Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese Dress

maisie

Practically Family
I have seen a couple of chinese dress on ebay that are advertised as being from the 40's. So I was wondering, as they are so pretty :rolleyes:, whether anyone knows if they were worn in the 40's or not?[huh] Or whether they were a later fashion item? i just think they would go great with a pair of high platforms!!!:)

Thanks! :D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Without looking at the dress I can't say for sure, but the other day I was looking through an old Sears catalog and there were a few chinese 'inspired' dresses. Personally, I think the look is adorable....so..get those platforms and be stylin' . :D

decodoll

Practically Family
I have one that my uncle brought back from Hong Kong for my mother in the mid-1960's. I'm sure they existed in the 40's and 50's. I'm just not sure when they became popular as anything more than traditional chinese costume.

Rosie

One Too Many
I agree with the ladies

Looking at sewing patterns, I think it was a more '50s thing. I bought one from e bay about 4 years ago and I LOVE it. I always get complments when I wear it.

swankysister

New in Town
Apparently, there was a strong art deco/oriental influence (that I'm just starting to investigate) which included the incorporation of cheong-sam-style dress into those times. (It seems to be a little like the Egyptian influence on 1920-1940 dress in correspondence with excavations of certain pyramids).

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Qi Pao, etc.

Hi Ladies,

Sorry to have "peeked" - this topic turned up in my search of recent posts and I couldn't help but click on the link.

I'm pretty sure that you are talking about a Chinese dress called a Qi Pao. The style originated in "swingin'" Shanghai just after the fall of the Qing dynasty in 1919. While there are many styles of Qi Pao, they are all designed to be form fitting yet loose enough to do some dancing. Hey, it was called swingin' Shanghai for a reason!

Examples of this style of dress are best preserved in cigarette advertisements of the time:

http://www.onlineoriental.com/Merch...e_Code=1&Product_Code=ga370&Category_Code=pos

In the mainland, the style died out when the communists took over. It was seen as too bourgeoise. In Taiwan and Hong Kong, it is still worn on fancy occasions like weddings or fancy balls. "Shanghai-trained" Tailors in Hong Kong still make them to order.

Oh, and Kirsten Dunst wears one in the movie Spiderman.

Fu Manchu

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Excuse me too Ladies...

... but my Wife wears these styles... she's an Exotic Beauty and prefers exotic dress. She's all about silk, sarees and salwars.

This type of dress is also known as the Cheongsam, I believe- very popular up until the Chinese Revolution of '49.

You can readily find them new- from cheap to big bucks.
Chinatown and Asian Boutique fare...

They can be cap-sleeve, no sleeve, halter neck, etc. and the details, fabrics and embroidery are absolutely endless.
Great for that Vintage Exotic and Hula look, flowers in the hair and all.

I love 'em.

http://www.eaststore.com/catalog/category_2_Women_Dresses.html
http://www.orienttouch.com/index.php?cPath=23_25&sort=4a
http://asianideas.com/qipao.html
http://www.chinavista.com/experience/qipao/qipao.html

Happy shopping- and please excuse my gate-crashing.

B
T

Kathleen Klein

New in Town
chinese pajama

Pajamas in the chinese style are great too.
Made in very soft cotton. They are so comfy
and you can sleep or lounge in them.
Mostly they are made for children.
Has anyone found them for adults?
Chinatown shops always have great finds.
Little slippers and such.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I LOVE the look of silk chinese dresses...I've been kicking myself in the rear for not buying this one dress, now, it's impossible finding a cute cinese dress:(

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
You can find new qi bao/cheongsam/"mandarin dresses" in any Chinatown for like $40. I find that qi bao that fit well are *extremely* flattering on curvy figures. Hard to find them to fit like that, though. Off the rack they are typically very roomy in the waist if they fit around the bust & hips. Someday I'll have one made at Shanghai Tang... they're excessively beautiful, but they start around 1000.
You can get them *very* cheaply in China if you know someone who is going. My fiance had one made for me in Shanghai when he was there on a dig this summer.
I'm totally obsessed with Chinese ads from the mid-20s to 30s...Also with Chinese costume dramas. (Gong Li is in like all of them, and she is probably the most beautiful woman in the world.)

Now I very badly want to dress like the Dragon Lady from Terry and the Pirates!

BV

magneto

Practically Family
To sort of touch back on the original post, I would not be surprised if the influence of "Chinoiserie" started seeping in Western women's fashions in the 1930s; there was a great deal of popular awareness of China at the time. The huge popularity of "The Good Earth"; in the US there was a lot of popular sympathy for China (as it was being invaded by the "evil" Japanese); and the drives for "China relief" and such, and cultural awareness arguably manifests itself most visibly through clothes. I am sure I have seen 30s Chinese-style lounging pajamas, Mandarin collars on blouses, etc. Whether that means it was still fashionable in the 40s, I don't know. (Well, Madame Chiang Kai-Shek was held up as a fashion icon when she and her husband were visiting the US...) Perhaps someone else knows more than me.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I read a book one time about a girl whose great grandma was a young lady in the 1920's and wore this Chinese style of dress during that time and then passed the dress on down the generations and the main character in the story ended up with the dress but the book was fiction. There seemed to be some previous posts where others offer more reliable advice but what the book said seems to confirm the general era.

