Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Jackets?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I always thought the Irvins looked kind of cumbersome, but that doesn't at all. Beautiful jacket and the fit's perfect.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Nick that Irvin looks fantastic and envy you guys in the Northern Climes that are able to get good use from an Irvin.

Dav

One Too Many
Thanks gents, it really is a beautiful jacket, way exceeding my expectations. Somewhat lighter than I'd anticipated, which is a good thing, imo.
Just can't seem to take it off today! :D

WTC

New in Town
Yes, I am waiting on an Aero Wayfarer with some slight modifications. I have been prowling this site looking at everyone else's jackets and trying to be patient. But, in reality, deciding what the next jacket will be!

We've had almost no snow yet here in MN either, so it's all becoming tiresome.

That jacket photo posted earlier and the Chippewa's look great. I got a steal on some "last year's discontinued" Redwings on Black Friday at a small local shoe shop. This site and the goods are addictive.

LouisBailie

Banned
I bought 4 jackets from an estate Vanson Dominator, Vanson Model A in light lether, Vanson Model B in HW cowhide and a Vanson Comet with streamliner, in a 2nd purchase I got a an Aero Roadster in steerhide, and lastly I got an Aero Anj3 in goat new I think.

All were on my list to acquire and the prices were very reasonable. I may sell the CHP because it is all talon zippered with additional collar cover and I think it belongs with a collector, I wear the stuff.

LouisBailie

Banned
This is what the guy called a "roadster" as in his road coat.....
Herc.jpg

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
I bought 4 jackets from an estate Vanson Dominator, Vanson Model A in light lether, Vanson Model B in HW cowhide and a Vanson Comet with streamliner, in a 2nd purchase I got a an Aero Roadster in steerhide, and lastly I got an Aero Anj3 in goat new I think.

All were on my list to acquire and the prices were very reasonable. I may sell the CHP because it is all talon zippered with additional collar cover and I think it belongs with a collector, I wear the stuff.

Flawless victory. You sir are a boss.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The pedantic in me would rather have the earlier type wool/cotton batting, as my real interest in flying jackets ends about 1959, but really, when it's hidden inside the lining, and you can't see it..... Interestingly, while the lining itself is later MA1-style orange, it's a matte cotton rather than a satin. Not unlike an old 1970s sleeping bag I have. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it, especially for the price. Their blurb has it as thicker and a better outer than, impliedly, the Alpha. I'd say it's at least an equal. Funnily enough, I now look at it as a 50s design, though likely when I wear it out most folks over here will associate it with the late 70s/early 80s, when this sort of civilian version was what about half the kids at school wore (I didn't, and didn't care for them at the time either, though I remember being five and standing there while future Northern Ireland soccer international Keith Gillespie was given a chewing for wearing the hood fully zipped up while crossing the road.... :lol: ).

https://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/...N3BSPARKA/0/SKU/4-175-20157-3869/Default.aspx

A couple of quick and dirty shots:

20141217_162621_LLS_zpshauazcdg.jpg

20141217_162627_zpshwctz0bl.jpg

The faux-fur round the hood is pretty damn good - quite convincing. We'll see how it ages. Thus far, though, I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a budget jacket in the n3B mould, even if it's not for those seeking an exact reproduction.

Edited to add: if anyone is considering one of these, be careful re the sizing. The numbers seem to be the size of the actual jacket rather than the person in it: I'm currently a 44-46, but I'm wearing a 4XL in this.

That's a lovely, shiny new Johnson you have there. They do some really nice stuff. I bought my D pocket used so I've not dealt directly with the company, but if it's indicative of the quality of their product, I'd definitely recommend them.

Something to look forward to to soften the blow of going back to work after the holidays, then? ;) The Board Racer is a sharp design if you're looking a cafe racer with the traditional mandarin collar.

Looks excellent Edward and the price is very attractive. A couple of questions though - what's the water resistance of the nylon and is it especially wind proof? Two things which are essential for up this way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner