicality. It is what it is, IMO, wear what makes you feel like a million bucks (whether it's a $30 Walmart camo pattern hooded sweatshirt or a $2800 Buco J-22) because you are worth it!

3. Asienizen

Asienizen One of the Regulars

I see what you mean. It could be that when I think of a person wearing an A2 - i think of a skinny young man in an old photo or newsreel. But most people today think of an A2 as a puffy mall jacket worn by a (if you'll pardon me) chubby old geezer. People associate an article of clothing with who and how it's worn today, not who wore it initially in the broad span of history.

And I have to admit, as much as I love the A2, it is boxy and the knits make it a bit frumpy - not very clean and smart.

4. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

I haven't finalized the numbers. But...I had to go out last night to a friend's gallery opening, and I was so p*ssed that I didn't have that jacket. I ended up wearing my brown FQHH 50's HBD. Everyone else was in typical for the area/event black. I need that jacket.

5. Dr H

Dr H Call Me a Cab

Ah...live a little Scott - stand out and be damned, I say.

6. SGB

SGB One of the Regulars

Yeah Scott, be different.
    I wore my brown cafe racer to my art opening earlier this month, only brown leather there.....lots of black everything on everybody else, some wearing a lot less than others. :) I survived.

SGB

7. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

I've been different long enough! Been wearing my browns to every LA event for years. Just figgered it's time for some industry-appropriate black. I think some of my friends think I'm doing some sort of passive-aggressive protest. :)
    Maybe I was. I know that last night, I wasn't even close to comfortable putting on an A-2. If it were a bar run/party, no problem. Just expanding the variety fellers. Looking into the closet, it seems kinda dopey to have a,dozen A-2's to choose from and nothing more. Now I'm getting a nice wide variety of civi and mil jackets. I do believe that's much more versatile and the jackets will actually get worn.

8. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Scott, you definitely need a black leather jacket in order to be better accepted by your peers. ;) :D

9. ForestForTheTrees

ForestForTheTrees One of the Regulars

It's a real shame that the Ventura you received wasn't a comfortable fit. That was a great looking jacket.

I also liked the Arcadia that Good Wear offered at one time.

10. bretron

bretron Call Me a Cab

Arcadia is my favorite of Johns civvies. Love the piping