Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

epr25

Practically Family
katylouise said:
While trawling through vintage patterns on ebay I came across this:

IMG_9894.jpg

Despite being 3 buttons, this looks eerily like my jacket...does anyone recognize the time period of this Simplicity pattern? Judging by the design of the packaging? I wish I was that knowledgable, but alas I am not...[huh]

I think if you google pattern dating you will find a site that you should be able to accuratley date your pattern by the pattern number.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Help dating an old coat

Hello ladies. I would like to ask your help in dating this old coat. It belonged to my Aunt (1908-2006), who had it for as long as I can remember. There is a picture of her in the coat when I was born (1955), so I know that it pre-dates the mid-50's for sure. The coat is a black knobby-like wool, with a fur (seal skin?) collar. Here are a couple pictures.

DSC01430.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

Thanks for your help.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Well, I'm no expert by any means, but I'd say the coat is probably mid to late 30s and possibly early 40s. The Persian lamb (or Persian wool as they are known around here) coats were quite popular then.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you all for the input. I suspected the coat was 30's or 40's, but wasn't sure. It is in great shape, but too small for my wife and daughters. I guess it will have to wait around 10 or 15 years for my granddaughter. :)

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
Clueless newbie

Ladies, this is probably going to seem like a very silly question to you, especially the most experienced vintage buyers. I just bought a dress, and it is making its way through the post to me. I was wondering if you could confirm the dating of it for me. I have already looked at the Vintage Fashion Guild etc. These are the seller's photos (but my flickr account).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14478655@N05/?saved=1

It has a metal zipper at the side, and previously seems to have had shoulder pads. It has underarm pads/dress shields which I suspect I'll be getting rid of pretty sharply, is unlined and doesn't have a tag (homemade?). That's black velvet trim on the collar and sleeves.

It looks sort of like a forties dress to me, and it certainly doesn't seem to have any anachronistic features - plastic zipper etc. As it's my first vintage clothing purchase (I'm more of an accessories girl, especially shoes), I would really appreciate your thoughts on it. I'm looking forward to wearing it as a cute winter dress in any case, no matter when it was made.

satindoll

New in Town
Looks like a 40's dress to me! Also, many times the store or manufacturer/designer labels were removed from older garments, plus they didn't even have care labels back then. So it's not necessarily an indication that it was home made.

Very cute, BTW:)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
BonnieJean said:
I'm hoping someone can date this purse I got today at a local thrift store. Its a tooled leather purse with several compartments and it even flips around to make a different type of purse--I think it can convert from a handbag to a clutch. I know its older because of all the brass and there's a beautiful piece of glass around the "latch" (in the latch photo, it looks like a piece of the glass is missing, but its just the camera angle). It appears to be in pretty good shape. There is a stamp on the inside that says, "Made in Mexico Gitana Genuine leather". This purse reminds me of the one I used to play with when I was a girl at my grandmother's. I'm just curious to know more info because I haven't found much in my research so far. (I hope the pictures aren't humongous--my first posting of pics)

handbag1.JPG

handbag2.JPG

handbag3.JPG

closeup1.JPG

closeup2.JPG

I would guess 40s or 50s. Travel to Mexico became quite popular then and many things were made aimed at tourism. THe problem with hand made stuff with traditional crafts is you have no way of knowing if they stopped or continued making them the same up through the seventies or so. After that is unlikely they were still making things like this, but I have seen similar and suspected it could have been made in the seventies, once again popular for it's handcrafted hippie goodness.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
do you know shoes?

If so, when are these from? I was thinking they were 60s because of the elongated shape. They look handmade, or at least hand repaired. I've had them since 2001 and I've never worn them because they need a new heel sole:
001-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Thanks, Kitty! These are pretty much the only vintage shoes I've found in my size. I have these, a pair of clogs, and a pair of boots & that is my vintage shoe wardrobe. If I have any others, I can't remember them.

Miss Munch

New in Town
Thats a tricky one

They could be 60's or 70's, they look like shoes an older women may have worn and they make shoes for older ladies in their favorite styles for years because 60-90 year old ladies don't really buy shoes that are in fashion, but judging by the shoes colour/condition I would go for 70's aswell because the colour is still fresh and the leather dosn't look old and dry, I think the style would have been made for a few years before and after these shoes were produced.
Is the brand name visible at all?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm thinking maybe late 60's? I'm not too familiar with anything past the early 60's but they've got a kind of late mod feel to me...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Munch said:
They could be 60's or 70's, they look like shoes an older women may have worn

Actually, after looking at them again, I remember an old pair of black shoes my grandma used to wear when I was growing up that looked very similar to this. I bet these ones are very comfortable!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
They are very comfy--which is probably why they were repaired several times. There are no names at all that I can see--I think the insole is a replacement, and there is nothing stamped on the inside of the shoe itself.

I'll look at them sometimes & think eesh! those are ugly! then I try them on & they look very cute. In an ugly sort of way. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou