Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Hollywood Kiss

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

01.jpg

127.jpg

3707_1024ts1107801464000.jpg

MBDNOTO_EC009_T.jpg

david_lean_brief_encounter.jpg

doisneau_kiss.jpg

notrs.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
Not my favorite kiss of all time ...but what can you do! [huh] a kiss is a kiss :mad:

lol ;)

gretalewis-1.jpg

I would take that........after all

You must remember this
A kiss is still a kiss
A sigh is still (just) a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by

:p :p

But I would rather have this........

Flesh_and_the_Devil_HI_RES.jpg

;) :D

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Being that Star Wars quite literally brought about THE greatest kiss of all time - mine and my mister's ;) - I'll go ahead and second Han and Leia in "The Empire Strikes Back"!

I happened to think of another one that I've always loved. It's in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" when the Pontipee brothers go to town to round up their sobbin' women. Dorcas' town beau is trying to coax a goodnight kiss out of her and she agrees to "just a little one". She closes her eyes and puckers up...just as Frank conks the unlucky sod on the noggin, grabs Dorcas and really lays one on her. "Why Carl!" she says as her eyes open, then go wide in shock. "Frank!" He tosses a blanket over her head, scoops her up and away they go!

klind65

One of the Regulars
NicknNora said:
You are correct. It was Notorious. And that kiss was notorious too. Here is some interesting trivia about "The Kiss":
Yes, I feel ambivalent about the code. In some respects, I like it because as I understand it, it filtered out a lot of ugliness and coarseness from films, - all of which I suppose they leave in today, but I do wish the code had allowed the kisses to last longer and the seductions to have been more extensive. As long as they were done in the beautiful way the classics did them, I don't see why they couldn't just have lasted longer!! I can never get enough of them, which is why I asked if anyone knew of a filmed compilation of these things. I would make one myself if I knew how! :D

NicknNora

A-List Customer
gable-and-lombard-kiss.jpg

Here is a Youtube video that has the 10 greatest Hollywood kisses (at least according to the person who put it together)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LbN_-E36pfE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LbN_-E36pfE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>/[/YOUTUBE]

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Helysoune said:
I happened to think of another one that I've always loved. It's in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" when the Pontipee brothers go to town to round up their sobbin' women. Dorcas' town beau is trying to coax a goodnight kiss out of her and she agrees to "just a little one". She closes her eyes and puckers up...just as Frank conks the unlucky sod on the noggin, grabs Dorcas and really lays one on her. "Why Carl!" she says as her eyes open, then go wide in shock. "Frank!" He tosses a blanket over her head, scoops her up and away they go!

Who wouldnt want to be smooched by a Pontipee!?:D Ah, but that was Ruth, not Dorcas. Dorcas was stolen through the window by Benjamin! LOL

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Here's another video compilation of kisses.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZJM-ihzhhY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZJM-ihzhhY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
How Could I forget?

The kiss in 'A Room With A View'!!! Probably my favorite of all time...yes, it's from 1986 but we will forget that as we listen to 'Chi Il Sogno Di Doretto' and watch Julian Sands lay a DOOZY on Helena Bonham Carter...in a field of barley, no less. *sigh*

Also, in 'The Best Years of Our Lives'. There are two great kisses. First in Fred March's homecoming to Myrna Loy which NEVER leaves me with dry eyes. And the 'wedding kiss' at the end is super sweet.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
One more compilation.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bWTrXFFQZyk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bWTrXFFQZyk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Carlisle Blues

HadleyH said:
Not my favorite kiss of all time ...but what can you do! [huh] a kiss is a kiss :mad:

lol ;)

gretalewis-1.jpg

HadleyH, as always, your posts have me thinking in ways I find challenging while compelling me to grow as a person. On it's face the above picture is a cheap kiss.

However, I think what you posted is symbolic of those relationships where one partner is in one part of the world and the other partner is in another. In spite of time and distance they manage to give the sweetest kiss even if it may be via mail or even web cam.

I know a couple that are the most romantic people: right now they are compelled to live apart yet they have a set time each day to communicate, to express their love for one another and are a committed couple.

What a beautiful love story.

From this:

colbert014.jpg

To this:

MV5BMTM3ODI0MDUwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTY.jpg

Cricket

Practically Family
Speaking of kisses, this book looks like it would be a good read. I would love to scan through these classic photographs of some of Hollywood's greatest kisses. I kind of like the "seven degrees of Kevin Bacon" style, only these are with the greats of the Golden era.

A Kiss Is a Kiss Is a Kiss: An Unbroken Circle of Love -- Hollywood Style
by Lauretta Dives

A charming Valentine, featuring photographs of classic Hollywood stars, A Kiss is a Kiss is a Kiss is a confection of a book that celebrates love, kisses, and celebrity. Who could ask for anything more? Part eye-candy, part puzzle, part romance, A KISS IS A KISS IS A KISS... is irresistible to everyone who loves movies. Elusive author Lauretta Lamour explains the premise this way: "People have been playing the movie connections game for years, based on the idea that you can trace an actor through just six movies to Kevin Bacon...Here is a quirky twist on that theme-a circle of 88 movie stars in romantic roles who kissed and loved and then moved on to the next gorgeous girl or handsome hunk."
The "circle of love" begins (and ends) with the number one screen-kisser in history, Marilyn Monroe, and moves backwards and forwards from 1933 through to the modern day. Timeless photographs of big-screen (and a few real life) lovers flow from page to page in a virtual orgy of cinematic romance. Marilyn Monroe dips down to kiss Tony Curtis who is shown on the next page snuggling with Natalie Wood who in turn cuddles up to real-life lover/husband Robert Wagner, who is shown in the next frame with Janet Leigh. The chain of love continues in this spectacular collection of nearly 100 black and white and color photographs of the classic stars, ending at last with Marilyn in the burly arms of Robert Mitchum.
As if this isn't enough, there is a gentle mystery to solve here-Ms. Lamour suggests that readers try to figure out which couples featured in the book were lovers in real life as well. The answers are given at the end of the book.
This delightful book was produced in association with theKobal Collection, the world's biggest movie stills archive.

