Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Celebrities jackets

Edward

Bartender
I hope this is OK if I take a slight detour into Not That Famous Bands from the Eighties that Rocked Some Cool Jackets ....

Roddy Frame from Aztec Camera:

clash-K5MG_o_tn-500x333.jpg

Pretty sure that's (L to R) Paul Simonon and Joe Strummer of The Clash...

Here they are a bit later:

acd4e50a5046ee3549c94fba51766a8f.jpg

Those look very much like American jacket in this one, rather than the Lewis Leathers they are wearing in the shot you posted.

Joe in the Lewis & cap here:

2f909a6b1570df5c406faea78819c2e5.jpg

The London punk rock scene really favoured Lewis (Mascot, Goldtop or one of the other English brands if you couldn't afford a Lewis). Joe and the boys wore Lightnings, Sid Vicious had a second hand Dominator (which started life as a genuine Rocker's jacket), and Steve Jones wore several Lewises at one time and another. It's one thing that went back over the Atlantic with the Ramones when they played in the UK in the late 70s; Joey and Marky both wore Lewises for some years thereafter (Schott was also popular with the band, though a number of Joey's later jackets were also Vanson).

TLW '90

Practically Family
I'm not much of a fashion type and wouldn't go trying to emulate any celebrities if I did, but on top of Charley Crocketts great musical skill, I appreciate how the son of Davey has is style pretty well nailed down.
He'll tone it down a bit when he's doin' more blue stuff, but when he's all in with the honkey tonk that's when wears some pretty interesting stuff.

I think #5 and #6 are pretty cool.
#8 looks like something that could be recognizable to someone here.

I know he owns everything he wears, not sure where he gets it all but some of it is gifted by friends...ect.

Edward

Bartender
You’re right, I got my picture labels off! This is the Roddy Frame I meant to post:

View attachment 367318

To be fair, he does look like he could have been one of the lesser-known members of the post-Mick Jones Clash! The Clash boys did have quite the impact on rock and roll fashion.

I'm not much of a fashion type and wouldn't go trying to emulate any celebrities if I did, but on top of Charley Crocketts great musical skill, I appreciate how the son of Davey has is style pretty well nailed down.
He'll tone it down a bit when he's doin' more blue stuff, but when he's all in with the honkey tonk that's when wears some pretty interesting stuff.

I know he owns everything he wears.

While not sure I could work all of those looks, I really like them on him. Real sense of his own style, looks great. Some of it reminds me a bit of Johnny Depp, but with a more Western vibe and very much his own take on it.

TLW '90

Practically Family
To be fair, he does look like he could have been one of the lesser-known members of the post-Mick Jones Clash! The Clash boys did have quite the impact on rock and roll fashion.

While not sure I could work all of those looks, I really like them on him. Real sense of his own style, looks great. Some of it reminds me a bit of Johnny Depp, but with a more Western vibe and very much his own take on it.
He's definitely dialed into the style of a 50's-60's Texas country singer.
The look goes right along with his sound.

Just think Webb Pierce or Ernest Tubb

Pretty sure that's (L to R) Paul Simonon and Joe Strummer of The Clash...

Here they are a bit later:

acd4e50a5046ee3549c94fba51766a8f.jpg

Those look very much like American jacket in this one, rather than the Lewis Leathers they are wearing in the shot you posted.

Joe in the Lewis & cap here:

2f909a6b1570df5c406faea78819c2e5.jpg

The London punk rock scene really favoured Lewis (Mascot, Goldtop or one of the other English brands if you couldn't afford a Lewis). Joe and the boys wore Lightnings, Sid Vicious had a second hand Dominator (which started life as a genuine Rocker's jacket), and Steve Jones wore several Lewises at one time and another. It's one thing that went back over the Atlantic with the Ramones when they played in the UK in the late 70s; Joey and Marky both wore Lewises for some years thereafter (Schott was also popular with the band, though a number of Joey's later jackets were also Vanson).

Simonon seem to have often wore what looks like an American made cross zip and was keeping a steady collection of 'em at all times. He's got some really neat vintage USA jackets. Even painted a few.

Paul slayed. His outfits were often so freaking concept it's taken top designers decades to emulate the look to some extent. All the edgiest stuff they're selling today, Simonon wore it in the seventies.

The only band that mattered in more ways than just one.

vqgwfm2hg9571.jpg

4eca633a3c8ddb9046822675487f658c7b5f926b.jpg

9e163f5398c5903078773ccd3e63f371.jpg

bassist-paul-simonon-of-british-punk-group-the-clash-backstage-at-a-picture-id479600833

Highway patrol, 1955.
Such a classic looking jacket.

Perfect fitting jacket!!!

Edward

Bartender
Simonon seem to have often wore what looks like an American made cross zip and was keeping a steady collection of 'em at all times. He's got some really neat vintage USA jackets. Even painted a few.

Paul slayed. His outfits were often so freaking concept it's taken top designers decades to emulate the look to some extent. All the edgiest stuff they're selling today, Simonon wore it in the seventies.

The only band that mattered in more ways than just one.

vqgwfm2hg9571.jpg

4eca633a3c8ddb9046822675487f658c7b5f926b.jpg

9e163f5398c5903078773ccd3e63f371.jpg

bassist-paul-simonon-of-british-punk-group-the-clash-backstage-at-a-picture-id479600833

Perfect fitting jacket!!!

