Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caribou Gray

The Lark

One of the Regulars
I find this colour very confusing. I want to order a Stetson Whippet (cheapest I've found is here) - http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=442&subcname=Stetson

However, I've looked at lots of images of 'caribou gray' hats and the tone of colour varies significantly from photo to photo. Sometimes it is quite dark and other times it is almost like silver belly.

What are your experiences with this colour, because I want a fedora to wear with white shirts and light colored jeans. Something to contrast the carbon gray Akubra I already have.

cptjeff

Practically Family
It's a medium gray. Certainly not either a silverbelly or a carbon. With a black band, that type of medium gray is absolutely the most versatile color fedora you can have, I have yet to see an outfit one wouldn't go well with.

And good call on the whippet.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
I have the Whippet in Caribou. It's a great hat, though I find myself mostly wearing it with a suit -- somehow, it feels too formal for my day-to-day clothes in a way that my midnight-blue homburg doesn't. I'm not really sure why... maybe it's the bound brim? [huh]

frussell

One Too Many
Caribou

Lark - I've owned two Stetson Temples, one stingy 2", and now own one Nostalgia in Caribou. It's my favorite Stetson color. All the ones I've had have been a medium grey, as stated above. It's lighter than my Carbon Fed IV, but a bit different than Akubra's Moonstone. As stated, it's super versatile, and goes with just about everything I own. It's definitely not Silverbelly, not by Akubra, Resistol or Stetson standards. Check for the thread here "Stetson Nostalgia or Akubra Fedora?" Good pictures, you can see the Caribou is a bit less blue-hued than the Moonstone. Pretty accurate representation of Caribou in natural light. Good Luck. Frank

carldelo

One Too Many
Yeah, the guys have it right above - it's a true medium gray, won't be anywhere close to carbon. It's a clever color, seems only gray, but definitely has brownish undertones, doesn't seem to have much blue, goes with a lot of different clothes. I find my Caribou Ashland to be a fine everyday hat, particularly for daytime wear - maybe it's the lack of brim binding (it has an underwelt brim), but I don't find it too formal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy