Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloth hats and Central FL

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Hey everyone ... I am brand new to this forum and to collecting fedoras.

Please don't run me out on a rail for this, but my first thread must include the sacrilege of mentioning (gasps :eek: ) ... cloth hats.
I have had a few newsie style hats over the years and about two years ago puchased my first "sort of" fedora. It's more of a rain hat with no style, but kept the sun off my ears. I just recently aquired an Indy Jones licensed cloth hat (I live minutes from Disney, sorry) and one el cheapo wool felt.

I am not sure if I am just looking in the wrong places or if I have no local hatters in the Central Florida area (would not be a suprise as "felt" and "wicked hot" do not play well together).

I guess I am asking two different questions ... does everyone here have to basically use eBay and online stores or are there retail shops out there with nice hats? ...
and ... how can I best care for my cloth hat now that I own it? I do not know much, so I will not be offended by even the (seemingly) stupid advice.

Thanks to all and I love this site already!
HamletJSD

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
First off, welcome to the lounge.

and- there's no problem with a cloth hat, if it's what you like.
There are brick and mortar hat shops, I'll defer to Florida members as to their locations.
I mainly buy online though, because of convenience, though, to start out, it's great so be able to try things on in person.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:
and- there's no problem with a cloth hat, if it's what you like....
I mainly buy online though, because of convenience, though, to start out, it's great so be able to try things on in person.

Well, cloth isn't necessarily what I like, simply what I could find. I guess that is the main issue; I wish to be able to see, touch, and try on a style of hat before ordering it online and I can't find any in my area.
Guess I will keep looking, but still hoping to hear from anyone else struggling with this issue and how you resolved it when you first started collecting, especially if you're near Central Florida

Thanks

duggap

Banned
welcome

Hamlet, you might want to consider looking at Panama hats for the sub-tropic weather you get in Orlando, (I graduated from Boone Hi there). Our own Panama Bob can make you about any deal you want for a good straw. You will love them and welcome to the lounge.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would recommend staying away from online shops for the moment until you've had a chance to try on some different hats in person, and also , until you've had a chance to see what kind of prices are in your area.

When I first started looking for hats I thought I would never find anything. You'll have to do a little digging, but chances are, you'll get results in about 20 minutes and 5 phone calls.

Look up a local suit and clothing store (not a chain store that hires idiots), a nice place that you know sells well-made items. Ask them if they also sell a variety of formal hats. (I say formal here because two places I called said they did sell hats, and when I got there, they were ball caps...at a respectable suit store) Chances are, they won't sell hats but they will know a reputable place that does.

I bet after a few calls, you'll already have the name, address and phone number of at least two places that sell hats. Don't be surprised if they're shops out of peoples' houses, or small alley-way stores. At least in Iowa, hats are relics to be feared. :rolleyes:

Good luck in your search!

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Duggap - Yes, that is what I have started thinking, too. That's why my first purchase was the cloth Indy hat, it's off-white and very cool compared to the wool. The brim is a bit wide for my style preference, but function outweighs in that case. A Panama would be a great way to start collecting down here ...

Undertow - Thanks also, stores that sell formal-wear were my next thought, too, but I wasn't sure if it'd work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran