Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone identify the woman in this 1930s photo?

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Vintage Betty - Wow, I'm speechless. Never in a million years would I have guessed anyone could figure out who she was, let alone find such a fascinating story. :eusa_clap I am in complete awe, my mind has been blown. You should be one of the researchers on PBS' History Detectives, this would have been a perfect story for them.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
I am now convinced that with a little effort the various and sundry members of the Fedora Lounge, with their various and sundry talents and abilities, could rule the world, if we wanted to. Our own vintage world!!!

:eusa_doh: Don't tell my husband. I'm difficult enough to deal with as is. ;)

Vintage Betty

LizzieMaine said:
Absolutely fascinating, Betty. Sounds like perfect material for someone to make a movie of her life!

Actually, I agree. Maybe we should ask one of our film gurus to take it on. Fascinating woman!

J. M. Stovall said:
Good show Betty! Bravo! :eusa_clap

Thank you Mr. Stovall!

Classydame said:
Vintage Betty, you should be on History Detectives! Great job!

Thanks so much for volunteering your time and giving us this great story!

Shellie

Thank you for appreciating my efforts Ms. Classydame and for the kind compliment!

BeBopBaby said:
Vintage Betty - Wow, I'm speechless. Never in a million years would I have guessed anyone could figure out who she was, let alone find such a fascinating story. :eusa_clap I am in complete awe, my mind has been blown. You should be one of the researchers on PBS' History Detectives, this would have been a perfect story for them.

Ms. BeBopBaby - I loved suprising you, and it really is my pleasure to share history with fellow history-lovers! The fact that I can blow anyone's mind let alone been given such a kind compliment is very touching. :)

HoosierDaddy said:
All I can say is Wow!!
Would you like to take on a family tree!!! I've been stuck on the early 1700s for the past thirty years...:( :eusa_doh: .......:) ;)
HD

Thank you Mr. HoosierDaddy. And as far as the research goes, no problem at all - I charge by the year. :D Let's see....2008 minus 1700 equals....

pgoat said:
A great story - and thanks so much V Betty!!:eusa_clap

You are very welcome, Mr. Pgoat!

Warbaby

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
The Mystery Woman and ties to Acts of Congressional Repeals: Read the exciting facts!

Some of you may wonder how I found this person and what effort it took. I thought those of you who are reading this far might actually be interested in how I found out this information and how I found out who this person is.

(snip)

Addendum: One of the most interesting parts of this research was that whenever I sent the photograph to someone they would say "...she looks familiar...".

What an extraordinary job of research! I've always fancied myself a good researcher and historian, but I hereby bow and doff my hat to a true master of the art. I shall now go shopping for a worthy pedestal on which to place you.

It's intriguing to wonder why she seems familiar to so many people. Everyone I've ever shown the photo to has had the same reaction, yet it's unlikely anyone other than a scholar of women's history would have ever heard of her.

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Kudos on the research!

I can now pass over peacefully with this solved!

What a back story, I could not a have fictionalized a better one.

I'm now going to go double my efforts to bury my past deeds deeper knowing you are out there researching.:D

Again thanks, what a fun thread.

J.B.

Practically Family
This absolutely has to be one of the most interesting threads on tFL!!

(I gotta make it out of "Hats" forum more often?!)

Vintage Betty

Mojito said:
Brilliant, Vintage Betty! That is some sensational detective work.

And I did say waaaaay back that it looked like a "Dr." abbreviation.

Ooops, I missed the darling Miss Mohito's comment! Thank you so much!

And you DID say it looked like a Dr. abbreviation. Imagine how much work I could have saved had I listened to your sage advice! :eusa_doh:

Vintage Betty

HoosierDaddy said:
All I can say is Wow!!
Would you like to take on a family tree!!! I've been stuck on the early 1700s for the past thirty years...:( :eusa_doh: .......:) ;)
HD

All right, I've decided to give this a try. Here's my thoughts:

1) Create a new thread with basic info.
2) PM me to send me paper information or sources used so I don't duplicate your work (no need to clutter up a thread unless you want to). Send via snail mail to me if you like.
3) Since you've been working on this for 30 years, I won't have a time limit.

I can see this morphing into a "Stump Vintage Betty" thread. Yikes.

Vintage Betty said:
All right, I've decided to give this a try. Here's my thoughts:

1) Create a new thread with basic info.
2) PM me to send me paper information or sources used so I don't duplicate your work (no need to clutter up a thread unless you want to). Send via snail mail to me if you like.
3) Since you've been working on this for 30 years, I won't have a time limit.

I can see this morphing into a "Stump Vintage Betty" thread. Yikes.

Wow..what a wonderful offer!
I will get paperwork together and PM you. Actually there is not alot. Most info was researched from tax rolls in Wilksboro,North Carolina.
HD

Vintage Betty

carter said:
Most impressive sleuthing and incredible perseverance! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thank you Mr. Carter! And may, I say for the record, that is one HANDSOME photo in your Avatar! :cool2:

Vintage Betty

Idledame

Practically Family
Is there anything you can't do VB? And you have a husband? I'm sure this wasn't the only thing you were researching. Does he ever see you? I, like the others, am in awe of your amazing talents and perseverence. Do you do research for a living? I assume your house is a (slightly) scaled down version of the Library of Congress, since I've seen alot of your postings in book threads. The heck with the Dr, someone should do a film about you! I nominate you as most fascinating FL person of 2008.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes