Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning a grosgrain hat band

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
I have an old Whippet that has some staining? on the hat band and was wondering how to clean it. It may just be some water marking. Do you think woolite would work?, or?
Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions,etc.

First, do no harm.

How 'bout a picture or two, doctor? That might help us come up with a better diagnosis and treatment plan.

I fear that most home remedies could do more harm than good. It depends on the stain, of course, but hat band ribbon can be odd stuff. Water can indeed mark it, so your speculation in that regard might be correct. Problem is, it can be darn near impossible to make such a mark disappear. If you do attempt it, though, first try using just plain cool water. Spray it on all the way around the band and bow (so that you don't create a new "high-water" mark), and try to avoid getting any on the edge binding ribbon, so as not to water mark it. It's probably best to do this outdoors, holding the hat upside down as you spray, so that you avoid hitting the brim edge. The upside-down-outside method has the added advantage of allowing the excess water to drip harmlessly on the ground.

The good news is that the ribbon can be replaced with some comparable (or better) NOS vintage stuff. Several small hat shops are equipped for the job.

EDIT: Whatever you do, avoid anything that might scuff the ribbon. In other words, don't rub anything back and forth against the vertical grains (or ribs, or whatever you wanna call 'em).

Dewhurst

Practically Family
kabuto said:
Is the stain persperation/salt?

I have one that is perspiration/salt showing up on the black hat band. Not sure how to clean it, actually. I usually just leave them. (I know, looks bad).[huh]

Dewhurst said:
I have one that is perspiration/salt showing up on the black hat band. Not sure how to clean it, actually. I usually just leave them. (I know, looks bad).[huh]

Leaving it be might indeed be the best option. But if you figure that the stain is nasty enough that attempting to clean it wouldn't likely result in an even worse looking ribbon, you might try a solution of white vinegar and water. It's worked for me.

kabuto said:
If it's salt/persperation, can't you just dunk the hat, or wet down the section in question, in clean water, a few times?

As a general approach, I prefer taking the least drastic measures, because just about every treatment has the potential for unfavorable results. Dunking the entire hat in cold water might not seem such an extreme measure, but it certainly isn't doing the hat any favors.

If we were doing a complete renovation, and it were only the stripped-down felt body (sans liner and ribbon and sweatband, etc.) that got immersed in water, well, that would be another matter, as the body would then be reblocked and its shape restored and the leather and any other parts that might be adversely affected by water would be spared it.

White vinegar seems pretty effective at dissolving the salt that perspiration leaves behind.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
tonyb said:
As a general approach, I prefer taking the least drastic measures, because just about every treatment has the potential for unfavorable results.

That is exactly why I usually don't mess with it. One of those "Don't sweat the small stuff" things, I suppose.

Thank you for the vinegar idea. I may try that some day.

Dewhurst said:
That is exactly why I usually don't mess with it. One of those "Don't sweat the small stuff" things, I suppose.

Yup. After all, it's just a hat, right?

This is not to say that some hats aren't deserving of extra careful treatment, but a hat is but an item of attire and as such it was meant to be worn and, eventually, worn out. I can appreciate that some things are rarely if ever used for their intended purpose (valuable old cars come to mind), and for good reason. Certain old hats may also fall into that category (whether or not they do is up to their owners, of course), but the more I learn about 'em, the less precious (there's a better word) they become.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR