Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christina Aguilera's video to Candyman! Wow.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The video - $1.99

Now on iTunes. :)

candyman1.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Oh I absolutely LOVE it! :eusa_clap Thank you so much for posting this!
I want the cd for my birthday and I'm going to go crazy waiting!
I think the video was fabulous...
I would encourage those who enjoy period music and images to enjoy what's there, not worry about deviations from the 40's. It's not the 40's anymore, and entertainment doesn't sell the same way.
That pretty much says it all for me! She did a great job of merging the two eras, and hopefully this will get some of the younger generations into the past. All it usually takes is a movie or something like this to help get kids interested in history.

Her voice is awesome and I think she has a lot of guts to go with more vintagey stuff that some would think she was crazy to do.

I will agree she'd look better with about 15 more pounds on her bones, hehe...

And as for the lyrics, I don't think they're that nasty compared to some of what's out there. Plus, Hollywood has always been pushing the buttons there, just look at GWTW when Rhett said damn! Oh, scandelous!:eek:

I simply must get the video too!

Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok, this may seem like a very stupid question... but we don't have cable or watch TV in my house. SO.. is it possible to buy a music video on vhs or dvd? I don't know anything about ipods and such. I want this video bad.. on the big tv, not pc screen, lol!
Thanks!
Nikki

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Nikki, no, they don't sell music videos on vhs or dvd... I guess your best bet is iTunes.

I first heard the song because my little sister is doing a dance to it in her dance class-- thankfully I think its an edited version! But I really liked the video... they have MTVU on in our cafeteria constantly, so I've seen my share of horrible music videos, and this was so refreshing!

I always liked her more than the other pop-tarts-- she actually has a voice! l love that Christina is now in a "classic" phase with her look and music styles, and I like most of her new CD-- she could do a lot for bringing back a vintage-inspired look in my generation....

... however, I hate when people my age and younger see me in my vintage and say "Oh, so you're like Christina Aguilara!" :mad: They all think that I'm copying off of her and trying to be her--- I'm no poseur! She copied off of me! lol

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Oh, also, there was some mention earlier about what's known in music as "sampling".... lots of modern pop and rap sample from old songs-- they always have, only now, they're reaching back even furthur in time for their melodies and beats-- i.e. Gwen Stefani's "Wind It Up" (Sound of Music), and also her "If I Were a Rich Girl" (Fiddler on the Roof)-- (both musical examples, sorry)... Jibbs' "Chain Hang Low" (Do Your Ears Hang Low?--the children's ice cream truck song!)-- I laughed so hard when I first heard that one!

When it comes to sampling, I'm kinda on the fence-- I hate that my generation will never know some of the greatest music except for a particular portion of a melody in a rap song. On the other hand, it connects the gap a bit... my roommate is quite different from me-- while I'm listening to "oldies" and setting my hair, she's blasting rap *shudder* and practicing for her hip-hop dance team lol What an Odd Couple, no?

But the other day, I hear the opening of Little Richard's "The Girl Can't Help It" coming out of her computer. I turned to her and said:

Me: "Wow Cherie, I'm amazed that you're actually listening to something I like!"
Her: "You like this song? Where would you hear this?"
Me: "What do you mean? That's Little Richard, isn't it?"
Her: *utterly confused, looks at me like I'm an idiot* "No, its *name of some rap artist I don't remember*, duh..."

And then the song transitions into yet another rap song, with the title of "The Girl Can't Help It" used as a refrain.... I was so sad, I thought I had actually gotten through to my roommate! lol

What do you all think of such sampling in modern songs? Defiling the oldies but goodies, or bringing them to a new generation?

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Adelaidey said:
...What do you all think of such sampling in modern songs? Defiling the oldies but goodies, or bringing them to a new generation?

I think it's a very sneaky way of getting younger people interested in the good old stuff. :eusa_clap I'm all for it!

--Leslie

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Adelaidey said:
What do you all think of such sampling in modern songs? Defiling the oldies but goodies, or bringing them to a new generation?

i think one of the first times i actually noticed and liked swing music was in this song "infested" by a group called Course of Empire. it came out around 1993, so i was 13. so i guess it can be a good thing! i think when kids/teens hear something that was made popular in the music they normally listen to, they might be more interested in it than they would otherwise. instead of viewing whatever it is as nerdy old people music, maybe they'll see it as stuff that the artist they like, liked enough to sample, and thus is more cool.

Trampilot

Familiar Face
I first heard this in the bank and it sent shivers up my spine.

For a moment everything was completely perfect and here is a phrase I thought I'd never say: "I might have to buy a Christina Aguileria album."

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
ShooShooBaby said:
i think one of the first times i actually noticed and liked swing music was in this song "infested" by a group called Course of Empire. it came out around 1993.

"Infested" has swing music in it???? Am I missing something?? ;)
I never noticed swing music until the '97 Squirrel Nut Zippers craze!

Feraud

Bartender
Trampilot said:
I first heard this in the bank and it sent shivers up my spine.

For a moment everything was completely perfect and here is a phrase I thought I'd never say: "I might have to buy a Christina Aguileria album."
scary ain't it?

Rafter

Suspended
Feraud said:
I am sure her Andew Sisters routine is temporary. You can take the girl out of the grunge but not the grunge out of the girl.

You have to admit that Aguilera has some of the strongest vocal chops in the music business. But what this entire song amounts to is a sexual double entendre. The "Candyman" of the title is identified as "a one stop shop who makes my cherry pop!" She is "still the dirty little grunger." Fortunately, the energy in the video is so focused on dancing and hooks that the sexual content comes off sounding more like a wink than a wallow.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family

Imagine my chagrin when my boyfriend voluntarily bought the album and then bought a copy for me! Now I can't deny that I like it...

Oh ironic life! Now I can't even make fun of a twenty something guy buying a pop princess's album....

Feraud

Bartender
Rafter said:
You have to admit that Aguilera has some of the strongest vocal chops in the music business. But what this entire song amounts to is a sexual double entendre. The "Candyman" of the title is identified as "a one stop shop who makes my cherry pop!" She is "still the dirty little grunger." Fortunately, the energy in the video is so focused on dancing and hooks that the sexual content comes off sounding more like a wink than a wallow.
Yes, she is a fantastic singer but not my style music.
Check out the March '07 Maxim for our Miss Vintage and tell me how inspired she is by 40's fashion. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot