Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Hollywood Kiss

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Carlisle Blues said:
Because the public did not want them. Further, after the United States Supreme Court ruled in 1915 (Mutual Film Corporation v. Industrial Commission of Ohio) that motion pictures were merely a business and not an art form, and thus not covered by the First Amendment, such ordinances banning the public exhibition of "immoral" films proliferated.

This was back in the days when the United States thought themselves to be puritanical and babies were born in a cabbage patch.

Well, to be perfectly fair, the vast majority of films that have been made since the industry began have been "art" only in the sense that a velvet Elvis is art: looked at dispassionately, the Court could have reached no other ruling in considering an industry where the vast majority of product was ground out according to production-line formulas to meet public demand. There was no other model but industrial manufacture for them to go by.

klind65

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
The very sexiest, most remarkable movie kiss ever filmed is from this very movie - but it's solo. When Greta garbo kisses the communion chalice just sipped from by John Gilbert.... Holy Katzenjammer Kids.

Flesh_and_the_Devil_HI_RES.jpg
How right you are! That's what I mentioned about allowing the audience space for imagination - and boy what one's imagination can do with that! :D

I read somewhere that that hadn't been scripted or directed - that it was an improvisational inspiration on Garbo's part. Of course, you know that she and Gilbert were falling passionately in love during this film, so it stands as testimony to the strong feeling she had for him.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
Well, to be perfectly fair, the vast majority of films that have been made since the industry began have been "art" only in the sense that a velvet Elvis is art: looked at dispassionately, the Court could have reached no other ruling in considering an industry where the vast majority of product was ground out according to production-line formulas to meet public demand. There was no other model but industrial manufacture for them to go by.

I could not agree more!!!!!!!!!!

The judiciary is required to be a dispassionate bunch. Of course, with few innovators, a film is truly a canned response to a hackneyed premise.

However, the industry itself is considered to be filled with artists. Most with personal service contracts which are difficult to enforce, but, loaded with provisos to ensure performance. :)

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
NicknNora said:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LbN_-E36pfE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LbN_-E36pfE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>/[/YOUTUBE][/QUOTE]
can anyone tell me what the 6th movie in is before the count down starts? Its the yellowish one where the man kisses the lady's hand...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
HadleyH, as always, your posts have me thinking in ways I find challenging while compelling me to grow as a person. On it's face the above picture is a cheap kiss.

However, I think what you posted is symbolic of those relationships where one partner is in one part of the world and the other partner is in another. In spite of time and distance they manage to give the sweetest kiss even if it may be via mail or even web cam.

I know a couple that are the most romantic people: right now they are compelled to live apart yet they have a set time each day to communicate, to express their love for one another and are a committed couple.

What a beautiful love story.

It is lovely! :) Thank you for sharing Carlisle Blues.

From the western "Duel in the Sun" (1946) - Jennifer Jones and Gregory Peck.

2760993026_30f7e31332.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Roman Holiday (1953)

In this Cinderella tale in reverse, runaway Princess Ann (Audrey Hepburn) rebelled against her royal obligations and escaped the confines of her royal prison to find a 'Prince Charming' commoner - a street-smart American reporter named Joe Bradley (Gregory Peck) who was covering the royal tour in Rome. After their long day together in Rome, Princess Ann admitted that she had a tiring, but "wonderful day." Although they both dreamt of becoming closer to each other, Ann also knew she would inevitably have to part and return to her other life and duties as a monarch. In a memorable goodbye scene, she gave Joe difficult-to-hear directions after he drove her to the Embassy gate: "I have to leave you now. I'm going to that corner there and turn. You must stay in the car and drive away. Promise not to watch me go beyond the corner. Just drive away and leave me as I leave you... I don't know how to say goodbye. I can't think of any words" - Joe suggested: "Don't try" - and they sadly hugged and kissed each other for the last time
romanhol5.jpg

romanhol6.jpg

romanhol7.jpg

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Carlisle Blues said:
Roman Holiday (1953)

In this Cinderella tale in reverse, runaway Princess Ann (Audrey Hepburn) rebelled against her royal obligations and escaped the confines of her royal prison to find a 'Prince Charming' commoner - a street-smart American reporter named Joe Bradley (Gregory Peck) who was covering the royal tour in Rome. After their long day together in Rome, Princess Ann admitted that she had a tiring, but "wonderful day." Although they both dreamt of becoming closer to each other, Ann also knew she would inevitably have to part and return to her other life and duties as a monarch. In a memorable goodbye scene, she gave Joe difficult-to-hear directions after he drove her to the Embassy gate: "I have to leave you now. I'm going to that corner there and turn. You must stay in the car and drive away. Promise not to watch me go beyond the corner. Just drive away and leave me as I leave you... I don't know how to say goodbye. I can't think of any words" - Joe suggested: "Don't try" - and they sadly hugged and kissed each other for the last time
romanhol5.jpg

romanhol6.jpg

romanhol7.jpg

Love this movie!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner