Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chance meetings

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
While walking through NYC I noticed a few people wearing hats, the gentlemen I noticed were mainly wearing nicer hats, that I recognized as good quality. I wondered if any of them were lounge members.

Have you ever thought the same? Seen a man with a nice hat or women dressed vintage and wanted to inquire if they were member?

ortega76

Practically Family
All the time! Especially since I'm back in Chicago and I know there are a fair share of members in the City of Big Shoulders. I wish we had a pin or secret handshake or something.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I was at a vintage shop in Williamsburg, Brooklyn last week with my friend and in the old vintage section there was a well dressed gentleman browsing. I definitely thought he could have been from the Lounge! I was just dressed in a purple coat, nothing fancy, my hair straight, etc, so if he was from the Lounge he probably didn't think I was!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I know there are members around here, but I rarely see any other vintage style hats. An occasional older gent in a fedora-like hat, maybe. But that's it.

The only time I was left wondering was last year during the holidays. I saw a young man, couldn't have been over 19, in a store shopping. He was dressed in a way I simply don't see such young men dress normally. It clearly wasn't vintage, but the outfit looked inspired by a vintage casual look. That's the only time.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Caity Lynn said:
While walking through NYC I noticed a few people wearing hats, the gentlemen I noticed were mainly wearing nicer hats, that I recognized as good quality. I wondered if any of them were lounge members.

Have you ever thought the same? Seen a man with a nice hat or women dressed vintage and wanted to inquire if they were member?

Actually, this happened quite recently. A friend gave us tickets to a holiday show she was doing, and rather than hassle with traffic and parking downtown, I opted to drive down the hill to the Renton transit center and hop a bus to downtown Seattle to meet the other half. Being a novice to riding the bus, I sat close to the front so the driver could say "Here's your stop!"

Seattle has an amazing network of bus tunnels underground. At the stop near Starbucks world headquaters, and the last stop before heading into the tunnels, a fellow hopped on with a spiffy fedora. "Is that someone from Fedora Lounge? Or is it someone I've met at some theatre event? Or someone who took a class from me way back when?"

About the time we hit the second stop underground, it finally dawned on me. "Wait! It is a Lounger!" We both happened to get off at the same top (3 stories under the Nordstrom headquarters) but before I could catch up to him, he'd jumped on another bus, and I needed to head out of this unfamiliar subterranean maze and head upward to begin my seven block trek to the theatre.

But I did shoot a private message when we got home that evening, and yes indeed, it was Mahoganny Bill. And as he mentioned in responding back "One more stop and you'd have been at Byrnie Utz!"

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Only once have I run into someone whose Lounge-membership I questioned. This was at Bobby From Boston's warehouse one day while I was up there working and he came in to dig around for stuff. His appearance was quite dapper.

I have run into Loungers randomly who I had previously met. I ran into Ricki one day walking down the street near my office, and I also ran into Vonwotan one day on the train. He might not have recognized me, as I was looking rather scruffy, but he looked sharp in his suit and vest, bowtie and hat!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I wish I could just randomly bump into loungers...maybe on vacation. lol theres DEFINITELY none where I live.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Although there are several Lounge members in the my area, I have yet to run into anyone; I do, however, wear my FL pin frequently in hopes of being identified.

ortega76

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
There is a pin. Check the store. In fact, look at the top of this page.

Wow. Show's what I don't know. I think I need to order one when I get home. I was thinking of the Fedora Lounge tie from Magnoli but maybe that's too subtle.

Now, about that secret handshake. . .

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ortega76 said:
Now, about that secret handshake. . .

Perhaps a special style of hatband... because I'm pretty sure that for most of us, the first thing we'd notice is that the bloke was sporting a lid.

ortega76

Practically Family
Speaking of Fedora Lounge merchandise, how long until we have FL Zippos? The matches are cool, but Zippos or a cigar style torch lighter would make me VERY happy. Hmm, maybe I could cobble something together with a sticker or something.

As for lacing of the shoes, I have trouble with straight lacing- I'd never be able to replicate something complicated. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner