Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Celluloid Decay on a Dresser Set-

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
On Sunday I was cleaning, and I noticed that some of my compacts and the scissors to my dresser set were corroding in a glass refrigerator dish I keep on my nightstand. I assumed at the time that it was a moisture problem, cleaned it up, and blamed my stupidity for putting something away wet (I am normally more careful). During a conversation with my mother, she said that she had a dresser set that “turned to dust.” I went and examined my set, and it turns out that some of the smaller pieces had started to decay. You can see the damage below.

11wc17d.jpg

Six months ago I noticed what I thought was a crack on the mirror handle (due to something hitting it possibly)- and now the handle is completely broken- and this piece was not in an enclosed space or touching the other pieces that decayed. As celluloid decays, it gives off fumes and turns to nitric acid, these fumes lead other celluloid pieces to decay. I put these damaged pieces together in a bag when I found the damage just on Monday, and now most of the file handle is gone (it was intact but starting to crystalize on Monday). That is how fast this happens :(

I did some research on this, and found this website: http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/celluloid_02.html. This is what I learned from this website:
-Pieces that are light in color fall prey to this more often
-Once a piece goes nothing can stop it (the first signs are hairline cracks, which look like damage; pieces with metal may show small amounts of rust)
-A deteriorating piece will smell like camphor
-Having a deteriorated piece leads to further decay of other pieces; damaged pieces should be removed from your collection; remaining pieces should be cleaned thoroughly (fumes) and inspected often
-Keeping these pieces in a tightly enclosed space can lead to decay
-Pieces should be stored in a dark, controlled temperature and humidity space, separate from other pieces
-Do not store pieces in fabric, non-acidic tissue paper is best

If you think you have any items made from celluloid in your collections, please examine them. I don’t want anyone else to have the kind of heartbreak I felt when I found my things. I didn’t know this could happen- maybe it is common knowledge- but for people like me who only have one or two pieces, I hadn’t read up on celluloid. The only thing I knew about celluloid is that it was flammable and they used to make film out it it. I didn't even know this set was celluloid, it was a gift, so all I knew was it was pretty.

256db91.jpg

I’m not sure what to do with the rest of the undamaged set- half of it wants to pack it away to protect it, but I enjoyed seeing it out on my dresser.

Foofoogal

Banned
What a lovely set. Celluloid was one of hundreds of early plastics. These plastics were not all stable as it was a huge learning process in making them.

Some early plastics and vinyls will even weep like with some dolls like Magic Skin.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/154773-repairing-a-crack-plastic-pen/

I found this tidbit in relation to pens. Possibly there is a restorer that could fix or stablize your set? I know early filmstrips will disintegrate and why they are racing to save many.
Thanks for posting your set and I am sorry.

rue

I'm so sorry about your set. I had the exact same thing happen to me and it broke my heart too. Like you, I thought it was something I did to it. Thank you for sharing this information so that I can save the last two pieces left.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks everyone for your sympathy.

When I spoke to my mother the largest part of the search was trying to figure out what the set was made of. :eek: You can tell if a piece is celluloid if you rub it very fast- heat friction- it smells like camphor.

I hate to loose anything that is old, but my best strategy at this point is to get rid of the damaged pieces and enjoy the rest. Restoration might be possible, but the pieces that are damaged are just very toxic. When I got the pieces out of the bag that are damaged to photograph them, the smell and the burn of the acid on my hands was pretty strong, and that doesn't hit me as safe to keep around. I washed my hands several times but they continued to burn for a few hours (it was that strong). I'm not sure if it is worth it to try to pre-restore the rest of the set- what I have been reading online is really mixed.

This has been a rough week for me as far as my stuff though, I found (small) holes in two of my favorite skirts (repairable, but I know any hole is a sign that the fabric is wearing out- the end is nigh). I get really attached to my stuff for no particular reason, so I get sad for awhile. :( But in the end I try to remind myself that it is just stuff, and if it hadn't been for me it probably would have not had a "second life" and could have ended up being thrown out or stuck in a closet, unloved and forgotten.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
One of my boyhood knives has a celluloid handle. I noticed that since I first bought it the black handle has developed little reddish spots. One thing I've heard is, if you do have a piece of celluloid that is decaying, keep it away from celluloid in good shape. The off-gassing can cause perfectly good celluloid to decay that otherwise would not have done so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW