Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cartoon shows that you remember watching as a kid

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
another one I love is Elmer Fudd....."I'm gonna hunt down that waskily wabbit"
Elmer.gif

Steve

Practically Family
Zohar said:
A Disney cartoon featuring Donald Duck trapped in a Nazi bomb making factory. Interesting wartime propaganda for Americans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDWF8hznHZs
That one was very interesting. I loved the animation; the faces reminded me of the old animated Peter Pan. How long do you all think it will be on YouTube before it gets flagged?

That said, I love the old cartoons, mainly Tom & Jerry, Loonie Tunes, and any of the plays on old celebrities. Those were the best.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Okay boid, da jig is up!"

I love those Warner Bros cartoons! I wonder if anyone remembers the one where Bugs tries to have a nap under a tree, and an apple falls on his head and he envisions himself transported back to the Middle Ages. There, he's harassed by a very short knight with a very long lance, and utters the classic line, "I happen to be very good friends with the Duke of Ellington, the Count of Basie, and Sir Cab of Calloway."

I didn't get that line as a kid growing up in the 70's, but of course later on I flipped when I heard it!

Just thinking of the Bugs/Elmer version of "The Barber of Seville" is enough to make me start laughing. Chuck Jones and the rest of those guys were geniuses.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
I think "What's Opera, Doc" is one of the all time best cartoons ever made, period. So many of us growing up probably never realized how much classical music and opera we were actually exposed to because of the old Warner Bros. cartoons. Then the day comes when we hear something familiar on the radio and think, "Whataminute! That's in a cartoon!" A tip of the hat should certainly go to Carl Stalling.

penfencer

Familiar Face
I like anything featuring Foghorn Leghorn. Now there was a man's man! :)

I just bought Disney's "On the Front Lines" box of World War Two training cartoons. It features "Victory Through Air Power." A "must" for WW2 buffs.

binkmeisterRick said:
I think "What's Opera, Doc" is one of the all time best cartoons ever made, period. So many of us growing up probably never realized how much classical music and opera we were actually exposed to because of the old Warner Bros. cartoons. Then the day comes when we hear something familiar on the radio and think, "Whataminute! That's in a cartoon!" A tip of the hat should certainly go to Carl Stalling.
Ride of the Valkyrie singing "Kill the Rabbit, Kill the Rabbit!"

Bugs Bunny was the intro to a lot of stuff for me, opera, all those movie and movie star references from the 40's and such. We did a short thread about the use of Raymond Scott music and how it was used a lot by Carl Stalling.
War Dance of the Wooden Indians, Toy Bugle, Powerhouse and such!

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Nora Charles said:
For my husband...
imgres

and one I found hilarious before I knew who Abbott and Costello were!

That was a good one. I can still hear Catstello yelling "Hey Babbit". Some of my favorites are:

Betty Boop
Yosemite Sam
Taz
Buggs Bunny
Felix the Cat
Garfield

I miss the old Saturday mornings. I have checked out some of the new stuff that is on and was completely disgusted with what is on now.

Gray Ghost

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
binkmeisterRick said:
I believe you're looking for the cartoon titled "Slick Hare."

post script:

bink, i've just watched "Slick Hare" and you know, i don't think it's the cartoon i've been trying to remember. the one i remember was much more nightmarish and scary (possibly a dream sequence) i vaguely remember a scene with lots of doors, and there were guns being brandished about. perhaps it wasn't bogart as a cartoon character but peter lorre ? i know he was definately in a couple of cartoons too. maybe it was sylvester the cat ? (sorry to be so vague. it was a long time ago).

thanks for your help. any more ideas would be welcome !

(i've bought looney tunes golden collection vol.2 hopefully it's on there)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps you're thinking of "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery", with Daffy Duck as "De-teck-a-tive Duck Twacey"? That's loaded with scary stuff, including caricatures of all the Dick Tracey villains - it's one of Bob Clampett's most nightmarish cartoons (which is saying something, as pushing his heroes into hallucinations was one of his key techniques) and has a heavy noir style... (Even if it's not the one you're thinking of, it's a classic worth checking out!)

topcat

Familiar Face
Perhaps then HBone kid, you're thinking of when Bugs shows up at
haunted castle where Lorre is Mad Scientist over the Orange Gossamer
Monster? Gossamer runs away at one point in self concious fright once
Bugs informs him of all the people in the audience who are watching.

I am shocked! as Renault would say in Casablanca, NOBODY apparently
remembers Tex Avery classic Rockabye Bear, that I mentioned in my other
post here?? ITS HILARIOUS.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
oooh, I love garfield! when I was a kid, I loved the comic strips in the newspapers. There were also a few books out that were pretty hilarious :)
index_img.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

A lot of the DVDs of the Warner Brothers movies from the Golden Age have a feature called "Warner Night at the Movies" usually found under the extras. If you click on that, you get an intro from Leonard Maltin, a trailer from another movie, a newsreel, a short or two and a cartoon, all from the same year as the feature on the DVD, and then the main feature will start. I saw the two Warner Bros cartoons featuring caricatures of Bogart on DVDs of Bogart movies.

Oh, and the cartoon featuring Donald Duck dreaming he was working in a German weapons factory, called "Der Fuhrer's Face" is on the "Disney Treasures On The Front Lines" DVD, along with a bunch of other great stuff.

jdjs

Familiar Face
Fun Fun Fun

Seems everytime I read this thread, I get ready to post and something happens, so here's a potluck of stuff.

- point your browser over to the Refrederator site (http://www.refrederator.com/). Starting this week, there is a "new" classic cartoon each day (and it's Mighty Mouse Day, today)!

- meanwhile, at a local comic shop near you, DC finally released the first wave of Warner classic characters. In the first batch is Bugs and Elmer from "What's Opera, Doc" (as well as the Scarlet Pumpernickel with Daffy, Henery and Sylvester). You can see them here: http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=4502 (and if you do a search for Looney Tunes, you can see the next sets, including Gossamer!)

I have to admit that I also got introduced to opera (and the classics) through Bugs Bunny. I recently watched a documentary on Chuck Jones (Extremes and InBetweens - A Life in Animation), where this is actually addressed. I guess they took some heat for the "abuse" of many tunes, but it pointed out the painstaking work it took to keep them as accurate as possible. Made me appreciate the art even more (if that was possible)

JD

Tony in Tarzana

There are celebrated orchestra conductors who cannot hear Wagner's Die Walkure without thinking "Kiw da wabbit..."

I suspect more than a few people were introduced to a love of classical and jazz music by Bugs, Chuck Jones, Carl Stalling and the gang.

Doh!

One Too Many
Back when I was in college, Chuck Jones gave a really nice talk at our campus theater. The most amazing thing was that even though he was starting to get up there in years, he stood for a solid hour and took questions from the audience!

And there's nothing like seeing Looney Tunes on the Big Screen as God intended. Plus, if you ever get a chance to see the "Is there a doctor in the house?" gag, it REALLY works when the sillouette up front stands and says, "I'm a doctor!" It absolutely looks like an audience member standing there. Great stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner