Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing the Correct Hat for your Body Type

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Hey I completely agree and I truly appreciate your input, sometimes I forget that some people whether they are family or not, don't always have the best advice to give. I appreciate you! :)
Most of us here will always say it the way it is...and hope to not offend anyone when doing so....welcome to the Lounge by the way....Gals hats can be just the same as what our Guys would wear...it is just up to you as to what you find yourself looking attractive wearing. Toss a hat on...if you like it most likely everyone else will love it on you as well...and of course NEVER allow family members that do not wear hats give you any advice...they will have you going bonkers! LOL!

HatLoverGirl

New in Town
Most of us here will always say it the way it is...and hope to not offend anyone when doing so....welcome to the Lounge by the way....Gals hats can be just the same as what our Guys would wear...it is just up to you as to what you find yourself looking attractive wearing. Toss a hat on...if you like it most likely everyone else will love it on you as well...and of course NEVER allow family members that do not wear hats give you any advice...they will have you going bonkers! LOL!
No offense taken at all... I love honesty, that is my middle name! LOL Tell me about it and don't even get me started on all the family drama that comes along with voicing their opinions on every little detail about your life! I have gotten so many great answers so far... I really enjoyed the thread that was shared above with all the information on hats and how to pair them up with certain body types, skin tones, etc etc... I bookmarked it for future reference! :)

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
No offense taken at all... I love honesty, that is my middle name! LOL Tell me about it and don't even get me started on all the family drama that comes along with voicing their opinions on every little detail about your life! I have gotten so many great answers so far... I really enjoyed the thread that was shared above with all the information on hats and how to pair them up with certain body types, skin tones, etc etc... I bookmarked it for future reference! :)
Just to let you know..some times a few of the "Gals" on the Lounge think the "Guys" are too ruff or something like that...but I have to tell you the "Guys" here are some of the best people you will ever know. For the most part, it seems that everyone really is "Family" here and have a lot in common and fun when ever we can!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I am considering a floppy hat, I think it would suit me and it's perfect for the sunshine state <3
Well there's floppy hats, and there's floppy hats. Now if your name is Brigitte Bardot, and in your day you were not only an A list celebrity, but also the fantasy of most red-blooded schoolboys, you could wear a tent of a floppy hat, and still look cool.
BB.jpg

Well there's floppy hats, and there's floppy hats. Now if your name is Brigitte Bardot, and in your day you were not only an A list celebrity, but also the fantasy of most red-blooded schoolboys, you could wear a tent of a floppy hat, and still look cool.
View attachment 116342
I'd be willing to bet that the moment that photo was taken was one of the few times she, or anyone, could wear that hat and see anything other than the underside of the brim covering her/their face. :confused:

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Yes, I agree, but it was custom made by Gus Miller in Cincinnati and cost $250. You can get a nicely made Akubra Stylemaster or Bogart for about $91.00. Check out this thread to see the Stylemaster in "Moonstone Grey," a lighter shade of grey like the Gus Miller fedora. The Stylemaster has a 2.5" bound edge brim and the crown is 4.75" - it comes in a variety of colors but not all are available at the same time: black, acorn fawn, medium brown, two shades of grey - carbon and moonstone, and bluegrass green and navy.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=21444&highlight=Akubra+Stylemaster
Or this thread to see my Akubra Bogart in black (it also comes in carbone grey - a dark grey):
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=26824&page=3&highlight=Bogart
The Bogart by Akubra:
The Bogart is a modern classic 40's style fedora - made famous by its namesake, Humphrey Bogart.
Pure fur felt
The snap brim is 64mm or about 2 1/2 inches wide with a bound edge.
The hat band is a top quality gros-grain ribbon.
The crown is 100mm-4” high.
Colors are Black or Grey
Classic fedora style

I don't think he

f43fbecd59639292145a1362ae7d7787.jpg

ever wore a hat like that

757f1676b9bdeae1235d514f99858d75.jpg

View attachment 116342

Brigitte Bardot did not age gracefully (nor am I so far), but back in her day...wowsers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HatLoverGirl

New in Town
I found a a couple of floppy hats and I saw a wide brim fedora I fell in love with. The hat on my avatar is one of the floppy hats I got, still on a search for a black wide...reaaaallyyy wide fedora made of straw or some sort of breathable material for FL, the one wide brim fedora I found is made of wool and I don't think it's a good idea to wear it for the summer. I don't want to die of heat!

I found a a couple of floppy hats and I saw a wide brim fedora I fell in love with. The hat on my avatar is one of the floppy hats I got, still on a search for a black wide...reaaaallyyy wide fedora made of straw or some sort of breathable material for FL, the one wide brim fedora I found is made of wool and I don't think it's a good idea to wear it for the summer. I don't want to die of heat!
Wool and fur felt hats will definitely be hotter and generally less comfortable than straw hats during summer months. If you're interested in something that offers actual sun protection rather than just a bit of shade, you might consider a Sunbody hat. They aren't as "fashionable" as the hats on Fashionable Hats and they're at least a little more expensive, but they provide better protection and are more durable than most straw hats. They're also a bit warmer than most straw hats, but that's the trade-off.

I haven't ordered from Fashionable Hats, but I have ordered from their sister site Fashionable Canes and received excellent service each time. If you decide to go that route I don't think you'll be disappointed unless there's a problem with the hat itself.

MondoFW

Practically Family
I love the Gentleman's Gazette. It's my Bible for all things sartorial, and Sven is great at presenting.

I'm slim and have a chiseled face, and unfortunately cannot pull off a wide-brim, tall-crown hat that you'd see Bogart sporting in his greatest pictures. I find the Homburg suits me more. As for the video, the only thing I disagree with is that black fedora with the contrasting light brim, it's very unsightly and costume-y.

I have no doubt that there are hat types and hat sizes that look better or worse on each of us. However, I don’t agree with letting an algorithm dress you. I think I look good in stingy brims and in wide brims. I like modest crowns and tall crowns. I wear fedoras, westerns, and homburgs. Now I own, and have owned, some hats that I really liked but think they look terrible on me. Not everything works, but I don’t think it is easy to quantify the “why.” Then there are folks like Alan (alanfgag) who looks great in just about anything. There’s also so much individuality built in: my wife thinks anything over a two inch brim looks silly, but my favorite fedora brim width is 2 5/8 to 2 3/4.

Just my personal observations.

Brent

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
To each his own, and in fairness nobody should turn to me for sartorial advice; but, when @moontheloon said he wanted to start a YouTube channel i made the remark that he's far better suited for the task than the folks I've seen. I was primarily thinking of this dude.

Just my personal hypothesis: such rules are much less relevant if you choose to wear anything other than a suit. My average outfit just doesn't cast the same silhouette as a suit, so I don't know why I would want to base my headwear choice on rules that are intended to "balance" a look I'm not trying to achieve in the first place.

Now obviously, I don't mean to throw the baby out with the bath water. Some hats don't look right on all faces or outfits. But for example, dude says short guys (I'm a hair over 5'6") should go for a stingy brim, 2" or less. This strikes me as so silly, particularly because in the past few years, I've come to my own conclusion that if I had my Optimo Dillinger (which is 2") to re-order again, I'd have added 1/8" or 1 /4" back to brim, screen accurate or no.

And then on top of that, western hats aren't really accounted for by the classic rules, and indeed would be verboten for me if I adhered to them strenuously.

Last edited:
To each his own,
I agree with Jared, in general "rules" are made to be broken. But over time we all migrate to styles we like best on ourselves & others. Facets of those styles become our own rules. As individuals our rules may not be important or viewed in the same way to others. As an example I think stingy brims look out of kilter on a man with wide, broad shoulders. But maybe he's a body builder & likes the look because he's trying to accentuate his upper torso. Therefore his rules would be different than mine. The opposite would be someone with small sloping rounded shoulders wearing a wide brim. Just one of my rules.

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Uhhh, no. I'm tall, and most of the time-except for an occasional expansive period--rather lanky. I cannot stand short crowns on me. Looks like a worn down eraser on a pencil. He says if you're tall, don't wear a tall crown, makes you look taller. What the Heck is wrong with that!! I I want to go short crown, I go all the way and plop on one of my favorite caps.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
To each his own, and in fairness nobody should turn to me for sartorial advice; but, when @moontheloon said he wanted to start a YouTube channel i made the remark that he's far better suited for the task than the folks I've seen. I was primarily thinking of this dude.

Just my personal hypothesis: such rules are much less relevant if you choose to wear anything other than a suit. My average outfit just doesn't cast the same silhouette as a suit, so I don't know why I would want to base my headwear choice on rules that are intended to "balance" a look I'm not trying to achieve in the first place.

Now obviously, I don't mean to throw the baby out with the bath water. Some hats don't look right on all faces or outfits. But for example, dude says short guys (I'm a hair over 5'6") should go for a stingy brim, 2" or less. This strikes me as so silly, particularly because in the past few years, I've come to my own conclusion that if I had my Optimo Dillinger to re-order again, I'd have added 1/8" or 1 /4" back to brim, screen accurate or no.

And then on top of that, western hats aren't really accounted for by the classic rules, and indeed would be verboten for me if I adhered to them strenuously.

I agree with Jared, in general "rules" are made to be broken. But over time we all migrate to styles we like best on ourselves & others. Facets of those styles become our own rules. As individuals our rules may not be important or viewed in the same way to others. As an example I think stingy brims look out of kilter on a man with wide, broad shoulders. But maybe he's a body builder & likes the look because he's trying to accentuate his upper torso. Therefore his rules would be different than mine. The opposite would be someone with small sloping rounded shoulders wearing a wide brim. Just one of my rules.

I agree with y'all . I hope someone will Post the Habadashers' Guide to Hats and Suits Vic Posted , that was the Best Guide I've read , but to each rule there are exceptions .

suitedcboy

One Too Many
The hat that looks best on you is the one you think looks best on you. If it complies with someone else's rules and you are ashamed to wear it and it stays on the shelf then why bother? This place is chock full of rules breakers according to the Gazette guy. JLee, SBG, Moontheloon, etc., etc. wouldn't be in compliance and I applaud pretty much any choice they make. Of course, if you are wearing a nice hat I probably wouldn't know what else you are wearing, your skin color, age, or if you are barefoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points