Paul was the art-school boy who really advanced their looks (Joe had a strong appreciation of the aesthetic himself, of course: he always knew the *right* haircut!). Paul grew up around motorcycles, and really knew his stuff; Bernie Rhodes was also very well steeped in just about every youth cult there ever was, and played a part in nudging them towards the Sixties Rocker stuff; in large part, the Clash look was always a hybrid of Brit rocker and Americana. For all they may have been "so bored with the USA", there was a genuine love of American rock and roll and its iconography and pop culture too. The Pistols were overtly (Steve Jones had a real love of old rockabilly himself) about tearing down and starting over. The Clash may have acknowledge this with "no Beatles, Elvis or the Rolling Stones in 1977", but in truth they were very much more in the mould of reclaiming rock and roll from the proggers, taking it back to what it was, should be, could be again. Their look was no mere fashion, it was a statement of intent. "Like trousers, like brain."

Which of course you well know, but I can't help but shoot my mouth off about these guys. I'd have willingly followed Joe Strummer into battle...

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Paul was the art-school boy who really advanced their looks (Joe had a strong appreciation of the aesthetic himself, of course: he always knew the *right* haircut!). Paul grew up around motorcycles, and really knew his stuff; Bernie Rhodes was also very well steeped in just about every youth cult there ever was, and played a part in nudging them towards the Sixties Rocker stuff; in large part, the Clash look was always a hybrid of Brit rocker and Americana. For all they may have been "so bored with the USA", there was a genuine love of American rock and roll and its iconography and pop culture too. The Pistols were overtly (Steve Jones had a real love of old rockabilly himself) about tearing down and starting over. The Clash may have acknowledge this with "no Beatles, Elvis or the Rolling Stones in 1977", but in truth they were very much more in the mould of reclaiming rock and roll from the proggers, taking it back to what it was, should be, could be again. Their look was no mere fashion, it was a statement of intent. "Like trousers, like brain."

Which of course you well know, but I can't help but shoot my mouth off about these guys. I'd have willingly followed Joe Strummer into battle...
I was too young to see the Clash live but a great regret is not getting off the couch to go see The Mescalaros thinking “I’ll just see them next time around.”

Edward

Bartender
C & W group Midland fancy chain stitch suits courtesy of Fort Lonesome

View attachment 367333
they like the flashy look of the country stars of the 50s also

The more I see of the flash country stuff of that period, the more logical (and less outlandish) Liberace's camped-up version - which in turn was a direct influence on Elvis' jumpsuit period (he actually worked with Liberace's people) - seems as an evolutionary offshoot.

I was too young to see the Clash live but a great regret is not getting off the couch to go see The Mescalaros thinking “I’ll just see them next time around.”

I missed the Clash myself: my Punk Rock Awakening was the Summer of 1990... I did get to see Joe with the Mescaleroes in 99,00 and 01 - only wish I'd gotten to know in advance about the LFBU benefit gig not long before he died... Joe played a fair few Clash numbers as the mood took him at those shows. I remember the call and response on Safe European Home being something else in Brixton in 01. He closed his set there that night with Blitzkrieg Bop, his tribute to Joey Ramone who had died a few short months previously. In 2005, almost four years to the day of that last Mescaleroes show for me, I saw Bob Dylan, in the same venue, open his encore with a cover of London Calling. There was a time Dylan specifically requested ex-Pistol Steve Jones to work with him, so maybe ol' Bob's a closet punk... I always considered him one, in attitudinal terms.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I missed the Clash myself: my Punk Rock Awakening was the Summer of 1990... I did get to see Joe with the Mescaleroes in 99,00 and 01 - only wish I'd gotten to know in advance about the LFBU benefit gig not long before he died... Joe played a fair few Clash numbers as the mood took him at those shows. I remember the call and response on Safe European Home being something else in Brixton in 01. He closed his set there that night with Blitzkrieg Bop, his tribute to Joey Ramone who had died a few short months previously.

1985: 14 year old me was grabbing stacks of pirate cassettes while on a family holiday in Bali. I think I picked many based on the album cover alone. Somehow, Combat Rock and London Calling went home with me and changed my life when I dropped them into my little walkman while pretending to do homework.

I saw Bob Dylan, in the same venue, open his encore with a cover of London Calling. There was a time Dylan specifically requested ex-Pistol Steve Jones to work with him, so maybe ol' Bob's a closet punk... I always considered him one, in attitudinal terms.

I think Dylan once said he was a big Johnny Thunders fan. Probably not a Chumbawamba fan though ;)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up

I know he owns everything he wears, not sure where he gets it all but some of it is gifted by friends...ect.
that guy look like a bad guy for the next Farcry game :D

Edward

Bartender
I think Dylan once said he was a big Johnny Thunders fan. Probably not a Chumbawamba fan though ;)

Urgh, is anyone? ;)

I note in the first couple of @Monitor's photos Paul and Joe are both wearing not only engineer boots, but in the American style (under, not over, trews - which must therefore have been slightly looser at this point; back in my punk drainpipe days, I could only wear engineers up over my jeans, they were too tight for anything else!). As memory serves, the boys bought their first engineer boots when they first toured in the US. They were thereafter fashionable for a bit on the London punk scene, where they were known as 'Clash Boots' - I think Dan also mentioned this in another thread where they cropped up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk