Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Sunny

One Too Many
Tigerlily said:
Would you guys say this is mid/late 50s?

121_238.jpg

121_244.jpg
121_245.jpg
I'm with you - mid, leaning toward late 1950s. The pleats are more of a 1950s thing than a 1960s thing. That's not a plunge neckline; that's a jumper! The wide shoulder line and deep, crossover V was popular for jumpers since the mid 1940s. It would not be worn without a blouse or sweater underneath.

The second one is a lot less structured and looks more 1970s or early 1990s to me. I had some hand-me-downs very similar in the '90s. Is that a lightweight denim? I honestly can't recall seeing denim used for anything but jeans before the 1960s, at the very least.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Sunny said:
I'm with you - mid, leaning toward late 1950s. The pleats are more of a 1950s thing than a 1960s thing. That's not a plunge neckline; that's a jumper! The wide shoulder line and deep, crossover V was popular for jumpers since the mid 1940s. It would not be worn without a blouse or sweater underneath.

See I am so unfamiliar with this whole "jumper" thing! As the dress had a kind of tulip shape I thought it looked like a 1959/1961 is short of wiggle dress. To me the blouse under dress thing will always make me thing casual and this item looks dressy to me....I have a lot to learn. :D

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
To me the blouse under dress thing will always make me thing casual and this item looks dressy to me....I have a lot to learn. :D

The wiggle dress jumper definitely wouldn't have been dressy - it would have been an every day sort of item.

Smuterella

One Too Many
KittyT said:
The wiggle dress jumper definitely wouldn't have been dressy - it would have been an every day sort of item.

thanks - I just always think of wiggle dresses as being automatically dressy due to the more fitted shape

*drives out the preconceptions*

Sunny

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Whoa... I thought of it as quite dressy! :p Or at least business-like. It's a very tailored style, and with a crisp or dressy blouse, perfect for the office. The material (wool?) is a nice smooth suiting in a subdued color. Not night-on-the-town dressy, of course, but everyday in terms of office-everyday. I agree that wiggle shapes don't seem casual. It'd definitely be more casual with a full skirt; or even if in a pattern (like a big plaid) or a brighter color or tweedy/textured material.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much Smuterella, ehappy, Sunny, and KittyT! I've had my eye on this dress for months on Ebay. There's a picture of Marilyn Monroe with a similar jumper on:

lwf0004copia5ms6.jpg

I fell in love with it and decided to find one! I'm afraid I won't be getting it though as it will be a tad bit tight on me around the waist! :(

Smuterella

One Too Many
I founf these on a second hand clothes market today for what I would consider an obscenely low price. they are a fawn suede with stiff lace inserts. The sole looks to be leather and in relatively good condition. The writing on the insole seems to say "Portland...." something

Any ideas?

2008_04200007.jpg

2008_04200006.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
I founf these on a second hand clothes market today for what I would consider an obscenely low price. they are a fawn suede with stiff lace inserts. The sole looks to be leather and in relatively good condition. The writing on the insole seems to say "Portland...." something

Any ideas?

2008_04200006.jpg
Whoa, I like those! The toe shape looks definitely 1960s, as does the insole. From the side, though, they give a big 1930s look. Lovely!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i don't have a pic of the item, but i'm wondering if anyone can tell me when they first started using nylon or other synthetics for hairbrush bristles. i have a brush and comb set (silver) that i think i want to get rid of, but the age will determine the price and outlet. it LOOKS old, but the bristles puzzle me...

thanks for any info!!

Aurora

One of the Regulars
I hope it's ok me asking in this thread, I didn't think it deserved it's own and it feels right here - If it's not, slap my wrist and bar me for a week! ;)

Telephone cord bags - I REALLY want one, but, didn they date from the 1940's AND 1950's or just the 50's? I've been told both, but if I'm going to be 100% 1940's at an event I don't want to look a right mug! Thanks xxx

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
Telephone cord bags - I REALLY want one, but, didn they date from the 1940's AND 1950's or just the 50's? I've been told both, but if I'm going to be 100% 1940's at an event I don't want to look a right mug! Thanks xxx[/QUOTE]

i associate these bags with the rationing of the '40s..I real;ly want one too, theyre gorgeous!

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Fab, thanks. 30's too? I think you'll be seeing a LOT of them in the Purchases thread.. I've got my eye on about 10 of them!! Is that greedy? :D

ehappy

Familiar Face
Nylon bristles

ShooShooBaby said:
i don't have a pic of the item, but i'm wondering if anyone can tell me when they first started using nylon or other synthetics for hairbrush bristles. i have a brush and comb set (silver) that i think i want to get rid of, but the age will determine the price and outlet. it LOOKS old, but the bristles puzzle me...

thanks for any info!!

Shoo shoo, here's a snippet from a NY Times article dated 1940

$3.95 - New York Times - Dec 28, 1940
Nylon brushes were first introduced in the Fall of 1938 by Veco Products Company...

With wartime happening in 1941, the War Production Board being established in 1942 and beginning to limit the production and allocation of materials including nylon so they could be used for the war effort, I can't imagine that many nylon brushes for personal use were for sale from that 1942 to 1945 time frame and if so, were probably a bit pricey.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
ehappy said:
Shoo shoo, here's a snippet from a NY Times article dated 1940

$3.95 - New York Times - Dec 28, 1940
Nylon brushes were first introduced in the Fall of 1938 by Veco Products Company...

With wartime happening in 1941, the War Production Board being established in 1942 and beginning to limit the production and allocation of materials including nylon so they could be used for the war effort, I can't imagine that many nylon brushes for personal use were for sale from that 1942 to 1945 time frame and if so, were probably a bit pricey.

ah, thank you! i ended up selling them to a friend for $5. they were heavy and i'm getting ready to move! :p

Rachael

A-List Customer
I recently inherited a few pieces from a distant relative, not sure what year they are from. I know she was married in the late '40s and her kids were born soon after. By the time I knew her she was no longer this size.

bluedress.jpg

bluedresscollar.jpg

bluedresspocket.jpg

The waist has a great cartridge/channel pleated detail and I love the beading at the collar. The fabric is a heavy wool crepe. When worn, the pockets flair out at the hips creating a wedge look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen