Capeskin A-1 Jacket Mold

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by jonesy86, Oct 17, 2019.

1. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean up mold on my GW A-1 Capeskin, and how to prevent further growth?

I live up on a bluff facing the ocean and the prevailing winds. When frequent storms roll through it is like living in the middle of a rain cloud. I suppose leather jackets were not made for a tropical island.

I welcome any comments and suggestions

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Fairly common in the tropics. Warm soapie water on a cloth/sponge, or 60%/40% water/vinegar solution on a damp cloth. Do not put away wet.

3. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Oh no, that sucks. I don't have a solution, hung an old one outside last year because of mold, it's still there and still stinks, good luck sorting it out, be a shame if you can't.

jonesy86 likes this.
  4. Peter Mackin

Peter Mackin Practically Family

I put a jacket that was 100 times worse than yours in the washing machine.i actually had binned as it was completely covered in mould,,,every inch not just in spots ,20deg wash then left to air dry,,soaked in peckards & it turned out perfect ,,hopefully you will get it sorted,,

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    jonesy86 and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  5. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

I believe the extent of your mold problem depends on the type of mold. I am not familiar with capeskin but my experience confirms sep lucas methods work on steer and horsehide

jonesy86 likes this.
  6. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

I sometimes keep my leather boots in ziplock bag during summer.

jonesy86 likes this.
  7. zebedee

zebedee Practically Family

Spray the inside of your cupboards with watery vinegar. Hang anti-odour strips in the cupboards, too. A dehumidifier will definitely help.

jonesy86 likes this.
  8. Dr H

Dr H One Too Many

Oh that’s such a shame. That’s a nicer cape than John has used in the past. Mould is horrible: that cloying smell that gets into the cotton lining is also awful. Hope the suggestions work.

jonesy86 likes this.
  9. seres

seres A-List Customer

I agree with Seb Lucas' treatment. Afterward, when dry, seal it in a plastic bag with an Ozone generator for an hour or so. That should kill the mold spores and odor. Then store it in a humidity controlled area.

jonesy86 likes this.