Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing the Lining

Adam_H

New in Town
Greetings, Lounge hounds.

I've been lurking for a while, posted a few times, and now I have a question for the knowledgeable.

Like most of you, I have several hats (can one ever have too many?), but I have my favorite.

It's a nice big fur felt fedora (the common coffee-brown "Indy"), lined with satin with a protective plastic panel in the top, which I find a bit over-protective in the warmer weather. I often find I can be comfortable elsewhere, but the top of my head is soaked.

I know, I know, summer is why God made Panama hats. And there are those adventure-minded cotton hats with grommetted breathing holes and screen-paneled vents... But, as mentioned above, this baby's my favorite.

I have removed the lining altogether, like many of you doubtless have, for the summer months, which breathes much better. I then tack-stich the lining back in autumn, but even in summer I still like the integrity of a lining.

Instead of all satin, without the clear plastic panel, does any one have any experience with different fabrics?

Is there some mesh fabric that would breath fairly well while still protecting the inside of the felt?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
I was wondering if any of the invented fabrics made for camping and outdoor clothing might be an exceptional update to the standard liner.[huh]

I'm with you... something sythetic that both 'breathes' for comfort but also allows moisture to pass thru...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80