Here is the link, if anyone would like to check it out
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?isbn=1592580521

NicknNora

A-List Customer
klind65 said:
Yes, I feel ambivalent about the code. In some respects, I like it because as I understand it, it filtered out a lot of ugliness and coarseness from films, - all of which I suppose they leave in today, but I do wish the code had allowed the kisses to last longer and the seductions to have been more extensive. As long as they were done in the beautiful way the classics did them, I don't see why they couldn't just have lasted longer!! I can never get enough of them, which is why I asked if anyone knew of a filmed compilation of these things. I would make one myself if I knew how! :D

You might like these Hollywood Kisses notecards and envelopes.

Carlisle Blues

klind65 said:
Yes, I feel ambivalent about the code. In some respects, I like it because as I understand it, it filtered out a lot of ugliness and coarseness from films, - all of which I suppose they leave in today, but I do wish the code had allowed the kisses to last longer and the seductions to have been more extensive. As long as they were done in the beautiful way the classics did them, I don't see why they couldn't just have lasted longer!!

Because the public did not want them. Further, after the United States Supreme Court ruled in 1915 (Mutual Film Corporation v. Industrial Commission of Ohio) that motion pictures were merely a business and not an art form, and thus not covered by the First Amendment, such ordinances banning the public exhibition of "immoral" films proliferated.

This was back in the days when the United States thought themselves to be puritanical and babies were born in a cabbage patch.

The reality; the powers that be feared that people were not able to be self monitoring and the Hayes Commission was tantamount to mass manipulation regarding what was proper. Such was life in the Golden Era; not pretty, not proper, not correct. This bordered on Machiavellianism as it was self serving for those in power at the time. [huh]

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
LisaFreemontSt said:
Who wouldnt want to be smooched by a Pontipee!?:D Ah, but that was Ruth, not Dorcas. Dorcas was stolen through the window by Benjamin! LOL

Oh, you are quite right!!! I miswrote. :eusa_doh: As soon as i read what you wrote, I could picture the scene, as soon as she blew out the candle. Curse my lack of coffee at that early hour!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The very sexiest, most remarkable movie kiss ever filmed is from this very movie - but it's solo. When Greta garbo kisses the communion chalice just sipped from by John Gilbert.... Holy Katzenjammer Kids.

Flesh_and_the_Devil_HI_RES.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Carlisle Blues said:
Because the public did not want them. Further, after the United States Supreme Court ruled in 1915 (Mutual Film Corporation v. Industrial Commission of Ohio) that motion pictures were merely a business and not an art form, and thus not covered by the First Amendment, such ordinances banning the public exhibition of "immoral" films proliferated.

This was back in the days when the United States thought themselves to be puritanical and babies were born in a cabbage patch.

The reality; the powers that be feared that people were not able to be self monitoring and the Hayes Commission was tantamount to mass manipulation regarding what was proper. Such was life in the Golden Era; not pretty, not proper, not correct. This bordered on Machiavellianism as it was self serving for those in power at the time. [huh]

To further add insult to injury, wasn't Hays a former Postmaster?
Was he (or anyone) qualified to dictate the morals for an entire country?

Films made from great books that had their content watered down due to The Code.
There is little wonder people look back on the past with rose colored glasses. Look at the post-Code films!

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Not classic Hollywood, but set in the 40s - in "A League of Their Own", my favorite is when Miss Cuthbert is trying to wake Jimmy after Lou the bus driver quits. lol The horrified look on both of their faces and their subsequent screams are classic.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Helysoune said:
Oh, you are quite right!!! I miswrote. :eusa_doh: As soon as i read what you wrote, I could picture the scene, as soon as she blew out the candle. Curse my lack of coffee at that early hour!

we all have our pre-coffee 'brain-poots'. LOL

I called Jimmy Stewart 'Cary Grant' the entire week last week when I was telling my friends about how much I loved Harvey. Didnt realize it until this Monday. :eusa_doh:

Carlisle Blues

Feraud said:
To further add insult to injury, wasn't Hays a former Postmaster?
Was he (or anyone) qualified to dictate the morals for an entire country?

Films made from great books that had their content watered down due to The Code.
There is little wonder people look back on the past with rose colored glasses. Look at the post-Code films!

Yes Feraud

The association was headed by Will H. Hays, a well-connected Republican lawyer who had previously been United States Postmaster General and the 1920 campaign manager for President Warren G. Harding. Hays immediately banned Fatty Arbuckle from the movies and instituted a morality clause to apply to anyone working in films. He also derailed attempts to institute federal censorship over the movies.

Sounds like a lovely free spirited time. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner