Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago area vintage sources

ilcatex

New in Town
I searched and came up empty...

Anyone have any good leads on Chicago-area vintage clothiers, resale shops, etc.? Thanks in advance!

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Honestly, Chicago proper is dreadfully over shopped/over priced. I almost never bought anything within city limits. Usually the outlying suburbs had some good finds -- especially the older river towns like Elgin, St. Charles, and Geneva. And way out in Galena. Lake County too. Or head over into Indiana, in Indianapolis. Also, you aren't that far from where I always did my best shopping: St. Louis.

Good luck!

And hit up the Green Mill for me!
Man, I miss that place.

For menswear you want to hit Night and Day Vintage, 2228 W. Belmont Ave. A little bit of a hike, but worth it, and not too far from the brown line. The ties are overpriced but everything else is very reasonable. Last time i was there i got a 30s shirt for $15 and a NRA (National Recovery Act, 1933-36) overcoat for $40. I was sorely tempted to buy several hats but didn't have the resources.

There was another vintage store just down the road from Night & Day but it was closing the last time i was there (January).

So, other than Night and Day - in which i can almost guarantee you to find some great 30s/40s vintage - you'll be looking at thrifts.

bk

ilcatex

New in Town
Thanks

Beau - BK...

Thanks. I am close to the river, so I will check out Geneva et al. And BK, I will be heading to Night and Day this week!:eusa_clap

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
beaucaillou said:
Honestly, Chicago proper is dreadfully over shopped/over priced.
Cheap it ain't but the goods are there. If you lived next to the Brown Elephant you'd make out like a bandit, otherwise you'll have to pay up. [huh]

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
Cheap it ain't but the goods are there. If you lived next to the Brown Elephant you'd make out like a bandit, otherwise you'll have to pay up. [huh]

Oh yes, the goods are there, but about three-four times what you would normally pay anywhere else, at least for women's. Which is odd too, because the vintage scene there isn't really that deep or well organized... must just be a lot of Lincoln Park Trixies wanting to shop off North Avenue now and again.

For women, the Brown Elephant almost never paid off. I did have some *really* good luck at the Family Thrift on Milwaukee however. They have brilliant men's selection too. It's extremely clean and well organized. I got my 50's Pendleton Autumn-plaid overcoat there for 4$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy