Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classical glass

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's been all down hill since Denny's switched from using glass Heinz ketchup bottles to using the plastic squeeze bottles. It's much easier for a restaurant to us the all red bottles in order to keep that presence of always being filled, though it's plastic.

The upside down bottles that require no wait are nice. It's good for the home and a splash of ketchup in a pinch. The company shook it up a bit when they made green and purple ketchup. I feel that when restaurants start heading for the plastic it's another step toward taking that little piece of style out of our lives. If I have kids will they'll never know the torture of having to get the ketchup out of a small hole in a glass bottle. Of course once you've got the knack it doesn't go away, though the generations to follow wont have the knack.

I can't boycott Denny's... thoguh Denny's if you're reading, bring back the classical glass!

ideaguy

One Too Many
Take a look at the paintings of Ralph Goings- terrrific realist painter working
with the counter settings of diners as main subject matter; great handling of old glass salt shakers, peppers, ketchup,etc., one of the finest realists out there, a pure painter without the social commentary. I definitly give Mr. Goings 5 stars-
well worth the look, very reminiscent of the look of the 40's-60's, a quite different turn on the nature morte of painters like Giorgio Morandi, Robert
Cottingham, et. al.
Matt- take the time & Google Ralph Goings- I think you'll like what you see-
Michael aka ideaguy

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It may not be the restaurant's choice - they may only be able to get ketchup in plastic bottles these days. Most companies are switching to plastics for the economics of it - and it's not just that plastic's cheaper. There's also less breakage. There are probably fewer lawsuits from people who drop & break a glass bottle and then sue because there wasn't a warning on the bottle that walking through said broken glass could cause injuries.

It's lighter as well, which saves on shipping costs. And health laws in California forbids restaurants from refilling or topping off or combining partial bottles of condiments. I know - a lot do...until they're caught and fined.

It may only be an insignificant amount on a per bottle basis, but when you make millions of bottles, the savings can be huge. I know a dozen years ago, one of the executives at Alaska Airlines noticed with their in-flight lunches (now a thing of the past), a piece of lettuce was put on the plate under the potato or macaroni or whatever salad. Almost nobody ate the lettuce - it was thought of as only a garnish. They stopped putting lettuce on the plates and saved $1 million the first year. When's the last time you saw parsley used as a garnish in a restaurant?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou