Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carhartt Duck Detroit Jacket

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
13894682-7065853-image-a-108_1558678373223.jpg 13894680-7065853-4_1558682143820.jpg 13894718-7065853-image-a-90_1558678279195.jpg 13894708-7065853-2_1558682143739.jpg

Edward

Bartender
That tan colour rather suits Kanye, but yes, to my tastes he's wearing at least two sizes too big. Of course, that's probably a deliberate choice as the over-sized look has lnog been popular with the hip hop fraternity.

Edward

Bartender
That tan colour rather suits Kanye, but yes, to my tastes he's wearing at least two sizes too big. Of course, that's probably a deliberate choice as the over-sized look has lnog been popular with the hip hop fraternity.

RogerT

New in Town
I own a bunch of Carhartt stuff, coats, jackets, vests, work pants and shorts. I'm lucky enough to have several places around here in northern Utah who carry Carhartt in some variety. One thing about Carhartt is just about every piece of a single pattern will fit different. It's common to have and inch or two or more variation between, for example large tall jackets, when there are several on a rack to try on. They also shrink a little after several washings and over time....so if you get one with a snug fit when you buy it, it'll be too small after a few years.

But for my build, 6'2", 175 pounds, kind of short torso with kind of long arms and the look I like, nothing except my Iron Hearts and Aero jackets suit me quite so well. I just went on a Carhartt buying spree because they've discontinued the Detroit jacket, Tractor jacket, and Berwick jacket. So, after extensive internet searches I found and ordered two Tractor jackets, one Detroit and one Berwick. I wanted the Berwick in Carhartt brown but it was only available in black and I paid twice the usual price...but it fits perfectly, a large, couldn't have been tailored any better, it's a keeper. The first Tractor jacket, only available in black in large, is too baggy and the arms are too short. The Detroit, only available in dark brown in large, and 2nd Tractor are still inbound....we'll see, with Carhartt it's kind of a crap shoot.

pak

One of the Regulars
I own a bunch of Carhartt stuff, coats, jackets, vests, work pants and shorts. I'm lucky enough to have several places around here in northern Utah who carry Carhartt in some variety. One thing about Carhartt is just about every piece of a single pattern will fit different. It's common to have and inch or two or more variation between, for example large tall jackets, when there are several on a rack to try on. They also shrink a little after several washings and over time....so if you get one with a snug fit when you buy it, it'll be too small after a few years.

But for my build, 6'2", 175 pounds, kind of short torso with kind of long arms and the look I like, nothing except my Iron Hearts and Aero jackets suit me quite so well. I just went on a Carhartt buying spree because they've discontinued the Detroit jacket, Tractor jacket, and Berwick jacket. So, after extensive internet searches I found and ordered two Tractor jackets, one Detroit and one Berwick. I wanted the Berwick in Carhartt brown but it was only available in black and I paid twice the usual price...but it fits perfectly, a large, couldn't have been tailored any better, it's a keeper. The first Tractor jacket, only available in black in large, is too baggy and the arms are too short. The Detroit, only available in dark brown in large, and 2nd Tractor are still inbound....we'll see, with Carhartt it's kind of a crap shoot.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

THEY DISCONTINUED THE DETROIT?

Really?

(also, the Large detroit will be far to big on you, i am 6'2 185lbs and a M is somewhat large on me. It fits @ton312 perfectly and he is 205 or 225 i think.

ducatimonster

Familiar Face
I´m 5´10 and 168lbs and have a Medium
The Short was OK on shoulders and P2P but was too tight at waist and I´m only 31...
My first one was made in Mexico but the one I currently have its made in USA.
The overall length of the one made in Mexico is longer ( about one inch) than the one made in USA.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Didn't know what I had was a Detroit until this thread. Gifted to me through a bunch of people trading, some ending up with stuff they didn't need. Elbows patched. Cuffs patched. A ballpoint pen spring for the chest pocket zipper pull. A great beater jacket and a favorite. Surprised it got put on the hit list.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I've worn Detroit jackets for years-but I work in them, and wear them out. They go from being new, brown, and stiff to faded, stained, and frayed, to finally, relegated to working on my cars in cold weather. Wear a "seasoned" Detroit jacket in Lowes or HD, and people will ask YOU for advice on building materials! I just wish the lining was real blanket material, and not the compressed lint that Carhartt uses....

RogerT

New in Town
From my post #49 above, I got the 2nd Carhartt Tractor jacket and the dark brown Detroit jacket yesterday, both size large, and both fit perfect. Where the 1st Tractor jacket was flabby and baggy looking the 2nd is trim and tailored looking. The Detroit jacket fits so well that, except for the color, I could sew on an air born patch and stripes and it'd pass for a WWII Ike.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I saw online that they are not really discontinuing the Detroit, but they are preparing to release a new "updated" version.
A bit like when they went from a 100% blanket lining to the current "blanket in the body, quilt in the arms" situation.
Now will this new version be better? or will it be "cheaper"?

I decided to stock up just in case...

myIi7Xs.jpg

I already have a brown and a black one that i wear.
These will stay packed until the first ones are dead. I should be ok for the next 10 or 20 years...

RogerT

New in Town
Yeah, I agree Sierra Trading Post is a great place to shop for anything Carhartt. With regard to post #57, I think it's a good move to stock up on those Detroit jackets. I think it would be hard to improve on the current pattern and materials. One thing I noticed in the "Sandstone" Detroit jacket I just bought is that the fabric is softer and perhaps thinner than my 10+ year old Detroit and the blanket liner is also thinner.

By the way, I noticed Iron Heart is offering a Detroit Jacket look alike they call the 17oz brown cotton duck work jacket. It's even very close to Carhartt brown in color.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It appears the "new and improved" Detroit has been released...

New: https://www.misupplies.co.uk/clothi...tt-workwear-103828-duck-detroit-jacket-p58028

Old: https://www.misupplies.co.uk/clothi...rtt-workwear-ej001-duck-detroit-jacket-p49107

So the differences i can spot are:

-New one has a storm flap, IMO not really necessary on a work jacket.
-New one has a drop tail in the back, i don't like it, it looks bad...
-New one deleted the side waist adjusters, i didn't use them, but i think they are part of the look of the jacket, like a trucker.
-New one has a plastic looking puller on the chest pocket rather than old brass one.
-New one has weird "action folds" in the elbows, don't think they were needed and they look weird...
-New one has improved wrist closures, i actually prefer them to the originals which i always find weirdly shaped.
-Inside pocket layout has been cheapened, rather than the old in between lining pockets they are now stitched on the lining.

The new one is described as "made in a more eco friendly manner, an improved fit", not sure what that means...
They also now mention "long sleeves" which makes me wonder if they though the original gorilla arms of the old model needed to be even longer?

All in all, i am glad i stocked up on the older model, i admit i have not tried the new model on, but i don't like most of the "upgrades" other than the wrist closures.
It seems to me they tried to improve something that didn't really need it and actually made it worst... Classic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto