Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning suede shoes

Kostya

Familiar Face
I have a pair of suede/leather saddle shoes and salad dressing spilled all over the front end of one shoe (the suede part). The formerly tan color has turned into a dark, oily brown/black. Is there any way to remove this stain? I took it to a local shoe repair shop, and the guy said that the shoes are trashed. Is he right? Can I remove the oil stain, or should I just try to oil both shoes to match? I'll try to post pics when I get a chance.

thanks
Kostya

manton

A-List Customer
Oil is typically the hardest stain to get out of anything. There are cleaners who specialize in suede; you may want to contact some of them for second and third opinions, but chances are, the first diagnosis was correct.

Sorry.

NonEntity

Suspended
I'm sorry I did not see your post until now because the following procedure works quite well if done immediately after oil spills on suede.

1. Blot the area with a clean dry cotton cloth. Use a fresh portion of the cloth for each blot, and press hard each time. "Blot" mean to press down and roll, NOT rub. Get as much of the oil out as you can by doing this over and over.

2. Next, liberally dust the affected area with body or foot powder, like Ammens or good ol' Johnson's Baby powder. Press it into the suede "hairs" with a clean cloth, leave it there for a couple hours to let the powder wick the oil out, then gently brush it out with a brass suede brush. Repeat this several times.

I had a brand new pair of white bucks my cousin accidentally spilled Italian salad dressing on, and I used this procedure to get every bit of it out, though it took a lot lot of time and effort.

If all else fails, cut the leather into strips and add them into a blender with first pressing virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a packet of Good Seasonings Spicy Italian Dressing, mix on high, then pour over shredded red leaf lettuce, quartered Roma tomatoes, diced carrots, and radishes. Toss and serve. The leather will give the salad an interesting "foot" note, as well as a bit of protein.

contentmentfarm

New in Town
Though I have not tried it, I have heard that Fuller's Earth clay works well at absorbing oily stains. I think that it can work even on older stains but I'm sure it would probably take longer. Sounds like it could be worth a try.

Kostya

Familiar Face
contentmentfarm said:
Though I have not tried it, I have heard that Fuller's Earth clay works well at absorbing oily stains. I think that it can work even on older stains but I'm sure it would probably take longer. Sounds like it could be worth a try.

Any idea where you might find it?

Staredge

One of the Regulars
I work construction, and had a generator lose all of its oil all over a concrete floor......on a Saturday. By the time Monday came around, it had soaked into the floor something fierce. They spread kitty litter all over the place and left it. After a few weeks, there was no trace that oil had ever been on that floor. Now...I don't know about your shoes, but if it's a choice of taking a chance & having to throw them away or just throwing them out to begin with......well, I might give it a shot.

Mary

Practically Family
I'm curious. Did you use the fuller earth clay and did it work? Hope you can still wear them.

I also like to know where I can find some good info on shoecare in general.

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy