Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you stretch a fedora?

flylot74

One of the Regulars
I did manage to get a stetson stretched, but it is a different hat, a cowboy hat that is cardboard hard. The sweatband did pull apart a bit at the stitching in the back.

The question is, can you stretch a fedora from 7 to 71/8? Since most are softer, will this me more or less successful? if this is possible, it certainly increase the availability of vintage hats for my purchase.

... and since there some nice 7s for sale here.... :D

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
I'd also be interested in knowing. :)

I have a vintage Glen-Gary Irish Army cap, complete with the "FF" badge and all, and it's just a little too small.

-BigLittleTim

barrowjh

One Too Many
There is more detailed advice here from prior threads (by more knowledgeable folks) - I will try to repeat it- (others, correct me if I err) edited to add - great post Feltfan -

the best way to stretch a hat is during a regular cleaning/reblocking with a new sweatband. I think hatters can get at least one full size, maybe two.

If you are at home using a small wood-block hat stretcher, then the most that you can expect is generally about a half-size, and that requires some effort with vintage sweatbands. Being careful not to break the threads, have to turn out the sweatband and treat with Lexol. Let that sit overnight (long enough for the Lexol to be absorbed enough to not rub off on the felt) then turn the sweat back in and get the stretcher just tight, let that sit overnight (or a couple of nights) and then repeat if the sweat was really dry, if not just increase the stretch a little every couple of days.

the reason you are limited to a half-size (and that is at best, some maybe not that much) is that the crown and the brim become warped. I think maybe JT Marcus and some others have successfully stretched some hats further, but they were basically dis-assembling the hat and reassembling it to do so.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
John is right. If you want to go more than half a size, it is best to take the hat apart, then stretch (wet) and let it dry for several days. Then put it back together. The stretch you want will result in a one half inch gap at the sweat band seam, in the back of the hat. (Be sure to clip the seam, before you sew the sweatband back in.)

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, stretching a hat is much easier than shrinking your head, except for certain tribes of people in remote parts of the world.:) I'm in a rare whimsical mood tonight.:D

dean

carter

I'll Lock Up
They wear hats, do[n't] they ?

deanglen said:
Yes, stretching a hat is much easier than shrinking your head, except for certain tribes of people in remote parts of the world.:) I'm in a rare whimsical mood tonight.:D
dean

Well you certainly are in a mood with this and bashed crowns.

The image of tiny little fedoras won't leave me soon enough. :rolleyes:

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I am a 7 3/4 LLO but when I started collecting I actually thought that I was a 7 1/2. I now have a 7 1/2 hat that I wear all the time and I have to stretch it all the time on the hat stretcher....

deelovely

Practically Family
I have a couple of size 7 hats that are just a little tight that I stretch out to about a 7 1/8. They do seem to tighten back up a bit after a while so I just put them back on the stretcher before I wear each time...:)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
barrowjh said:
turn the sweat back in and get the stretcher just tight, let that sit overnight (or a couple of nights) and then repeat if the sweat was really dry, if not just increase the stretch a little every couple of days.

As a rule, that might not be bad advice. But there are
exceptions. I am currently manhandling a 50s Stetson 3X
cowboy hat. I have stretched it maybe six times so far,
creating a long diamond bash each time. Just can't get
that recalcitrant hat to bend to my will and go from 3/8
to 1/2 LO. Each time I stretch it, I steam it good and
crank the stretcher with all my might. Each time it shrinks
back (except for the hat band, which is now a touch loose).
No sign of damage whatsoever to the sweatband or felt.

That is one tough hat.

At least the crown is learning a lesson- each bash is
better than the last.

But in general I'd advise starting slow before really putting
the brass knuckles to a vintage hat. What I am doing to that Stetson
might have torn a Champ or Adam of similar vintage in half!

flylot74

One of the Regulars
I assume when you guys talk about a half size you mean like from a size 7 to a 7 1/16, half way to a 7 1/8. Perhaps before I start trying this stuff out on a hat I have high regard for, I should buy something I don't mind trashing and testing my skills first. I would be heartbroken to damage a hat I really liked.

I was thinking on bidding on a couple of the 7s for sale here, but then I would certainly send them to a professional as I would hate myself for screwing them up.

I am a bit apprehensive. I think patience is the better part of virtue here.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Felty has posted some very good information. I might add though, water seems to work better than steam for me. Water and patience that is. My recommendations are as follows.
1. Lube the leather with Lexol or baby oil seems to well also.
2. Soak the area to be stretched inside and out with water. ( I mean soak it, to the point it drips)
3. Set your stretcher to the size you want and leave it alone. Up to a weak if need be. This having been said, the number of sizes you are moving up may need to be done in stages ( if you hear the stitches straining , stop. Let the hat get used to its current stretch. Then you can go further). If it is worth doing, it is worth having the patience to do it right.
This should give you the result that you desire. Some will say that you can only stretch one size, two at most. I say bunk, I am 23 1/8", a standard 7 3/8th. I have hats that I currently wear, that hold the size, that did not pop the sweat or damage the hat in anyway, that were resized just as I have described. Most recently, I found this hat, it was a size 7 and now it fits like a dream.

P1010229.jpg

P1010226.jpg

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
ideaguy said:
hey Bud! you said "bunk"?? are you sure of what that means?? "bunk"?

A southern term I guess, it means baloney or something to that effect. I guess I never heard the term used when I was in Chicopee or Springfield at Bay State Med.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Bud-just pulling on yr ear about bunk. I'd use a lot stronger than that...but
back to hat stretching- you took a 7 up to a 7 3/8? last time I tried over
2 sizes the hat ended up in pieces. Howdya doit??[huh]

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Not a problem ideaguy, I stretched it just as I posted. Lots of water and patience. It took two steps to accomplish the fit I was in search of. As you can see in the photos, no damage was done to the hat. As for the fit, well I guess all will have to take my word on it. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy