Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Capes

HistoricDetroit

New in Town
Heya Folks,
I'm new to this here fine establishment, so don't give me the bum's rush if this has already been covered, but what are some of your opinions of capes? I have always though the cape that FDR wore was sharp looking, and wouldn't mind one of my own. Is there anyone who makes one similar to the Brooks Brothers model that FDR wore? I noticed a couple nice ones on mysuitshop.com

http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/elro/gallery/cape_HOFR1585.html

What type of suit does a guy where a cape with? Does one where a hat with a cape?

Thanks,
HistoricDetroit

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
historicdetroit said:
What type of suit does a guy where a cape with? Does one where a hat with a cape?

A blue one. With a large S on the chest. Red boots. :p

O.k.,seriously. I think a fedora would be acceptable. Or maybe a deerstalker like Sherlock Holmes. I would think to pull off the cape look you would need to live someplace quite cold. On the other hand if you dress in a theatrical mode,ala Vincent Price it might work too. Let's see some pics of you in your cape! Welcome to the Lounge! Cheers!

matei

One Too Many
They were big in the 70's with on the prog music scene as well. Check out pics of Yes - the bass player had a swell cape.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yup. I'm with M.Deckard. Nothing looks as alluring and mysterious as a man in a top hat with a billowing cape, especially if it happens to be foggy that day :)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Hey, JP! Post a shot or two of your friend(his name escapes me, sorry)!

jamespowers has a friend that always shows up to events in Edwardian dress; cape, bowler, waistcoat, cane, the works. Looks great on him.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
My personal opinion leans toward the use of a cape instead of a topcoat. A topcoat is a nice look and can be worn with a fedora. But I feel that a cape should be worn with a top hat. A little more formal.

Chad

Thought about this one for some time and came to the decision that it would be a bit over the top for me, which is hard to believe because I'm always over the top. I do like that 1920's politician/industrialist look and even on Sunday I had to hold back from getting a vintage beaver top hat I found for only $65 - Made in LONDON! - Now I'm regretting it.

Goth guys get away with capes all the time though. I did in passing once joke to a bald-headed and goatee-ed man in a cape - "Hey, it's Anton Levay" and he came back with a snide "I'll have you know I'm a satanist." Pretty creepy.

Senator Jack

Feraud

Bartender
If some folks find it hard to wear a fedora, imagine a cape!

Personally, I love 'em! Never had one but think they are really Victorian looking. I dig that period of menswear.

I think one would have to dress very 'period' to pull it off.

The Wingnut said:
Hey, JP! Post a shot or two of your friend(his name escapes me, sorry)!

jamespowers has a friend that always shows up to events in Edwardian dress; cape, bowler, waistcoat, cane, the works. Looks great on him.

Hahahahhahah! Yeah he sure does. You forgot to mention the smoke colored glasses. The bowler works as well as the Homburg and the top hat. I like the tophat the best and Jason usually wears the tophat with the cape. It looks nearly the same as the one first posted except the frogs are lions on his.
I will see if I can dig out a picture. If I have one. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Mycroft

One Too Many
They are cool (capes) for Sherlock Holmes, FDR, Super heros and Victorian Wear, maybe medival as well. I kind like them, but the longer ones for Medivalish stuff, but more of a cloak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran