Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all ladies that sew

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Can anyone give me any tips on how best to copy a vintage pattern that I have just bought.
I just got an early 1950's coat pattern through the post today that I am so in love with and I am taking this to a London tailor to be made as it really is far too advanced for me to attempt at home. I want to make a copy of the pattern first so that I can save the original from harm so that one day someone else can use it too.
I have never made a copy of a pattern before, but am I right in believing that you need to trace it onto tissue?
Please help!:) :)

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I've never tried the stuff, but when I ordered a pattern from Folkwear recently they sent me a little sample of some kind of fabric/paper they're selling for people to copy patterns onto. It seems pretty sturdy but is transparent. It kind of feels like interfacing. It seems like it would work very well, but I've never tried.

I only copied a pattern once, and I just used a tracing wheel w/marking paper and traced it onto wrapping paper since it was all I had in large enough pieces. It was kind of an unplanned thing.

BV

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Thanks Betty, that was kind of what I was planning on doing too.
I think I will try to straighten the pieces out with a very gentle iron temperature and then lay them out flat and trace them off.
I will have a hunt around for that tissue paper that you mentioned and then give it a go.
Wish me luck!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I'm certainly no expert on this one, but I recently copied a pattern by pinning it onto very cheap cotton yardage as if I were going to cut it out and tracing around with a fine tip marker-- verrry carefully, then unpinned and folded up the cotton yardage until I need it. Since I got the cheapest cotton I could find at Walmart, the whole project cost maybe $1.50.

Honey Doll

Snookie

Practically Family
That transparent paper sounds good because you can lay it on top of the pattern and still see the pattern underneath. My current favorite method is to lay the paper on top of the pattern, weight it (with pattern weights, soupcans, staplers, etc. -- NOT pins) and trace. Use a ruler for the straight parts. It goes faster and is neater.

Having the pattern underneath is easier b/c the edges don't curl away, the pattern doesn't shift, etc.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Muslin has been recommended elsewhere in the threads, but you need to make sure it is washed and shrunk before using it apparently. I ordered a bit of the Folkwear material to see what it was about, and will let you know. But in effect all you need is any material/paper that won't change size, that you can pin down to hold it in place, and see through. Best of luck with the coat - is it a fit and flare?

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Caledonia said:
Muslin has been recommended elsewhere in the threads, but you need to make sure it is washed and shrunk before using it apparently. I ordered a bit of the Folkwear material to see what it was about, and will let you know. But in effect all you need is any material/paper that won't change size, that you can pin down to hold it in place, and see through. Best of luck with the coat - is it a fit and flare?

Thanks Caledonia and everyone who has posted their advice on this subject. I will be interested to know how you get on with the Folkwear material. In the meantime I am busy patching up a few tiny paperbug holes I have found in the pattern!
In answer to your question yes the it is a fit and flare; an early 50's English Bestway pattern, doubled breasted with a rounded collar a real beauty.I paid far too much on Ebay for it but it was exactly the design I wanted. I will post a pic when I get back home next week if you like.
I am having it made as I really couldn't attempt this myself as I just don't have enough experience fitting and the back and front both have 3 panels!
I would have bought something from a shop but there is nothing this shape available anywhere!!!
Oh well I suppose it's an investment:rolleyes:

Caledonia

Practically Family
It sounds beautiful. I have a couple of similar patterns and this style is definitely my 50s coat when I get round to it! Yes, post a pic. I'll fire mine over to Show us Your Purchases when I get a minute. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21