:eek:fftopic:
Plus I have a very funny story to share about this style of dress...I have always called them Suzy Wong dresses and I do not know how I came up with that but I think I heard it called that before. I have wanted one for like... ever and I was shopping at Buffalo Exchange (a chain of vintage & retro stores here in Oregon and other places in the US) several years ago and I found one of these dresses and I tried it on and I absolutly could not get the thing off!!!! It was so tight it was stuck on my body....keep in mind that I am not a big gal by any means (5 foot 2 and 106 lbs then and now) I had to leave the dressing room with the dress on and get a sales girl and we went back to the dressing room and she had to grab a pair of sissors and literally cut it off of me! She knew I was quite mortified because I could not ever beleive some one would ever have to cut clothing off of my body!!! She did not even make me pay for the dress because I think she figured I had been through enough humiliation for one day.

I did eventually end up buying one a few years later that does actually fit (that I found in China town in Portland Oregon and I love it!) and I do have a pair of the chinese pajamas too that I bought at a store in Portland called Naked City. Several years ago I found a fabulous chinese silk jacket that is vintage at a yard sale for .50 cents and it is in surprisingly great shape for the price and where I found it and also for the age of the garment. I have a lot of chinese inspired pieces... it was almost like after that goofy incident it almost became like a trademark of sorts for me.

Brooksie

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Brooksie said:
I read a book one time about a girl whose great grandma was a young lady in the 1920's and wore this Chinese style of dress during that time and then passed the dress on down the generations and the main character in the story ended up with the dress but the book was fiction. There seemed to be some previous posts where others offer more reliable advice but what the book said seems to confirm the general era.

:eek:fftopic:
Plus I have a very funny story to share about this style of dress...I have always called them Suzy Wong dresses and I do not know how I came up with that but I think I heard it called that before. I have wanted one for like... ever and I was shopping at Buffalo Exchange (a chain of vintage & retro stores here in Oregon and other places in the US) several years ago and I found one of these dresses and I tried it on and I absolutly could not get the thing off!!!! It was so tight it was stuck on my body....keep in mind that I am not a big gal by any means (5 foot 2 and 106 lbs then and now) I had to leave the dressing room with the dress on and get a sales girl and we went back to the dressing room and she had to grab a pair of sissors and literally cut it off of me! She knew I was quite mortified because I could not ever beleive some one would ever have to cut clothing off of my body!!! She did not even make me pay for the dress because I think she figured I had been through enough humiliation for one day.

I did eventually end up buying one a few years later that does actually fit (that I found in China town in Portland Oregon and I love it!) and I do have a pair of the chinese pajamas too that I bought at a store in Portland called Naked City. Several years ago I found a fabulous chinese silk jacket that is vintage at a yard sale for .50 cents and it is in surprisingly great shape for the price and where I found it and also for the age of the garment. I have a lot of chinese inspired pieces... it was almost like after that goofy incident it almost became like a trademark of sorts for me.

Brooksie

You must have heard them called Suzie Wong from the William Holden movie, The World of Suzie Wong.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
maisie said:
I have seen a couple of chinese dress on ebay that are advertised as being from the 40's. So I was wondering, as they are so pretty :rolleyes:, whether anyone knows if they were worn in the 40's or not?[huh] Or whether they were a later fashion item? i just think they would go great with a pair of high platforms!!!:)

Thanks! :D

Be careful if you buy it on Ebay from companies in China, the sizes run VERY small. My preteen daughter ordered one in an extra large, since she wears about a 12 to 14 in misses sizes. When it arrived it was so small it fit my 8 year old, and she is not a big girl.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
DancingSweetie said:
Be careful if you buy it on Ebay from companies in China, the sizes run VERY small. My preteen daughter ordered one in an extra large, since she wears about a 12 to 14 in misses sizes. When it arrived it was so small it fit my 8 year old, and she is not a big girl.
You have to keep in mind Asian women are petite compared to American women, so their sizes would probably be locally oriented, rather than with Ameircan stature in mind, even if they say for Americans. I am tall for a Japanese female, 5'5", BMI 22, and wear size 11 or L in Japanese sizes, but when I look for clothes in American stores I fit into size 4 or 6, and depending on the cut, even S turns out a bit loose on me.
It would be best to confirm the actual measurements before ordering, both in the three sizes, and in length as well.

Katydid

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24