Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic firearms of the classic era.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I hunt so rifles and shotguns are my bag.

But for me the ultimate "classic firearms" are English double rifles, with my favourite being the original Holland and Holland .470, beautiful, functional weapons that represent a long gone age.

Somebody mentioned the K98 earlier. Fantastic rifle with a beautiful action, my cousin uses one for deer hunting. There's a reason why the Mauser action is so copied.

DDibling

New in Town
I need to take some better pictures, but here's one of my S&W M1917. It's one of the new re-issues. I love it...the full moonclips make reloading as quick as an automatic, and it has loads of style.

Crop2.jpg

Dean

mwelch8404

Familiar Face
When I want to carry a ree-volver, I carry my .38 spl Colt Officer's Model. Has a "match" headstamp on it. Out shoots any other revolver I've ever fired...

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Right now I'm debating whether to send my Filipino Armscor 1911 to a good gunsmith or just to find a better 1911. At minimum, the Armscor's sights need to be adjusted, they're off by a country mile.

I thought it was my shooting, until I borrowed my local pistol range's Kimber and was pleasantly surprised when holes started appearing in my targets right at the spot I was aiming for. :)

Feraud

Bartender
DerMann said:
I don't dig the fact that the Soviets made 924,412,485,685,869,582,287,872,375 of them, stuck them in cosmoline, and are now being sold in "battle packs" of five for $200.

They're just not collectible.

Also, as rifles, they're very coarsely made. They don't have any of the refinements of the Mauser 98 or Lee Enfield.
None of which makes them any less a classic firearm of the classic era.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
I hunt so rifles and shotguns are my bag.

But for me the ultimate "classic firearms" are English double rifles, with my favourite being the original Holland and Holland .470, beautiful, functional weapons that represent a long gone age.

You beat me to it!!!!!

Here ya go.

royaldblrifle_1.jpg

royaldblrifle_2a.jpg

roundactionrifle_2.jpg

Too many nights with Peter Hathaway Capstick have led me to lust dearly over a double rifle. I suppose I should start playing the lottery.

Will

DerMann

Practically Family
Feraud said:
None of which makes them any less a classic firearm of the classic era.
Just because it was manufactured in the Golden Era does not make it a Classic of the era.

To me, Golden era firearms are refined and elegant, not garden variety and made to suit Russian peasants.

Feraud

Bartender
DerMann said:
Just because it was manufactured in the Golden Era does not make it a Classic of the era.

To me, Golden era firearms are refined and elegant, not garden variety and made to suit Russian peasants.
Here is where we can agree to disagree. I do not think all Classic Era ideals needs to be refined and elegant. The good old days weren't all about ballet and champagne. :rolleyes:

What have you got against Russian peasants?

DerMann

Practically Family
Unless they're in human wave form, they're not effective soldiers.

Agree to disagree, I suppose.

Custom79

One of the Regulars
New acquisition

Happy to say I just picked up a Winchester Model '97 that I have dated to 1910 and it is take-down model.

Should have it out to the range next week.

Cheers.

C79

D

DeaconKC

Carebear, I almost sprayed coffee all over when I read that!
:eusa_clap

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, I don't own a Bar-B-Que Gun, but that German Luger would be a starter :)

My picks in order for pistols:

1. Colt SAA 4 3/4 or 5 1/2" bbl
2. Colt 1911
3. Walther PPK/s

Rifles:

1. 1873 Winchester
2. 1892 Winchester

And those nice looking H&H's (I've never shot anything like them... but)

And of course the Thompson... Very fun to shoot.

Custom79

One of the Regulars
New Addition

New to the collection. A 1886 Winchester lever gun in 45-70.

It has a 4 digit serial number which dates it to 1887.

Happily.

C79

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80